Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Codies, please go after the WRC License

wfwr26wfwr26 Member Unleaded
I hope that with Dirt 4, Codies will take this title to whoever is in charge of the WRC gaming license and show them they can make a game that is a bit forgiving to pick up for the casual fan, yet have a simulation mode that is 2nd to none and make the hardcore fans happy.  Could you imagine a game from these guys that contains the full WRC and WRX world championships.  I'd pay double for a dirt rally style game with this...then to top off if it had great simulation physics, but the ability to play with arcade physics (to appeal to casual players)...a man can wish!

Codies, please go after the WRC License 30 votes

Yes, go after that License
56%
VirtuaIceManTheEqualTesterLGS469tonykart26RodgerDaviesPTunerFlexiwingTwistedgearsHabsoluteMouingWRCm260602FideonBritishBiscuitAIPacinoMosquito24850wytrychFitter22M4 17 votes
No, dumb idea
43%
RallycameramanKingOfCoinsdwkGraveyenamelDarraghLynchBirdman44PorkhammerversediSirPhilMcKrakennystedt88thescousestigenginebuildmyNameIsYesAndN 13 votes

Comments

• VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Co-Driver
    The only issue might be that the official WRC license would mean Codemasters would have to make tracks for all of the rallies on the calendar, and could be limited to only WRC cars in the current year alone.

Having no license = more flexible, but some restrictions. Although if Codemasters created an engine into which content could be plugged, they could release rallies gradually over the year, to build up the WRC game perhaps. If they ever got the license!
  • SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Member Petrol Head
    No, dumb idea
    The only issue might be that the official WRC license would mean Codemasters would have to make tracks for all of the rallies on the calendar, and could be limited to only WRC cars in the current year alone.

Having no license = more flexible, but some restrictions. Although if Codemasters created an engine into which content could be plugged, they could release rallies gradually over the year, to build up the WRC game perhaps. If they ever got the license!
    These exact reasons are why I voted no to this, and I think releasing content would over time like that would be a hell of a lot of work for CM which I don't think they could justify the time and effort. 
  • wfwr26wfwr26 Member Unleaded

These exact reasons are why I voted no to this, and I think releasing content would over time like that would be a hell of a lot of work for CM which I don't think they could justify the time and effort. 
    But the ground work is laid...they've got 6 rallies completed...3 more coming this year...the physics are in place...so realistically car models and a few more locations...Honestly I just really want to be able to drive a properly modeled and handling full blown wrc car...but cant because of the licensing.
  • versediversedi Member Petrol Head
    edited January 27
    No, dumb idea
    wfwr26 said:

But the ground work is laid...they've got 6 rallies completed...3 more coming this year...the physics are in place...so realistically car models and a few more locations...Honestly I just really want to be able to drive a properly modeled and handling full blown wrc car...but cant because of the licensing.
    And that's the exact reason why they license everything. So you want, you will buy, they will earn, while there are other more serious title to play for a more demanding players. It is said unfortunately. 
    „The speed was okay, but the corner was too tight.”

• dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Steward
    No, dumb idea
    Not a dumb idea, but a limiting one. Look at the F1 games: historic cars one year, as DLC, and then gone the next. CM making a WRC game with 2017 cars and all 13 rallies built on Dirt Rally would be awesome, but that would almost certainly mean losing the breadth of cars the Dirt games offer, just talking rally alone, not to mention other creative restrictions.
    DiRT 4 notes: Everything we know so far | DiRT Rally notes: All the cars, stages, and more

• enamelenamel Member Co-Driver
    No, dumb idea
    First, I don't think it is a dumb idea.
    However the disappearance of Dirt 2 is a direct effect of licensing, and when games become unavailable we lose a part of our history, not to mention that people that may have never played it now no longer get that chance. Licensing is much more of a hindrance than a help in gaming IMO.
  • DarraghLynchDarraghLynch Member New Car Smell
    No, dumb idea
    Not a dumb idea but not justifiable. The amount of work require to create all the new locations would result in a game of much lower quality. Also worth noting that  Codemasters cannot feature Toyota's due to a disagreement with them before therefore WRC probably wouldnt be interestred if they couldnt feature the 2017 Yaris WRC
  • AIPacinoAIPacino Member New Car Smell
    edited February 14
    All of the statements above are correct, but DiRT 4 is a blatent example of that not having the license nowadays brings a lot of heartbreaking limitations.

Here are the most critic examples:

They couldn't use the work done in DiRT Rally to improve DiRT 4 (stages).
    No real stages anymore like done in DiRT Rally (this one is probably the most silly because those tracks shouldn't be licensed at all because they are part of a country not part of a damn competition. It's the competition that goes to those tracks, so the fact that WRC licensed their use is just plain retarded...)
    No Monte Carlo and a few other rally locations present in DiRT Rally.
    No WRC cars.

This whole licensing stuff is a big mess because of its exclusivity to one single developer - and after Evolution Studios only crappy developers have been picked for licensing, with crappy games.

However, having the WRC license isn't 100% satisfactory because like some people stated,  WRC might force Codemasters to feature only current WRC cars. The stages themselves aren't a problem because  we've seen with DiRT Rally that Codemasters has the resources and time to make them, specially now with the Evolution team, but being only limited to WRC cars is  silly and not worth at all.

The best solution would be to acquire the license for the full WRC calendar in order for Codemasters to be able to put the 14 rallies with their real stages like they've been doing with DiRT Rally and add the Your Stage feature to that would be perfect.
    Having the WRC calendar (I still can't get over with this licensing stuff about the stages, because it doesn't make sense at all), Codemasters would be free to choose the cars they wanted to feature, specially from past eras.
    Even if that means no current WRC cars, it doesn't really matter because having the whole 90s and early 2000s classes will satisfy the majority of the community because the legendary cars with the legendary pilots are in between that period.

In the perfect reasonable world, FIA licenses would be available for purchase for multiple developers so that we players could choose the best game freely. Better yet would be a licensing by packages (Calender + Cars + liveries). All these barriers are stupid and that's why rally gaming in the early 2000s was way better and we had way more options because these restrictions didn't exist at all. It was so much easier to include the legendary cars as a whole from each class. This licensing stuff is all a huge waste of potential and money.

One thing is for sure:

We at some point should be able to get a proper rally game using today's technology and knowledge which features:

- The full WRC calendar.
    - Real stages top to bottom.
    - Complete 90s, Early 2000s and WRC classes.
    - Proper simulation physics.
    - Proper rally environment.

So far, only Codemasters has been able to achieve these parameters with a very satisfactory level and they haven't been doing more because of licensing restrictions. FIA should really consider about leaving the gaming part to who really understands it and that's Codemasters + Evolution, instead of forcing developers to develop crappy games that will only bring expense.
  • thescousestigthescousestig Member New Car Smell
    No, dumb idea
    I stopped watching WRC in the mid-noughties. 

It's boring!!!

Same old stages, same old cars, same winners...blah blah  blah.

Roll on D4
    XBL Gamertag - "Ka1idor"