Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

No VR support in DIRT 4 ??

After the awesome VR support in Dirt Rally, i expected that from now on every codemasters title would have support for VR. Almost every simracer that has tried racing in VR can't go back to racing on a flat screen anymore.  It's almost as if VR was designed for Simracing and it gives you an unparalleled sense of immersion and presence.

Than came F1 2016 and in the pre-release communication nothing was mentioned about VR support.  Now many months later it's safe to assume that F1 2016 will not get support for racing in Virual Reality.

I'm afraid that Dirt 4 is heading in the same direction. Nothing mentioned about VR support again. Things are not looking so good.

Comments

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    http://www.redbull.com/sg-en/dirt-4-interview-red-bull-games

Been mentioned a couple of times, search this article for it.
  • RogerRamjet77RogerRamjet77 Member Wheel Nut
    Good Grief ... I just read that article and when I got to the line where Paul stated, "With regards to VR, it’s something that we will be looking at once we’ve seen people’s reaction to DiRT Rally on PSVR"  my heart absolutely sunk.  I mean it is good that they are going to "look at it" but that sounds so lame because it totally neglects the fact so many PC users with Rifts & Vive bought this game because it has the best VR implementation yet.  Sorry but it is such a kick in the guts, I just thought it would be a natural progression that of course VR would be in for sure, no way not ... Please don't hang it all on PSVR Codies ! :'( 
  • DytutDytut Member Team Principal
    Good Grief ... I just read that article and when I got to the line where Paul stated, "With regards to VR, it’s something that we will be looking at once we’ve seen people’s reaction to DiRT Rally on PSVR"  my heart absolutely sunk.  I mean it is good that they are going to "look at it" but that sounds so lame because it totally neglects the fact so many PC users with Rifts & Vive bought this game because it has the best VR implementation yet.  Sorry but it is such a kick in the guts, I just thought it would be a natural progression that of course VR would be in for sure, no way not ... Please don't hang it all on PSVR Codies ! :'( 
    Well the VR market is still rather small, so it's a numbers game if it's worth it. The PSVR has a chance of becoming a much bigger platform. That being said, if D4 sells well they got some cash to throw on prestige things like VR.
    Though not explicitly stated the Oculus VR of DR most probably was paid for by Oculus, or it would never happen. All the same, the PSVR implementation was probably sponsored by Sony to promote PSVR. 
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Steward
    edited February 1
    Yeah the VR market is relatively small, but in my opinion that's the reason that devs NEED to implement VR support from launch. It's essential that there are games supporting the tech because it's not the tech that makes VR successful, but rather the games. That's why the Kinect failed. The tech was very good, but no big games utilized it fully, causing Kinect to fail. No one is going to invest in VR if there are no games to play with right? :smile:
  • TURBODEVIN19TURBODEVIN19 Member Petrol Head
    Areyouben said:
    No one is going to invest in VR if there are no games to play with right? :smile:
    Exactly, only reason I did was because DiRT Rally would be supported. Have done a bit of project cars and tried some demos, but apart from that it's only DiRT Rally it's being used for. Would be a shame if DiRT 4 wouldn't be supported. Especially the buggies and crosskarts should be a whole other experience then DiRT Rally has been.

Steam
    : turbodevin | GFWL: TURBODEVIN19 | Twitter: turbodevin

DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally VR | DiRT 4 | DTM Race Driver 3 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport LBE | F1 2013 CE | Toybox Turbos

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition
  • Alf72Alf72 Member Co-Driver
    Dytut said:

Though not explicitly stated the Oculus VR of DR most probably was paid for by Oculus, or it would never happen. All the same, the PSVR implementation was probably sponsored by Sony to promote PSVR. 
    If what you are saying it's right, is the reason why they never implemented HTC VIVE, in DiRT Rally, even with many VIVE owner's asking for it ( a.k.a. exclusive deal )

CMR | DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID AutoSport | F1 2013

Wheel - G27 | Pedals - G27 w/ Nixim Springs | Shifter - G27 | Handbrake - Extreme 3D Pro

" Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows " - Walter Rohrl

• AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Steward
    edited February 1
    Livestreaming DR VR for fun, who wouldn't want to experience this? :open_mouth:

Edit, yeah i'm useless in these rwd's lol. but fun nonetheless
    Post edited by Areyouben on

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-02-01-its-better-than-its-ever-been-at-codemasters

Coleman won't get caught up chasing trends, either. Codemasters is experimenting with VR with a new mode for Dirt Rally, but the team isn't getting distracted with it for Dirt 4. Not yet.

"I don't think suddenly everyone will be playing VR games in the next five years," he says. "Those that really love VR will really embrace it and those that struggle with it will never consider spending the amount of money that the hardware costs. It's not a niche, but there's definitely work that needs to be done with it as a platform. I think PlayStation VR does a good job of making it more affordable and achievable, but there are still things in the hardware that needs addressing."

Just wanted to share this here, not sure how to interpret it

Steam

DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally VR | DiRT 4 | DTM Race Driver 3 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport LBE | F1 2013 CE | Toybox Turbos

• BennizBenniz Member Pit Crew
    I got myself a Rift last summer because of the VR feature in DR and other racing games. I'll never go back to gaming on a screen again if I have the choice!
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    i think they realize that it can be implemented.just is it worth it ~?

last few years the salesmen been pumping it hard and if we honest its no where.the VR revolution is a long way away yet. 5 -10 years yet. why ?

as i have said for a few years.they are two big. they need to be spectacle size.they are too expensive.they are pretty new.so even if you can afford them is it worth buying what will be succeeded every six months . also the game support is pretty small amongst mainstream titles.

also those of us who are older will remember this tech has been tried for 25 years or more. it will come its just not yet. so while i get some are sad probably because they brought them already and it works its just not the time for VR.
  • SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Member Team Principal

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-02-01-its-better-than-its-ever-been-at-codemasters

Coleman won't get caught up chasing trends, either. Codemasters is experimenting with VR with a new mode for Dirt Rally, but the team isn't getting distracted with it for Dirt 4. Not yet.

"I don't think suddenly everyone will be playing VR games in the next five years," he says. "Those that really love VR will really embrace it and those that struggle with it will never consider spending the amount of money that the hardware costs. It's not a niche, but there's definitely work that needs to be done with it as a platform. I think PlayStation VR does a good job of making it more affordable and achievable, but there are still things in the hardware that needs addressing."

Just wanted to share this here, not sure how to interpret it
    I understand where hes coming from since I've owned a Rift since June last year, as a platform it still has some work to become more mainstream and adoptable. The biggest drawbacks so far are its not cheap (especially as you need the hardware to also run VR) but the FOV isn't very high and the screen quality is subpar of that of a monitor.

But I find it easy to look past as you have a 3D view of inside a car and you can look around in any direction you want which for a rally game is a very important part of it to keep looking where you want to go while the car is sliding.

Currently, all recent racing sims except rFactor 2 (but its coming) have VR support and I think the majority if not all of future releases will have it at release. I can definitely see why CM are reluctant to do it at release but I would urge them to really consider it. Dirt Rally often makes it into the top VR games even by people who never really played racing games before.
    SirPhilMcKraken said:

I understand where hes coming from since I've owned a Rift since June last year, as a platform it still has some work to become more mainstream and adoptable. The biggest drawbacks so far are its not cheap (especially as you need the hardware to also run VR) but the FOV isn't very high and the screen quality is subpar of that of a monitor.

But I find it easy to look past as you have a 3D view of inside a car and you can look around in any direction you want which for a rally game is a very important part of it to keep looking where you want to go while the car is sliding.
    I have owned one since around June last year as well. And I agree, quality and FOV are something that bothers me, but whenever I'm playing DiRT Rally, it's in VR. Purely because of being able to see it in actual 3D, and being able to just look where you're going instead of at the screen. It's just so immersive that I don't care about the lower quality anymore once I've put it on and am driving around.

Steam

SirPhilMcKraken said:

I have owned one since around June last year as well. And I agree, quality and FOV are something that bothers me, but whenever I'm playing DiRT Rally, it's in VR. Purely because of being able to see it in actual 3D, and being able to just look where you're going instead of at the screen. It's just so immersive that I don't care about the lower quality anymore once I've put it on and am driving around.
    Yeah, it makes a world of difference and after a while you don't really notice it as you aren't focusing on individual pixels. For me, having VR capability in a simulator is a no-brainer. I actually use it more for racing games than Touch games (in which I haven't touched my Touch (hah) in about 3 weeks.
    SirPhilMcKraken said:

Yeah, it makes a world of difference and after a while you don't really notice it as you aren't focusing on individual pixels. For me, having VR capability in a simulator is a no-brainer. I actually use it more for racing games than Touch games (in which I haven't touched my Touch (hah) in about 3 weeks.
    Yea I haven't even really considered getting the Touch, not that there would be enough space around my PC to be jumping around and all if I could be bothered to do so. 

Steam

SirPhilMcKraken said:

Yea I haven't even really considered getting the Touch, not that there would be enough space around my PC to be jumping around and all if I could be bothered to do so. 
    I was very excited for it to come out, was counting down the days. I think its been the lack of games I have at the moment, its been an expensive month or two for me. I do want to get some more and get back into it, I think I have too many hobbies though xD I've gotten back into making music, got things after work on Tuesday and Wednesday and this doesnt count spending time with the other half. Might give something a go tonight, got a free weekend as well which is going to be good.
  • AttackmackAttackmack Member New Car Smell
    I have to say I was fully expecting D4 to ship with VR support.
    VR took Dirt Rally to a whole new experience and is among the best, if not the best, implementation of VR ive yet experienced and one of the go-to games I use when showing VR to my friends, most of which completely agree:
    It feels like your actually in the car, racing down the roads!

Of course a single customer wont account for anything and I understand Codemasters have other interests then charity for a minority of VR users but I will hold off on purchase until VR is implemented and I really hope its sooner rather then later.
  • membranmembran Member New Car Smell
    It's rather simple for me. No VR support in a post-2016 racing game - no buy. 
  • AttackmackAttackmack Member New Car Smell
    membran said:
    It's rather simple for me. No VR support in a post-2016 racing game - no buy. 
    Its the same for me, after experiencing it once I cant back away from it.

Its weird IMO to base their decision on the PSVR feedback, I would assume most players on PS4 will play with controller and external camera view, they wont be interested in VR implementation and the feedback therefore will be lacking and shallow. Of course most players on PC doesnt use VR either but I would guess more do and will keep doing so.

I might be wrong and this is just me being bitter but yeah, this is sad news :neutral:
    I have to say I was fully expecting D4 to ship with VR support.
    VR took Dirt Rally to a whole new experience and is among the best, if not the best, implementation of VR ive yet experienced and one of the go-to games I use when showing VR to my friends, most of which completely agree:
    It feels like your actually in the car, racing down the roads!

Of course a single customer wont account for anything and I understand Codemasters have other interests then charity for a minority of VR users but I will hold off on purchase until VR is implemented and I really hope its sooner rather then later.
    From what Paul said, it hinges on the success of PSVR due to that currently being the biggest and most acessible VR audience. DR on PSVR is great from what I tried so I hope it works out. It is personally why I haven't bought F1 but D4 I will still get on release
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited February 2

Like CPUs, video cards, & other hardware, VR will probably start getting more games to support it better when game-makers are financially incentivized to build & optimize games for it.

Remember how start-up loading screens in games often have Intel, AMD, and/or Nvidia logos indicating that those games are optimized for those brands of hardware? Remember in-game paint-jobs, billboards, & other cosmetics displaying those company logos? Those hardware companies make deal$ with game companies to increase their own exposure & market share against their competitors by having more games tailored for their brand of hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the competing VR platforms start using the same approach.

I would think that it's still too costly & risky for game-makers to voluntarily/freely take on the task of developing for VR. The user base is relatively small, so there's not much ROI expected. VR itself is in a very fluid & evolving state, so we're probably still a long way from solid universal standards - requiring a lot of work to get VR games to function well on multiple separate brands of VR devices.

I think It's up to VR as a platform to first prove itself in the market and to make it as easy as possible to develop for it before more game-makers will see the profit potential in developing/optimizing games for it. Until then, that's the risk & the waiting game that early adopters take when consumers buy new stuff so early in its life cycle.

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. They listen to our money more than our requests & complaints. They'll continue selling whatever we continue buying. What we put up with, we end up with. If we want better, we have to stop throwing money at worse. A game's "success" is not measured by how much people play it & enjoy it, but by how many copies it sells & its media scores/ratings. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games that reliably function properly just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect."