Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Is the pace notes on Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 really all you need to do good on a unknown stage?

HikikomoriGamerHikikomoriGamer Member New Car Smell
It's a question for guys that play better than me of course!

Maybe it's just me sucking but sometimes I think that the pace notes on Dirt Rally could be a little more detailed but I can be wrong if someone better than me can do a entire unknown stage and win without messing everything because of the co driver.

If I'm right it could be a good time to say it here since in DR you can get away with that as long you get used to the tracks and memorize it but in D4 s*** is going to get real :)

Comments

• boganibogani Member Champion
    You can win career stages with pace notes but to do well in dailies I would say you need to know the stage inch by inch. There are lots of places where you can carry more speed than the pace notes suggests.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• BennizBenniz Member Pit Crew
    I'd like more detailed notes too. Especially distances between corners/crests and the length of the corners.
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Benniz said:
    I'd like more detailed notes too. Especially distances between corners/crests and the length of the corners.
    We already have that
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    No one ever came first on an unknown track just by listening to the co driver.

At least, not on DiRT Rally.

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• HikikomoriGamerHikikomoriGamer Member New Car Smell
    edited February 13
    bogani said:
    You can win career stages with pace notes but to do well in dailies I would say you need to know the stage inch by inch. There are lots of places where you can carry more speed than the pace notes suggests.
    Yeah but D4 will not have this thing where you know the track and even in the career mode of D4 you get like 3 retries if you're using simulation mode? I think I saw it in a video somewhere and it got me worried :( Cause now if I lose a track in career mode the game generates another till I can do in 3 tries or just auto save and that way I will lose forever? I know it's not the recommend way to play but I like to do career modes so at least in DR I would retry some of the tracks till I get points to at least win the tourney :)

Really? Sooo that's my fear right there! Since D4 look like to have the same notes system in DR and now all tracks are unknown how ppl like me that sucks can win without turning into some kind of pro driver? :)

Don't get me wrong since the manly DR rally approach I started to love Codemasters and the game and I have no problem practicing and keep trying to win and I never thought I would have the same hours in a race game like I have in Dark Souls :) BUT Dark Souls is difficult but fair and I want D4 be too! Losing because of the co driver can ruin D4! :(

I know maybe I'm asking stupid questions but sometimes would be great to get a dev response saying everything is going to be all right hahaha
  • BadD0gBadD0g Member Race Engineer
    Career mode stages are fixed, you can memorize them if you want. They're made with the stage generator, but they've been curated by the devs so your career starts with easier stages and gets progressively more challenging. But yeah, you'll be able to run them over and over if that's what you want, but you shouldn't be concerned about not winning because of the pacenotes. Memorization only matters if you want to be on the top of the online leaderboards, for the career the notes give you plenty of information.
    |  CPU: i7-4790K  |  RAM: 16GB  |  GPU: MSI 970  |  OS: Win7  |  [D0gfish] on Steam
    Dirty Forumers League - "Missile vs Bullet" 3rd place 
    edited February 14
    Thanks for the inside info man! Just hope the career mode is great and more professional like devs said :)

But still we need almost perfect pace notes for online modes where you can't retry! No one complains about it in Dirty Rally cause you can practice and memorize but in D4 it can be a disaster :(

I know nothing about rally but using Your stage also means that maybe times made in online events will be more like real life times cause ppl playing will have to play like their own life is in danger so I can't wait to see how it is!!!!
    @KevM No, we don't have distances between the corners and crests - go for a spin and listen to the notes again:smile:
    Sometimes there are notes that tell you how long the corners are, but that's very seldom.
  • DytutDytut Member Race Engineer
    Benniz said:
    @KevM No, we don't have distances between the corners and crests - go for a spin and listen to the notes again:smile:
    Sometimes there are notes that tell you how long the corners are, but that's very seldom.
    Uhm... yeah we do. In quite a lot of places @KickUp tells us how long the straight after a corner is. 
    Just to prove my point, first youtube video of DR I found:

Right 6 long tightens 40 <- 40 is 40 metres.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

edited February 14
    Fair point (I might have stopped listening while driving after so many hours of driving), on that stage there were a lot of distances in the pace notes, however there suddenly are some parts where there are no distances at all. Anyway, my point is that I hope they continue their good work from DiRT Rally, and make the pace notes for DiRT 4 a little more complex so it is possible to drive fast from the word go in the stages generated by Your Stage. Consistently having distances and the length of corners in the pace notes will make it a whole lot easier :smile:

• SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion

Really?
    Really.
    I never thought I would have the same hours in a race game like I have in Dark Souls :) BUT Dark Souls is difficult but fair and I want D4 be too! Losing because of the co driver can ruin D4! :(

I know maybe I'm asking stupid questions but sometimes would be great to get a dev response saying everything is going to be all right hahaha
    Funnily enough, when DiRT Rally first came out lots of people were calling it the Dark Souls of racing games.
    Don't worry about it. You'll find the devs giving out all kinds of information in the DiRTy Gossip thread, the link takes you to the part of the thread where DiRT4 was announced.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/203/dirty-gossip-thread/p688

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

Thanks for all the info guys! Anyway the concern is there all we can do is wait for a full gameplay video or something with updated pace notes to calm us down. Maybe get Porkhammer and other good players for some challenge on those Dirty shows and see if the notes do not do any damage to their style :)

In the end I might have made a stupid topic cause you know...I'm not a long time fan but Codemasters are out there for a long time and they have a lot of experience! It would be stupid to make a new tech to generate tracks that you can't win because of the co driver hahahaha

• SimVansevenantSimVansevenant Member Co-Driver
    If you have to rely on your co-driver, you'll have to reduce your pace a bit until you feel comfortable with your speed on a certain rally. After a while you can gradually increase your speed but don't overdo it. Only then will you achieve decent times and maybe win rallies (online). Of course you also have to have a certain amount of talent. It rarely happens that someone who pushes really hard ends up on top on unknown stages because at one point he most definitely will make a mistake and lose quite a lot of time and places.