Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Developers, could you please add PS4 Pro support to VR as promised? EDIT: it's there in some form

ShocchizShocchiz Member New Car Smell
I just bought the VR expansion as I believed what I found here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/dirtgame/status/819845802206044161

Unfortunately there's no Pro support at all (it's not in the patch notes and it's clearly not there, I tested the game with both standard and Pro, I have both).
No Pro support is very bad for VR, so it's not something trivial, and I don't get why you promised something you didn't deliver (I wouldn't have bought the expansion with no Pro support).

Will Pro support be added sooner or later?
Thanks.
Post edited by Shocchiz on

Comments

• ShocchizShocchiz Member New Car Smell
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/17/dirt-rally-ps-vr-out-today-ps4-pro-optimized/

Wow, it's advertised here too but no details were given.

Could some official please tell us what's going on?
    What are EXACTLY those improvements?

Pro support in VR titles is very obvious, I see zero improvements in DR (I have both consoles side by side, I tested and owned literally all VR titles). Resolutution is the same, alising is the same, textures are the same, lightining effects are the same, shadows are the same, etc etc.

What's wrong? Could we have an official answer?
    Thank you.
  • DytutDytut Member Team Principal
    To quote @ChristinaMc in the article you linked:
    The PS VR DLC is PS4 Pro optimized, but the base game isn’t.

So I hope you compare VR version on both platforms.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

Dytut said:
    To quote @ChristinaMc in the article you linked:
    The PS VR DLC is PS4 Pro optimized, but the base game isn’t.

So I hope you compare VR version on both platforms.
    Sure, it's just the VR version.
    I actually have the game on PC too, bought when it was in early access, on day one too, so I am a fan.
    I bought the PS4 version JUST for the VR support, I have the PSVR hardware and nothing else, so I'm not really happy right now.
    As we are quoting Christina, "The PS VR update comes PS4 Pro optimized, and you’ll literally be able to see the difference with the graphical improvements it brings — so those of you with the hardware can enjoy the benefits of your PS4 Pro."
    Well, were are the differences?
    Really, could we have an answer?
    I really belive something went wrong in the patch process as there's NO difference at all.
    Is it possible to post VR screenshot? I'll do that tomorrow if no answer is given.
    edited February 18
    I did more testing and tried a different stage.
    I noticed there's some more debris on the ground in the Pro version, so there's a difference, and maybe it's stage related, I guess a side to side comparison will reveal more (I don't have 2 vr sets).
    What I can say is that at first glance the difference between pro and std isn't really noticeable, so std vr players aren't really missing anything.
    I guess some supersampling on the Pro would the the real deal, the aliasing is really disctracting (it's actually better NOT having the additional debris on the ground as they are "frying" due to insanely low resolution).
    Well, I'll just call it a day and play, the VR version is soooooo good, as good as this fantastic game.

Post edited by Shocchiz on
  • likewiselikewise Member Pit Crew
    It seems that PS4 Pro is in a bit of a grey zone at the moment, I was under the impression that "ALL" Games released after the PRO launch would be optimized for the PRO system. It seems that it isn't he case as the guys at DIRT4 said only "we are looking into it"! I would pick up a VR for PS4 but only if games support the PRO and are optimized for the PRO as otherwise the system isn't much use is it?
  • maxx69683maxx69683 Member New Car Smell
    likewise said:
    It seems that PS4 Pro is in a bit of a grey zone at the moment, I was under the impression that "ALL" Games released after the PRO launch would be optimized for the PRO system. It seems that it isn't he case as the guys at DIRT4 said only "we are looking into it"! I would pick up a VR for PS4 but only if games support the PRO and are optimized for the PRO as otherwise the system isn't much use is it?

Pro is getting a boost mode in the next PS update which unleashes the pros power . it seems it will increase frame rates quite a bit .
    Just got picked up the VR version of dirt on a standard PS4 and it's awesome 
  • madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    I've tried the PS4 pro with boost mode and it certainly speeds up dirt rally and gets rid of the screen tearing. Just gotta decide whether to splash out on VR now.
  • SalsaketchupSalsaketchup Member New Car Smell
    I'm working on a video to show a comparison between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro for PSVR, there are differences and some of them are more noticeable than others. The first that I have noticed is the draw distance for track-side detailed models (trees ect), on the ps4 load closer than on the Pro.

The other big difference is to do with effects applied to the windscreen and other windows; it's like there is whole effects layer(s) that are in the Pro but not the PS4 i.e. the glass is not as noticeable on a standard PS4 and when there is weather effects there is a lot more going on on the glass of the Pro like rain drops, snow and splash effects. Hell crash a lot and the cracks in glass don't seem to have the same depth/clarity to them.

The difference in surface effect doesn't end with the glass, stick your head out of the car over water in the rain and the difference in clarity of the rain drops on the surface of the water is very obvious to me.

Codie has been very clever with what they have done with the PS4 and the Pro, for the PS4 the parts that really matter i.e. the road surface it's self, there is no noticeable difference between the PS4 and the Pro, but look at the roadside with a critical eye and you will start to see. Then try anything where there is effects on the glass (weather easy to spot) or other spot effects like driving into a snowbank and reversing, the Pro has snow particles that fly up from the tiers where as the PS4 has a light mist.
  • SalsaketchupSalsaketchup Member New Car Smell
    Here is my PS4 vs PS4 Pro comparison video of Dirt Rally VR for the PSVR; take a look for the differences that I found.

• enginebuildenginebuild Member New Car Smell
    Hi, Nice interesting video. So it's my PS4 Pro fault I crashed in Wales... Couldn't see a thing with all that rain