Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

ToCA Race Driver 1 - how to install it if the installer on the CD-ROM fails (e.g. on Win8.1 64bit)

VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Petrol Head
Important note to Codemasters: the method below doesn't involve any hacking, cracks or illegal downloads, so please don't think this is dodgy! It's just getting around the Windows Installer/InstallShield bug that occurs when installing this game!

If installing ToCA Race Driver 1 gives you a pop-up with "Severe" and "Error Reading Install Configuration" (happens most often on 64bit machines I hear) then here's how to get around it and get the game running! This guide applies to the original UK 2 CD-ROM version of the game. If you have a different version (or DTM Race Driver or Pro Race Driver) then the guide below may help, but you might have to do things a little differently and I can't help with that, as I only have the UK edition here.

Installation:
There's two ways to install the game. If you have another PC or a virtual machine that the game will install on, simply copy the game's install folder over onto your current PC (where it won't install). If you can do this route then do so, and skip to step 4 below.

If you can't do the above, then it's time to do a manual install! This is a bit time-consuming but relatively straightfoward, just follow these steps:

1. Create a folder on your hard disk to put the game in. For this example I'll use c:\games\tocard1
2. Inside the c:\games\tocard1 folder, create the following folders and sub-folders (note the 4 sub-folders inside the "sound" folder). We'll be putting files in these in a minute:

c:\games\tocard1\GameData
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\anim
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\cardata
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\cars
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\chamship
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\dll
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\frontend
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\shaders
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sky
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\cars
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\collamb
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\frontend
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\ptspech
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\trakmod0
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\trakmod1
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\traktex0
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\traktex1

3. Now it's time to populate the folders above with contents. To do this requires the extracting of the many .cab files on the DISC 2 CD-ROM (the Data CD). You can use Windows to open these .cab files, but it's rather slow, so I recommend opening them in 7zip, which is fast and free (http://www.7-zip.org/). Here's what to extract to each folder (please follow this carefully to avoid errors!):

c:\games\tocard1\
Firstly, in the root tocard1 folder, put the following files from the CD-ROM's "program files\Codemasters\Race Driver" folder:
binkw32.dll
GameSpy
HardwareSetup.exe
RaceDriver.exe
rd.bmp
Register
test.exe
Additionally you can add the readme.txt of the language you prefer from the eng/fre/ger/ita/spa sub-folder on the CD-ROM.

Next up, the content for the other folders. These seem straightforward, but some have a few files from different locations and some that need renaming (notably the "dll" and "frontend" folders), so follow this carefully:

c:\games\tocard1\GameData <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM root.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\anim <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM anim.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\cardata <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM cardata.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\cars <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM cars.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\chamship <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM chamship.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\dll <- this folder needs 3 .dll files. Two need extracting from the MATHCP~1.cab and MATHPI~1.cab files, whilst the third is located in the CD-ROM sub-folder "program files\Codemasters\Race Driver\GameData\dll\"
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\frontend <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM frontend.cab folder here. Once you have done this, go into this frontend folder and rename two files as follows:
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\frontend\_dfe.big <- rename to 3dfe.big
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\frontend\_dfe.ini <- rename to 3dfe.ini

c:\games\tocard1\GameData\shaders <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM shaders.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sky <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM sky.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM sound.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\cars <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM SOUNDC~1.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\collamb <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM SOUNDC~2.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\frontend <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM SOUNDF~1.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\sound\ptspech <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM SOUNDP~1.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\trakmod0 <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM trakmod0.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\trakmod1 <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM trakmod1.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\traktex0 <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM traktex0.cab folder here
c:\games\tocard1\GameData\traktex1 <- extract the contents of the CD-ROM traktex1.cab folder here

4. The next step is to set up the Registry strings, so the game can work properly. The Registry lines included below are for use on a 64bit machine, hence they include the Wow6432Node\ part. If you're installing on 32bit (for some reason; the installer *should* work for you!) then remove this part. The following lines you may wish to change (remember to use double-slashes \\ instead of single ones when giving the path to the files):

LANGUAGE = could try other values (eng/fre/ger/ita/spa), but not tested this, so it might fail!
PATH_MAIN and PATH_APPLICATION = change these to the correct path to where the GameData and game folder are located, if you didn't use the c:\games\tocard1 mentioned originally.
PATH_CD = change this to your CD-ROM drive, if it's not the E:\ drive
The other values are specific to the UK verson of ToCA Race Driver, so change them at your own risk!

To use these lines, copy them out into NotePad, then edit as necessary, and save as ToCARD1.reg somewhere. Locate this .reg file and double-click it to install the Registry settings.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Codemasters\Race Driver]
"LANGUAGE"="eng"
"SKU"="eur"
"PATH_MAIN"="C:\\Games\\tocard1\\GameData"
"PATH_APPLICATION"="C:\\Games\\tocard1"
"PATH_CD"="E:\\"
"NAME_APPLICATION"="ToCA Race Driver"
"NAME_CD"="ToCA Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1)"
"TITLEBAR"="ToCA Race Driver"
"NO_DRIVE"="Please insert the disc labelled ToCA Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1) into your CD drive."
"NO_DISC"="Please insert the disc labelled ToCA Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1) into your CD drive."
"WRONG_DISC"="Please insert the disc labelled ToCA Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1) into your CD drive."

5. Before you run the game, there's a couple of other steps necessary. Firstly, install EAX sound extensions, so you can have surround sound (if you use a card that supports EAX, for example any recent SoundBlaster with the Creative ALchemy software included). Do this by opening the CD-ROM, going into the EAX folder, then double-click Setup.exe - this works fine on 64bit I find.

6. If you do use Creative ALchemy, set up a path in it to the game's install folder, so that the EAX can be enabled in-game.

7. Next it's time for the official 1.1_120 patch to be applied. You can get this from the Patches Scrolls site. Download it and double-click to install it. You should note that all the patch updates are supplied successfully.

8. Go into the c:\games\tocard1 folder and double-click HardwareSetup.exe to set up the hardware. Note: with the patch applied, the maximum refresh rate available under "Graphic -> Advanced Settings..." might not be the highest your monitor can take. So once you've applied the settings you with, click "Save and Exit", then open the pchardwareconfig.ini file and change the "FullScreenRefresh=" to the maximum refresh rate you wish to use (on my monitor it would only let me select 120hz in the settings, but I changed this to 144hz in the .ini file, which my monitor can take). Note: with regard to resolution, widescreen resolutions can be set, but the game will be stretched (fat looking images!), so best to run with a 4:3 resolution, as the game was made for that!

9. Finally, right-click and drag a shortcut to the RaceDriver.exe file, if you wish to have a shortcut to launch the game from somewhere else on your PC.

10. Insert the DISC 1 CD-ROM to play (the DISC 2 one can be left in the box). Note: the game may briefly open in a window then minimise to the taskbar. If it does, just click the icon in the taskbar and it'll pop-back up!

Note: I haven't tried network modes, as it used GameSpy, which is now dead!

Comments

• JaredKFanJaredKFan Member New Car Smell
    I tried to install the patch after manually copying the game files over to my hard drive using your manual copy method.  I put all the lines from your registry config file into the registry, but when I double-click to install the patch, the patcher says "Race Driver not installed".  Am I doing something wrong?  I have a 64 bit windows 7 OS and installing the game through the cd installer failed, obviously, because it's a 64 bit OS and the game installer does not recognize 64 bit operating systems.
  • VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Petrol Head
    As you found out, try removing the Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 line. It works on my PC with this, but you found it didn't in yours.
  • HanafiDriftHanafiDrift Member New Car Smell
    I'm having the same problem, too. I followed your steps but it seems like the 4th or 7th step were kinda failed. I removed the line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and it ended up making the registry file unable to be opened by the regedit, then the patch, hardwareconfig, and the game application says as if the program is not installed. I really really appreciate your help if you don't mind
    Maybe go into regedit, find any key, then export it. Then see what it has at the top of the .reg file (in Notepad) and copy what it says into your .reg file, instead of the 4 or 5.00 line
  • kristofswkristofsw Member New Car Smell
    Hi, I got up to the point where I wanted to launch RaceDriver.exe, but it keeps saying that my disc is wrong. I think it the registry file may be the problem but i cant seem to figure it out. Could it be the version of the game that may cause this problem? I have the Directors Cut.
    It could be that, I guess, I don't have that version :-S
  • TelepathicCowTelepathicCow Member New Car Smell
    Hey.

Trying to install TOCA 1 but I'm very confused at step 4. I get the message: cannot import ToCARD1.reg the file is not a registry script. You can only import binary files from within the registry editor. Thanks in advance.
    What OS are you running? I've not tried this on Win10, it might need a different line at the top of  the registry file, or no line at all (the "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" bit)
  • JosueOrtiz989JosueOrtiz989 Member New Car Smell
    edited January 2017
    Here's the deal:
    I'm still trying to get the game ("Pro Race Driver" [US-NTSC 3-disc version]) to run on my current gaming rig (iBuyPower WA550G) on Windows 10 to no avail. Tried everything (even editing them registry entries), but nothing seems to work so far. I'm wondering if playing a bit with the installer's compatibility settings would make any difference or if the disc's DRM/Copyrght protection is playing games with my machine. (I've got some bad references on that "Starforce" thingy; Not sure about "Securom" though.)

Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated..........

If you can get the game installed, then you should just seek out a "fixed" exe from somewhere like GameCopyWorld. Good luck!
  • JosueOrtiz989JosueOrtiz989 Member New Car Smell
    edited January 2017
    This has just hit me right now:
    I'm noticing that there's a "Default" value for the newly created registry entry for the game which happens to be undisclosed. I'm wondering if that's what is causing the error window to pop up after clicking on the shortcut?

BTW, here's the newly edited registry entry for the game (This uses the GCW v1.1.12 No-CD crack; Includes the aforemantioned parameter.)

"DEFAULT"="Value Not Set"
    "LANGUAGE"="eng"
    "SKU"="usa"
    "PATH_MAIN"="C:\\Program Files\\Codemasters\\Race Driver\\
    "PATH_APPLICATION"="C:\\Program Files\\Codemasters\\Race Driver\\RaceDriver.exe"
    "PATH_EXE"="C:\\"
    "NAME_APPLICATION"="Pro Race Driver"
    "NAME_EXE"="RaceDriver.exe"
    "TITLEBAR"="Pro Race Driver"
    "NO_EXE"="Please run the game using RaceDriver.exe"
    "NO_EXE"="Please run the game using RaceDriver.exe"
    "WRONG_EXE"="Please run the game using RaceDriver.exe."

.....and the regular one to play it from the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM burner........(US-NTSC, 64-bit Windows)

"LANGUAGE"="eng"
    "SKU"="usa"
    "PATH_MAIN"="C:\\Program FIles (X86)\\Codemasters"
    "PATH_APPLICATION"="C:\\Program Files (X86)\\Codemasters\\Race Driver"
    "PATH_CD"="D:\\"
    "NAME_APPLICATION"="Pro Race Driver"
    "NAME_CD"="Pro Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1)"
    "TITLEBAR"="Pro Race Driver"
    "NO_DRIVE"="Please insert the disc labelled Pro Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1) into your CD drive."
    "NO_DISC"="Please insert the disc labelled Pro Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1) into your CD drive."
    "WRONG_DISC"="Please insert the disc labelled Pro Race Driver Game Disc (Disc 1) into your CD drive."

Post edited by JosueOrtiz989 on
  • MrYiuliMrYiuli Member New Car Smell
    I have a problem. My game is installed by when a start the autorun.exe, my game is ready but when a want to start the game, nothing happend. Can you help me ?
    I'm not sure, try playing with the graphic settings perhaps.
  • MrYiuliMrYiuli Member New Car Smell
    i tried but the result is same. When i start the game, it say "insert the disc 1" but my disc is in my pc !
    Check the Registry lines; the ones I put above may need tweaking if the game isn't in the same C: location, or if your CD/DVD/BluRay drive isn't E:
  • MotorisedCatMotorisedCat Member New Car Smell
    Thanks for posting this, I've tried it, but when I try to start the game the cursor changes to a picture of a CD, but then nothing happens. Ah well.
  • Yogavolito33Yogavolito33 Member New Car Smell
    You can find it in the downloads section. 

In the first place, this version includes some important changes to improve the accuracy, sadly it could breaks games, if you find that a broken game on this version please report to [email protected] 

The changes are: 
    - Multi-language support. Added French and Russian languages (Thanks to Benjamin Sisko and paul_met). Other languages could be added in a future version. 
    - Fixed a delay slot bug in the interpreter cpu mode. It should run again some games broken on interpreter cpu mode on the v2.0. Fixed loading savestates from the UI in interpreter mode.
    - Improved CDROM timing accuracy,bugs and change disc problems. Improved the timing when seeking and reading cdrom sectors, fixed Tales of Destiny 2 changedisc and fixed Twins Story and Harukanaru Toki no Naka de - Banjou Yuugi. 
    - Improved the GPU timing (when using the ePSXe GPUCORE). It fixes or improve some games as: Namco Vol 4, Soul Blade, Tunguska, Derby Stallion, Derby Stallion 99, NBA Live 99, Sangokushi Eiketsuden, Dukes of Hazzard, Alice in Cyberland, Vampire Hunter D, Macross Digital Mission VF-X, Monaco Grand Prix Racing, Power Dolls 2, Spots Goes To Hollywood ... 
    - Improved the GPUCORE. Fixed a bug while transfering data, improved screen centering (Star Ocean 2, Jumping Flash 2, Hogs of War...), fixed some gargabe on the borders when changing the resolution, fixed a scrolling problem, fixed a screen ratio problem when changing from windowing to fullscreen on the fly, added vsync support, and added support to select the blitter as OpenGL2 or OpenGL1 (it should be compatible with some old videocards, but shader support is not supported in OpenGL1 mode). 
    - Improved the openGL2 plugin. Fixes Xmen Mutant Academy 1 & 2, Nascar Thunder 2002/2003/2004, Pro Pinball - Big Race Usa, Pro Pinball - TimeShock, Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey and Worms Pinball (use framebuffer effects=0 in the pinball games). 
    - Changes in the SPUCORE. Implemented the SPU mute flag, it fixes some sound glitches during the pause in the game: Car & Driver Presents - Grand Tour Racing 98. 
    - Changes in the INPUTCORE. Now it has native supports for XInput devices, select Xinput when configurating the gamepad in the config dialog if you want use the XInput API. (mapping buttons is not required). 
    - Fixed the external input plugins support when stopping and pressing continue. 
    - Fixed the changedisc option when using external GPU plugins. 
    - Added support to overclock the PSX CPU. You can select x1, x1.5, x2.0, x3.0 and x4.0. Be careful it could break compatibility. 
    (Logo updated thanks to Robert Typek)