Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

New to F1 2011

Hi Everyone,

I have quite a few questions and I'm sure they will seem laughably basic.   I should point out I'm no gamer, just a middle aged guy who's loved F1 for over 30 years, has done a bit of karting and wanted to take a crack at sim racing.  Please keep this in mind as you're rolling your eyes at my ridiculously simple inquiries.  I'm running F1 2011 on a PS3 with a G27 wheel mounted on a Playseat Challenge chair.  

I've only been at this for a couple of weeks and have only spent time in the Proving Grounds using Time Attack mode but only at Albert Park.  So far I'm having a blast!  Hit the bronze, silver and gold medals for this circuit and now chipping away at personal bests.  To me this seems the best way to learn the circuits before embarking on a career.  This game is outstanding but I'm slightly frustrated by the lack of info within the game, the game documentation and even online.

Questionable Question #1 - How do I save my progress in Time Attack mode?  I can pause on track then make changes to controls and assists but I don't see anywhere on that menu to save.  I've pulled into pit lane and Pit Assist (I guess) takes over then I can do nothing except fly past all the garages and back out.  How do I get back into my garage?

Questionable Question #2 - I assume that after saving I'll be able to exit the game and be able to pick up where I left off?  In other words, pop out the disc, play another game, pop F1 2011 back in and carry on seamlessly?  This is a prime example of my non-gamer-osity.

Questionable Question #3 - I see lots of people sharing their setups on line.  Where/how are these changes made?

Questionable Question #4 - When going through first time setup I started a career.  After just one practice session I quickly realized this was not where I needed to be.  During this process I could not hear any voice audio.  I have voice turned almost all the way up, music almost all the way down and engineer verbosity set to 'All'.  I could not hear the broadcaster who 'interviewed' me nor any comments from my engineer during practice.  Should have heard audio commentary here and if so is there a PS3 or game setting I need to change?  I've since moved to the Proving Grounds but no comments there either.  Should I have engineer feedback in Proving Grounds?  If not is there any 'testing' environment where you can get feedback?  I think it would be quite helpful when learning circuits if you were getting hints on braking points, gear selection, throttle application, KERS, DRS, etc.

Questionable Question #5 - Driving Aids, should they all be turned off once you are familiar with a circuit?  Can you use them in Carreer Mode as that seems like it would give quite an advantage over your competitors?  I'm still using Full traction control and the dynamic racing line but I think I can do without the line now.  

I have many more questions but I think I'll leave it at that for now.  Please begin picking yourselves up off the floor from laughing so hard!  Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

Best Answers

Answers

• GregRoeGregRoe Member New Car Smell

Thanks for the feedback folks.  What I can't figure out is how to get back to the garage to talk to my engineer/adjust setups when I'm in Time Attack.  How do I get back to my garage?

Thanks

• LozzyLozzy Member, Codemasters Champion
    You can drive in to the pit lane or pause and select return to garage.