Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Engine failures, more detailed tracks, heavier force feedback? Things that we "know" about F1 2017

vvvilivvvili Member, Drivers Pit Crew
I decided to open a topic about this because Tiametmarduk just released a video talking about handling in F1 2017. Most of it is pretty basic stuff but I wanted to point out a few things to open up the conversation.

1) More detailed tracks?
Ben (a.k.a. Tiametmarduk) mentions multiple times that the track surfaces are more detailed in F1 2017. Russia is smooth as it should be as a rather-new track but tracks like Spain and Brazil have more bumps on them. This has been a big issue in earlier F1 games because tracks didn't have a characteristic feel to them. Tracks were smooth whether it was a new track or a old track which hasn't got a new surface in years. It would be a welcoming detail in F1 2017.

2) More mechanical failures
Ben talks that you can switch down the gears a lot faster than in F1 2016 (10:20 in the video). I was worried at this point but then Ben mentions that "there are methods in which it discourages you of doing that and I can't talk about those yet". Only thing that comes to my mind is mechanical failures. If any of you have other possible options, please mention them. And before anyone comments, yes, mechanical failures were there in F1 2016. Did they make a huge impact? Not so much. 

3) Heavier force feedback
As the grip is higher and the cars are going more of the time full-throttle, this should be a thing and it seems like it is. Hard to go to detail but one of the things that I was missing in F1 2016 was that you couldn't always feel that you were losing the back-end which made driving more cautious. 

4) Slipstream has been reduced
Yep, that's pretty much it. Really welcoming change because slipstream certainly was (and is) OP in F1 2016. 

5) Assists vs. assists OFF have been mixed up
Codemasters themselves have mentioned that assists were too easy which generated a scenario where "decent" pad-players were too good compared to a player with a wheel. This has been redefined with making F1 2017. It will probably be a big topic in the beta later this year.

6) Tyre wear has more impact
You'll be struggling with oversteer more at the end of stints. I personally think this is a good change because as for my online league, fewer stops is most of the time the faster way. And that's mainly because the lap time doesn't change enough at the end of the stint. Hards are probably the best example because more often than not you could do your best lap time of the race in the last lap with 50-60% worn hard tyres. 

That's the things I noticed. Comment if you have other things that you noticed or some other beta(/alpha) tester releases his opinions about the handling.

Oh yeah and here's the video:

Comments

• haydn23haydn23 Member Co-Driver
    Ben talks that you can switch down the gears a lot faster than in F1 2016 (10:20 in the video). I was worried at this point but then Ben mentions that "there are methods in which it discourages you of doing that and I can't talk about those yet". Only thing that comes to my mind is mechanical failures.
    Could also be where you over-rev you lock the rears.

Codemasters themselves have mentioned that assists were too easy which generated a scenario where "decent" pad-players were too good compared to a player with a wheel. This has been redefined with making F1 2017. It will probably be a big topic in the beta later this year.

Also that's great, but I want to it fixed for wheel as well, because I have experience from both and imo it is equally op on each just easier on pad. As well as it is important that with assists off it's a bit easier to keep up with wheel, as ofc the obvious advantage is being smooth which is ofc 95% easier on wheel so maybe a little bit of pad assist like in 2013 or maybe even the 2012 level of assist, just keep the same underneath handling but just put a bit of pad assist on it and it'll be absolutely perfect imo, ONLY the SMALLEST bit tho, so it does take some skill to be smooth. But ofc it is more important that the assists difference is fixed!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • kraM1tkraM1t Member Unleaded
    edited March 11
    "Heavier FFB" is such a standard and stupid statement it hurts to read.

The current FFB is already clipping all consumer wheels when it's turned up to 100/100/100. We don't need 'Heavier' FFB, our wheels are already topping out and clipping the forces as it is, you cannot produce MORE torque than the wheel can deliver.

It sounds more like they've overblown the Gain/Force sent to the wheel and it's now clipping more across the range and isn't as linear with even less information due to the increased clipping.

Hopefully I'm wrong, I did hear Tiamet mention they're now using physics based FFB instead of canned, so maybe he's just bad at describing the new FFB detail.
  • BodykitflaresBodykitflares Member New Car Smell
    kraM1t said:

The current FFB is already clipping all consumer wheels when it's turned up to 100/100/100. We don't need 'Heavier' FFB, our wheels are already topping out and clipping the forces as it is, you cannot produce MORE torque than the wheel can deliver.

It sounds more like they've overblown the Gain/Force sent to the wheel and it's now clipping more across the range and isn't as linear with even less information due to the increased clipping.

Hopefully I'm wrong, I did hear Tiamet mention they're now using physics based FFB instead of canned, so maybe he's just bad at describing the new FFB detail.
    I disagree. Forza has much stronger FFB than F1 2016 specifically.
    XB1 Gamertag: Killerwhale48

Australia TT world record holder(as of 12/4/17)

Looking for an AOR split 1 practice partner
  • Naeemali007Naeemali007 Member Wheel Nut
    Great Great to hear finally proper heavy force feedback and bumps on the track... I am a happy camper 
  • vvvilivvvili Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    haydn23 said:
    Ben talks that you can switch down the gears a lot faster than in F1 2016 (10:20 in the video). I was worried at this point but then Ben mentions that "there are methods in which it discourages you of doing that and I can't talk about those yet". Only thing that comes to my mind is mechanical failures.
    Very good point! That would also be a great way of preventing too quick downshifts (if it's working properly).
  • kraM1tkraM1t Member Unleaded
    edited March 11
    kraM1t said:

I disagree. Forza has much stronger FFB than F1 2016 specifically.
    Forza has masses of Damper, that's not FFB torque/gain. Damper is seperate. 

You realize setting the wheel to 100% and then the game to 100%, once it reaches it's peak output of say a T300, around 4NM.

If you then turned the games FFB up to 200%, the FFB wouldn't be heavier, it would be less linear as it reaches it's max strength now twice as fast. You'd also feel no detail differences as the wheel is at it's max force it can generate quicker over the range it can produce.
  • R4pp3rR4pp3r Member Co-Driver
    haydn23 said:

Also that's great, but I want to it fixed for wheel as well, because I have experience from both and imo it is equally op on each just easier on pad. As well as it is important that with assists off it's a bit easier to keep up with wheel, as ofc the obvious advantage is being smooth which is ofc 95% easier on wheel so maybe a little bit of pad assist like in 2013 or maybe even the 2012 level of assist, just keep the same underneath handling but just put a bit of pad assist on it and it'll be absolutely perfect imo, ONLY the SMALLEST bit tho, so it does take some skill to be smooth. But ofc it is more important that the assists difference is fixed!
    Wheel spin from over rotation of rear wheels yes locking the rears from down shifting too much? Definitely not going to happen if anything you're more likely to lock up from not downshifting fast enough as there is less torque through the rear wheels (lower the gear number the higher the torque out of the gear box and into the wheel. More torque= harder to stop= wheel spin) just though I'd add that in haha.
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • Dboyking1Dboyking1 Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    kraM1t said:

I would beg to differ, ffb isn't that strong on 2016 compared to other games, so for the wheel (and pad I guess) community we need more ffb
    Its just banter...
  • Naeemali007Naeemali007 Member Wheel Nut
    Force Feedback is just average in F1 2016....  Feeling and Feedback of bumps ,track surface per specific circuit  feeling  is  missing ,  proper weight transfer feeling feedback via wheel  , force or feedback under braking is missing... 

So GOOD to Hear from Ben that Codemasters is addressing them...  PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THESE FEATURE FROM 2017 game. I am very much looking forward to it. 
  • vvvilivvvili Member, Drivers Pit Crew

Aarava talks a lot about the FFB. It really sounds good for me at least. 
  • thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Pit Crew
    kraM1t said:

When comparing my T150 with project cars and F1 2016, F1 2016 are just minor farts compared to project cars. Looking forward to the improved FFB.