Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

McLaren Honda debacle - how will it be handled by Codemasters

There is talk now that if Honda doesn't follow through with a good enough power unit that McLaren may move to adopt one from  Mercedes later on in the season and fire Honda. Codemasters need to plan for this contingency now so that if there is a switch in power units down the line that the game can accommodate this change. 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-sounds-out-mercedes-about-f1-engine-supply-883240/

If his unpleasant wounding, has in someway enlightened the rest of us, as to the grim finish beneath the glossy veneer of criminal life, and has inspired up all to change our ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory.
"Gone in 60 Seconds"

Comments

• haydn23haydn23 Co-Driver
    I agree, they should. Although all they will do is maybe livery change, and maybe the rear packaging will change slightly aswell as ofc the actual noise, and the engine. (I dunno why I said that it's the most obvious thing on earth but meh some might not know).
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • CW171CW171 New Car Smell
    IMO the engine noise, sponsors and of course engine attributes would be changed in game 
    It would be a nice surprise if the rear end would be changed but I doubt it. Also despite the rumours I really don't see the McHonda split happening, I think it's just to rattle Honda's cage a bit
  • The only game I saw with that level of detail was F1 World Championship: Beyond The Limit on Sega Mega-CD. In the championship mode, car upgrades would appear at the races they did in real life, and any driver changes were introduced as they happened in real life. Also you met the team bosses/engine people, etc.

It even had a one-off Ligier livery at Japan, as they ran in real life (okay so it was a low-res sprite, but it still applies!). Cars would break down in the same place as real life and there was a great Scenario mode where it showed real life video clips of an event, then you had to take over and complete whatever that driver managed in real life. You'd then be rewarded with success/failure video clips of real life (1993 season)!

Winning the game unlocked a video player! Shame that the game was an overly-easy Mario Kart style racer...
  • coolieboycoolieboy Race Steward
    There is talk now that if Honda doesn't follow through with a good enough power unit that McLaren may move to adopt one from  Mercedes later on in the season and fire Honda. Codemasters need to plan for this contingency now so that if there is a switch in power units down the line that the game can accommodate this change. 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-sounds-out-mercedes-about-f1-engine-supply-883240/

Nothing will happen in the game if McLaren switches engine suppliers during the season after the game releases.  CM didn't address the game when Hyryanto and Ocon switched.
  • Reub09Reub09 Pit Crew
    ^ That's because it would pretty much just change the name, therefore if the switch did occur (which I highly doubt will happen until next year atleast) then it would mean a whole different car and different attributes.
    | Former F1 TS Hub Driver | PSGL F4 League Red Bull TAG Heuer #15 | PS4 | Irish | Red Bull #3 #33 |

• Operator1Operator1 Team Principal

I seem to recall F1 2015 marketing game updates throughout the season to reflect the latest car performance data, but follow-through on that commitment fell short.

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality.

• The only game I saw with that level of detail was F1 World Championship: Beyond The Limit on Sega Mega-CD. In the championship mode, car upgrades would appear at the races they did in real life, and any driver changes were introduced as they happened in real life. Also you met the team bosses/engine people, etc.

It even had a one-off Ligier livery at Japan, as they ran in real life (okay so it was a low-res sprite, but it still applies!). Cars would break down in the same place as real life and there was a great Scenario mode where it showed real life video clips of an event, then you had to take over and complete whatever that driver managed in real life. You'd then be rewarded with success/failure video clips of real life (1993 season)!

Winning the game unlocked a video player! Shame that the game was an overly-easy Mario Kart style racer...

It was best opening in F1 games.

Japan version

• patronaspatronas New Car Smell
    The couldn't just switch in middle of season even if the wanted to not in less the all ready have merceds engine diagrams  and a complete new chassis  made up to fit the merc engine and cooling system just wouldn't be possible and merc  wouldn't give them any type of information  until the were fully split from Honda and signed a contract to stop them from passing any kind of information on to Honda