Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

tips needed for a newbie with a wheel for the first time

ok so i bought a wheel and want tho hear your opinion how i should do it to get better
i play career mode and i was wondering if the best way to get good on the wheel would be to start in the easyest difficulty and work my way up
also this will be the first time i want to get good at this game and use no assist and i have a question about that. should i start with all assist off or just take one assist off at a time?

Comments

• R4pp3rR4pp3r Member Race Steward
    edited April 19

Arivalg1 said:

ok so i bought a wheel and want tho hear your opinion how i should do it to get better
    i play career mode and i was wondering if the best way to get good on the wheel would be to start in the easyest difficulty and work my way up
    also this will be the first time i want to get good at this game and use no assist and i have a question about that. should i start with all assist off or just take one assist off at a time?

Every one is different so truth is theres no real right or wrong answer. Personally it's all about getting laps under your belt in accurate conditions theres no point doing practice laps in time trial where the car has 3 laps of fuel and perfect set up because when you get sown to turn 1 in career with a full tank of fuel (if you run 100% distance especially) then you're just gonna lock your brakes and eat gravel/another car/ wall. 

My recommendation is to jump in and just go for it turn all assists that you don't want to use off and use the base set up for each track i.e just drive out of the pits dont change it. Then drive maybe 5 or 6 laps check your lap times in comparison to a.i then quit and adjust the a.i to be around the same. Reason for this is you'll get faster and faster and you can use the a.i for comparison otherwise sometimes it's hard to see how far away from where you wanna be. Then as you get faster adjust the a.i but doing this allows you to get used to no assists without have to push to keep up then once your comfortable you should automatically get faster as you push harder and the circle goes round until you peak.

P.s be patient if it's your first time with a wheel. You're gonna lock up, you're gonna spin and you're gonna crash but be patient and just keep putting laps in practice sessions in career mode. The more laps the more comfortable you'll be and the faster you'll be.
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • AndiAndi Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    For me it is all about what your ultimate goal is in terms of what assists you want on/off.

e.g. If you want them to all be off then just start with them all off and tough it out.

You will be better off in the long run than getting used to some assists on and then turning them off and having to adjust to a different feeling. Don't worry about setting the AI low in the beginning as you improve it can easily be cranked up.

Could do time trial or something similar if you are worried about crashing into other cars until you feel reasonably comfortable. 
  • DarkMarkXDDarkMarkXD Member Wheel Nut
    The way I learnt was to leave assists for the moment and to try racing against the easiest difficulty and working my way up till I was comfortable with racing the hard AI. Then I would check the assists and tweak them to how I wanted, so turning off assists I made sure I did it step by step (manual gears first, then anti lock breaks off then traction control off).

Practice is the key :smile:
    PSN - DarkMark_XD | Still not an F1 game BETA tester after 2 attempts | Founder of the PS4 XD Gaming Leagues
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Petrol Head
    Since this is already here, what wheel stands do you guys use? As I really need one, but idk what one to get, and if a cheap one on ebay is gonna be solid enough to take some abuse
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • R4pp3rR4pp3r Member Race Steward

haydn23 said:

Since this is already here, what wheel stands do you guys use? As I really need one, but idk what one to get, and if a cheap one on ebay is gonna be solid enough to take some abuse

I have a gt extreme V2 apparently they're good but i mustve got the **** quality one i want a  playseat senstion pro but thats far from cheap xD
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • AcereesAcerees Member Unleaded
    Tough one.  I personally got used to the wheel first (say until the 2017 game comes out) and then turn off the assists when you get the new game.  You will feel uncomfortable once you turn off the assists and you will feel like that for a while.  Like others have said don't practice on TT just career or quick races (50% distance as a minimum).  I have a few questions 1. Do you drive any cars at the moment and 2. What wheel did you buy? (Has it got FFB?).
    Good luck and stick with it.
  • Arivalg1Arivalg1 Member New Car Smell

Acerees said:

Tough one.  I personally got used to the wheel first (say until the 2017 game comes out) and then turn off the assists when you get the new game.  You will feel uncomfortable once you turn off the assists and you will feel like that for a while.  Like others have said don't practice on TT just career or quick races (50% distance as a minimum).  I have a few questions 1. Do you drive any cars at the moment and 2. What wheel did you buy? (Has it got FFB?).

Don'tdrive any car right now. I got the logitech G29 and yes it has ffb
  • xFitchoxFitcho Member Unleaded
    Turn the wheel left to go left, turn it right to go right. Press the right pedal to go forward, the left (or middle) pedal to stop. Easy. Ohh, and those weird flaps on the back of the wheel, they change the gears. ;)
  • AcereesAcerees Member Unleaded

Arivalg1 said:

Acerees said:

Don'tdrive any car right now. I got the logitech G29 and yes it has ffb

As you don't drive yet it may take a little longer to pick up to a good standard.  The last thing you want to do is struggle so much that you don't enjoy playing so remember to keep it fun.
  • Arivalg1Arivalg1 Member New Car Smell
    If anyone is interested I am getting better and now I race against medium AI . Today I went from super easy to medium so im progressing nicely