Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

LMA Manager

Hey all,

First off I'd like to apologise if this thread is in the wrong section. I haven't used this forum before.

Secondly, I'd like to say.. PLEASE MAKE A NEW ONE!

Now on to the main topic of this thread - the last incarnation of this game, LMA Manager 2007. I've recently started up a new game again, mainly for nostalgia purposes, and I'd like to ask for some help, if anyone is still around on these forums who used to play the game.

When I used to play the game, I was much younger. I didn't really care about developing youth talent or anything like that. All I really cared about was the great players of the day and winning trophies. Now that I've returned to the game and I am a lot older, with a lot more gaming experience, I've been trying to find a way to develop youth talent. As you can imagine, there aren't that many decent threads about this kind of thing for LMA Manager; most threads simply are people asking about the various cheats, but I digress.

I'd like to ask any avid player of the game who is reading this to offer any insight they might have in to the development of young players. Is training the main way to develop them? If so, how? Do I need to focus on a lot of individual training with that player with the higher risk of injury? Is it simply a case of giving that player a lot of playing time throughout the season? Is the intensity of training a factor, or is the contribution to stat gain unrelated to training intensity?

Additionally, has anyone ever managed to change a players position on the game? Or add extra "specialties"? For example, Gareth Bale is a defender on LMA 2007, would it be possible to change his position by having him train specific attributes? Would I just need to have him play a certain position all season? Is there a way I could add a "specialty" to his profile, such as free kick taking, or the ability to be a good captain?

Hopefully there are still some players who still visit these forums! I see demand popping up for the game a lot, which is part of what made me want to get it out again in the first place.

I'd very much appreciate any help current/former players of the game could offer!

Comments

• colinc1992colinc1992 Member New Car Smell
    well what i do is if u loan them out for the first season they tend to gain about 1.5 bars in ther overall rating then u just stick them in your team next season with the mormal training it doesnt realy matter about the intencity of the training but it has always worked with me
  • colinc1992colinc1992 Member New Car Smell
    i also agree with you that they need to make a new lma i get bored off playin football manager and always come back to this every 1 i speak to seems to agree that they gave up on the game to soon and no longer made them i recon it will b a big hit on all platforms
  • mrflammablemrflammable Member New Car Smell
    They need to bring another one but they care more about racing, i seen somewhere that they have reformed to Codemasters Racing now so only focus on racing games, utter **** tbh, i do like F1 and grid but LMA Manager is a game they should never have stopped.
    And alike i get bored of fm easy, since ive got 14 ive played it roughly about 6 times, imo they dont have to bring a new LMA out just an update to 2007 even if its just data update and some changes like unlimited amount you can offer to buy a player currently its double his value. more realistic scouting, id be happy with that.

Also about getting young players in, keep an eye on some promising players in your youth then next season promote them and loan them out, im not sure about the bars as i don't play with overal bars to easy and childish tbh lol but you might not get the result you wanted with the players you promote they might flop like real life.

One thing that has bugged me is it unlimited seasons like FM or is it maxed at 20 seasons ?
  • Number44Number44 Member Unleaded
    I loved LMA Manager, would love to see a new one.

Vintage Hamilton

• mozila80mozila80 Member New Car Smell
    cant wait the new lma manager  :'(

LMA Manager Addict  :D

• RobMUFC1987RobMUFC1987 Member Wheel Nut
    OP, Codemasters have deleted the old forums. The LMA section was thriving between 2001 and 2008. I want them to bring LMA back, its my favourite sports series. I'd be happy if they re-released 2007 with an HD and Player update on PS3/4 360/X1
  • LMADemanderLMADemander Member New Car Smell
    To anyone else who wants to know, it's confirmed that there is a limit of only 20 seasons before the game automatically forces you to retire.  Like the OP I played LMA 2007 many years ago (well, seven) and a friend and I pick it up every now and again when we're having a few cans at home.  I recently started playing it again for nostalgia's sake, and was really annoyed about being forced to retire.

To answer the OPs question, I agree with Colinc1992.  Loan them out, no special training needed and after a season or two of being on loan (that's if anyone actually offers to accept them) slipping them in the team as often as possible for experience.  Had a youthie increase 4+ bars over four seasons doing that.  This was with a youthie from a top flight team though, I never did develop youthie's in lower leagues (needed all the wage budget I could get).  And there is no way to add skills or add a new position to their starting abilities.

I also agree with what others have posted here - if we really can't have a new LMA then an update to 2007 would be gratefully accepted.  NO FORCED RETIREMENT would be a nice update.  Or even an extension to 50 years or something.  I want to keep playing it but after doing 20 seasons, to go back to the beginning isn't appealing.  So I won't be playing the game again any time soon.

Other ideas for updates - realistic crowd increase as we get lower teams promoted, increased wage budget if we've managed to swell the bank balance significantly, wider selection of available jobs at the end of the season (after a few seasons of winning top flight trophies and Europe, I wanted to go back to the Conference but didn't want to join a new team half way through a season when their manager got sacked), and as said above perhaps a bit more to scouting.  Nothing major, nothing huge, but would make a real difference.  I wouldn't even expect it to be a free update, as moderate as the changes would be it would still take a bit of work, so would happily pay for the DLC.

Perhaps there's just not enough of us who want a new LMA.  Even though there seems to be so many posting on forums all across the interweb about it, and being very vocal about it too, perhaps there's just not enough that would make Codemasters think a new title would earn them some money.  Ah well, we can hope at least...
  • fozler1971fozler1971 Member New Car Smell
    Best football manager game ever. Even in these times of major computer generation, like football manager 2015 pc that's making all the news,  it is still simply the best. I still cant find anything better than lma manager whether its 2004 ,2005, 2006 or 2007, Bring it back please. Foz
  • Robbro12Robbro12 Member New Car Smell
    I would love a feature to be added where you can promote and demote players into the youth team. I also think it would be good if you could scout the other clubs youth talent. 
  • womblecorewomblecore Member New Car Smell
    why have they stopped letting ppl get the codes for these games it sucks i have started playing lma 07 again as it best football sim out there by miles and i want some codes but can't get them anywhere please let me have a way to get them 
  • djjmufcdjjmufc Member New Car Smell
    Its crazy that codemasters haven't even contemplated making a new LMA. I can't believe its been 9 years since the last one was released
  • Simona7PayneSimona7Payne Member New Car Smell
    Agreed! The best game ever. I personally loved LMA 2005. I loved taking Chester City to the highest limits of the greatest Stadium and back to back years of Champions League and Premier League title each season. I too have been following up as much as I can. I wrote an email to CodeMasters and they replied promptly to my plea to bring the game back. They said they haven't written it off but weren't focused on doing anything at this present time. They were focused on the racing games rather than LMA. If they made a LMA 2016 I have no doubt it would be a massive hit,
  • AntcommanderAntcommander Member New Car Smell
    Bring Lma back and club football. 
    Just brush up the code and give it decent res and frame rate and sell it for £15 or £20.

It would be money for old rope for codemasters,  but many of us are begging for old rope when it comes to footy games, rather than the same old same old, new rope of pes and fifa which are fine, but so predictable and boring.

Come on codies,  do something! 
  • DPS1984DPS1984 Member New Car Smell
    edited January 2016
    Firstly, amazing game. I still keep going back to this game even after several years. Sure it has its faults but, for me, they are part of what makes it so great. Would we appreciate it so much if it was still churned out every year? Its absence makes us love it all the more.

To answer OP, No you cannot change a player's position regardless of where they are played nor can you assign them abilities like captain, penalty taker etc. However you can improve a player's individual skills which would make them more capable of playing in a different position. You used Gareth Bale as an example so let's stick with that. G.Bale is a centre-back so his highest skills are in tackling, marking, heading.....things you would expect from a defender. If, however, he was played in a more advanced position with a focus on passing and technique he would most certainly improve as a midfield option, if played as a forward his shooting would benefit and he would again become more skilled in that position. Assigning an attacking task can help a lot too. To illustrate this point, use a defender to take free kicks or penalties and watch his shooting bar grow over time (expect plenty of misses until he improves). The same occurs when a defender is used to take corners except it is passing and technique which are affected. The downside to trying to mould a defender to play as forward would be that his skills are disparatively biased towards becoming a good defender not a forward so his original shooting stat would be quite low - there are exceptions as some players are fantastic all-rounders and could play anywhere but in goal. So after years of training, you might have a defender with poor to moderate attacking skills who is, quite frankly, going to be less effective up front than a lower league forward would be after the same period. I would say you could definitely play a defender as a midfielder or a midfielder as a forward with good results and that would work for both vice-versa. A good example is using Messi as a forward or Hargreaves as a defender. Admittedly these players have overlapping positions respectively but it would still work regardless. Have you ever played a centre-back in midfield due to injury/dismissal and been shocked to see how well he passes? I have plenty of times. Your players are adaptable. You are the manager so play any player where you want and assign them whichever tasks you see fit - it is your risk. When results don't arrive it is your head which rolls.

Regarding youth players, those with the higher stats to begin with are going to develop to a higher standard. It is survival of the fittest. Promote promising players and cut loose those who won't ever make your team. Don't feel bad, these lads will be playing in lower leagues after being snapped up on free transfers. If they are any good they will rise up the divisions. Look at Jamie Vardy. Factor in age too. E.g you have two players of the same skill but one is 16, the other 18. Chances are, assuming injuries don't ravage his career, the 16 year old will become a higher rated player as he has more time on his side before progress halts and skills slowly decline as the player reaches his 30s. Higher rated doesn't always mean better though. Some players cost a fortune and are very poor performers. There is no special way to improve youth players either, play them in the cups or use them as backup for first team members or loan them out (but only to teams who you are certain will play them, otherwise you may as well keep them in your squad), do what is best for your team and also what you feel will give the youth player the most minutes. To be fair, I have had players develop greatly by just being in my squad, players who played no minutes all season but were training effectively. The real benefit of giving them minutes - be that at your club or on loan - is that you can measure there performances based on goals scored, match ratings and disciplinary records. A skilled youth player might not be worth it if he picks up a ban every month or a striker you thought was mediocre could turn out to have a knack for finding the goal with regularity. Top flights teams obviously produce better youth players but they still cannot immediately compete with the big boys in your squad. Lower league teams have youth players who are already as skilled as some first team members which is fantastic for generating much needed income and also makes you feel great. You can sell older players and promote free replacements who are equally skilled. You increase revenue and give youth a chance. I've taken Morecambe up to the Championship from the conference in only 4 seasons (took two goes to escape League Two lol) and had the same youth striker through each season still hitting the back of the net in the Championship against recently relegated Prem teams. Needless to say he got offers from bigger teams so I allowed him to join Celtic and play Champs League football. He was only 20/21. I gave him that chance and it felt great. After his departure I struggled to make any more progress as funds were tight and the board kept making cuts resulting in the need for more sales so I was stuck as a mid-table Championship team for 3 years - no shame for a little coastal town from the Conference. At the end of the year my skill was recognised and I was offered the post at Anfield. Being a United fan every impulse said to turn it down but I realised it was too good an opportunity. With a big transfer fund and an already talented squad, I delivered that elusive 19th title at the second time of asking (in my time at Morecambe I had seen Benitez, Wenger and McLaren fail in the Anfield hotseat - yes there is a high turnover of managers in this game like real life!) and brought an aging Michael Owen back for his twilight years - he scored in the game which sealed the title at around age 34, I'm a big romantic like that (first season I won FA Cup). Unfortunately Stevie G didn't lift the trophy as he had jumped ship to Chelsea years before my arrival and had already won the Prem there. I couldn't buy him back when I tried as Chelsea were short of midfielders. My captain was a lad from the youth team, S.Byron, who I think was valued around £2m when I first arrived and by the end of my second season he was worth £7.2m - left back and central defender, captain and free-kick abilities, 19 - a perfect future England captain if ever there was such a thing. I could talk about this game and LMA 2003 forever. Absolute classics.
    Post edited by DPS1984 on
  • LiverpoolLMALiverpoolLMA Member New Car Smell
    LMA  is such an amazing game they need bring out a new one 
  • BrutalBarracudaBrutalBarracuda Member New Car Smell
    One more vote for a new LMA here! Still play 2007 today!
  • PaulBeckPaulBeck Member New Car Smell
    Can anyone tell me how to get the bonus codes for LMA 2007 Unique ID 22022
  • DazTheDonDazTheDon Member New Car Smell
    I'm trying to get the codes too so if you find someone who can generate them let me know pls
  • DazTheDonDazTheDon Member New Car Smell
    I need help with codes too if someone can generate them pls pass them on to me 
  • Lee1890Lee1890 Member New Car Smell
    Can people still get the cheat codes for lma manager 2007 thanks