Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Why crashes do not look real

As a pro developer I think it is a matter of priority. What do you want most? Beautiful crashes or a Safety car?

Comments

• As explained many times in other threads, and by the developer themselves: license restrictions.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • peyt0n89peyt0n89 Unleaded

As explained many times in other threads, and by the developer themselves: license restrictions.

What does licensing have to do with how a car breaks after a crash? Please explain to me.
    I smell like a new car.
  • pijinpijin Pit Crew
    Please read through and make sure you aren't re-posting about an existing discussion with basically the same title that's been both answered and closed. There is a massive thread (now closed) just like 5 threads below with so much discussion and explanation as to why. I know it's too much to ask to read the whole forums before posting, but at least read the first page to see if your topic has been discussed recently.

Read this, and then ask questions, and we'll gladly answer them
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/52030/why-cant-crashes-look-real

• peyt0n89 said:

As explained many times in other threads, and by the developer themselves: license restrictions.

What does licensing have to do with how a car breaks after a crash? Please explain to me.

Sponsors don't like the image of the car they sponsor being crumpled and destroyed. Even though it seems stupid, they think it is bad for their brand(or FOM thinks it is). This is just how it is with an official f1 game
    XB1 Gamertag: Killerwhale48

Australia TT world record holder(as of 12/4/17)

Looking for an AOR split 1 practice partner
  • peyt0n89peyt0n89 Unleaded

peyt0n89 said:

Sponsors don't like the image of the car they sponsor being crumpled and destroyed. Even though it seems stupid, they think it is bad for their brand(or FOM thinks it is). This is just how it is with an official f1 game

Sidepods still get scraped in the game, which blurs the sponsor logos on the sidepods. Why is that OK?
    I smell like a new car.
  • jammie360jammie360 Wheel Nut

peyt0n89 said:

Liscence restricts what parts can be broken off the car due to the sponsers on the car
  • jammie360jammie360 Wheel Nut

peyt0n89 said:

peyt0n89 said:

Sidepods still get scraped in the game, which blurs the sponsor logos on the sidepods. Why is that OK?

Yeah that probrably cost a bomb, the sponsor is still and readable plus not ALL cars have a sponsor on the side  pod
  • xdannilxdannil New Car Smell

pijin said:

Please read through and make sure you aren't re-posting about an existing discussion with basically the same title that's been both answered and closed. There is a massive thread (now closed) just like 5 threads below with so much discussion and explanation as to why...

That thread was closed due to off topic entries. But there were relevant discussion left to add. I found that no conclusions could be drawn.
    edited May 16
    Unless a Codemaster developer says "License agreement says that crasches must look ugly..." I won't believe it.
    I do believe that there are some license restrictions in the matter, but I think that if it were really really important to model crasches nicely, it could be done without breaking the agreements. Thing is that it is really advanced physics that requires very much dev time, and the chosen graphics engine may even not support it better. Maybe it was just perfect for everything else, but only met the basic requirements regarding crasches.
  • ChromaticChromatic Wheel Nut

xdannil said:

Unless a Codemaster developer says "License agreement says that crasches must look ugly..." I won't believe it.
    I do believe that there are some license restrictions in the matter, but I think that if it were really really important to model crasches nicely, it could be done without breaking the agreements. Thing is that it is really advanced physics that requires very much dev time, and the chosen graphics engine may even not support it better. Maybe it was just perfect for everything else, but only met the basic requirements regarding crasches.

If codemasters don't want to implement realistic damage without fear of losing the license or because of restrictions on that licence you just have to start believing it. I doubt they even have enough people on hand to re code there engine from scratch while making games to accommodate a realistic damage model.  

How many different racing lines will you take 

Originally Withyman on the old forum's 

My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TBCFormulae 

Manor may be gone but the history they made lives on

• peyt0n89 said:

peyt0n89 said:

Cause that is merely a scrape, but cars getting absolutely **** totaled would cause some skepticism.
    XB1 Gamertag: Killerwhale48

Australia TT world record holder(as of 12/4/17)

Looking for an AOR split 1 practice partner
    Let's compare with MS Flight Simulator. Ok, I don't know how craches look in the latest versions because I haven't played it, but otherwise crasches have always looked really ugly. And it is for the same reason. You play it to fly, not to crasch. I've played Silent Hunter. When you go too deep there's a black screen and a dialog telling you that your uboat has imploded. Why would you use 1000 hours on a fantastic and realistic implosion when the game just ended anyway. There will always be something more important to use up the time.

Finally, just let me be clear: I think that F1 2016 is just a masterpiece among games! It took me a lot of time to realize that it was not perfect, and I'm really happy they did not waste a lot of time modeling perfect crashes.
  • R4pp3rR4pp3r Race Steward

xdannil said:

Let's compare with MS Flight Simulator. Ok, I don't know how craches look in the latest versions because I haven't played it, but otherwise crasches have always looked really ugly. And it is for the same reason. You play it to fly, not to crasch. I've played Silent Hunter. When you go too deep there's a black screen and a dialog telling you that your uboat has imploded. Why would you use 1000 hours on a fantastic and realistic implosion when the game just ended anyway. There will always be something more important to use up the time.

Finally, just let me be clear: I think that F1 2016 is just a masterpiece among games! It took me a lot of time to realize that it was not perfect, and I'm really happy they did not waste a lot of time modeling perfect crashes.

Dude you're comparing a multi billion dollar company in microsoft with a tiny company in codemasters xD microsoft can psy for the licenses and has a massive team they can do what ever codies are limited by budget, FIA, FOM and team size. Yes realistic damage would be awesome but it is really that big of a deal breaker? I mean the cars do break on 9/10 impacts just not like the real cars would 
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
    Yes I do. But not even the multi million company in this case implemented good looking crasches.
  • Sigma12390Sigma12390 New Car Smell
    It's not really that big of an issue. You aren't going to buy the game just to crash into people (And if you are, then don't bother.) so what does it matter if the crashes don't look 100% accurate? The game is not about crashing, it's about racing.
  • pijinpijin Pit Crew
    Thank you. Finally some sensible perspectives on crash realism. All the people asking for crashes because they want "more realism" are expecting the wrong features from the wrong game. This is a racing game, not a crashing game. Minor damage like wings are modeled fine, so quit complaining.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Race Engineer

pijin said:

Thank you. Finally some sensible perspectives on crash realism. All the people asking for crashes because they want "more realism" are expecting the wrong features from the wrong game. This is a racing game, not a crashing game. Minor damage like wings are modeled fine, so quit complaining.

No. This is a Formula 1 game, not just a racing game. Pits stops, strategy, split second calls under SC/VSC, Big Data Analysis are almost as important as the actual racing on track. So they have added all these factors in the pursuit of realism. 
    People asking for crashes that better reflect what would happen in reality aren't just automatically incorrect because Advertisers/FOM/Codies may or may not want to see stickers on the cars getting damaged.
    It isn't always about having photo realistic Carbon shards exploding everywhere. There are crashes on the games that have gone too far the other way. So many video's of cars seemingly flying a few hundred feet in the air with their sponsorship perfectly viewable. Can't they just look at the whole range of damage and accidents we see now and make some improvements to all area's without anyone who makes that suggestion being talked down to?
  • pijinpijin Pit Crew
    Apparently you are still seeing this as a personal offense from the last post. I can completely agree that the sort of ridiculous spinning and flying needs to stop. You are right about that. The barriers need to actually absorb like 70% of the energy so it doesn't go spinning like crazy. Fundamentally, perfectly realistic crashes are infeasible, and won't happen, Bu yes, I agree there is a middle ground where the cars don't do the ridiculous acrobatics they do now. I still don't see it as a mission critical issue, since unless your Bernie Ecclestone, F1 is about racing, not crashing (since he likes it for the entertainment perspective)

there see, we can (sort of) agree on things.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Race Engineer

pijin said:

Apparently you are still seeing this as a personal offense from the last post. I can completely agree that the sort of ridiculous spinning and flying needs to stop. You are right about that. The barriers need to actually absorb like 70% of the energy so it doesn't go spinning like crazy. Fundamentally, perfectly realistic crashes are infeasible, and won't happen, Bu yes, I agree there is a middle ground where the cars don't do the ridiculous acrobatics they do now. I still don't see it as a mission critical issue, since unless your Bernie Ecclestone, F1 is about racing, not crashing (since he likes it for the entertainment perspective)

there see, we can (sort of) agree on things.

Don't see it as personal at all, people don't have to agree on everything. I want them to know my disappointment in this series, you want to show them support in their decisions (some). At the end of the day we both want a good F1 game. They need that input from both sides.

• pijinpijin Pit Crew
    Fair enough. I just get annoyed when sometimes people get so salty that it's just not helpful. I don't mind a bit of sarcasm, so long as fundamentally we're all trying our best to be as constructive as possible so Codemasters can try to do at least half of what we suggest.