Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Possibility of incorporating F2 into future F1 games?

As liberty/FIA have set up F2, what are the chances of bringing this category into future F1 games? Similar method to MotoGP.

Would be great to race with Leclerc etc while being sponsored by merc/ferrari/red bull etc

Comments

• xFitchoxFitcho Member Unleaded
    If you are on PC you could just use my GP2 mod ;)
  • AndiAndi Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    You do release F2 is just GP2 re-branded right? With Liberty Media now it is certainly a much better chance.
  • jammie360jammie360 Member Wheel Nut
    I dont really see the point personally, awaste of time money and resources for codies At the moment
  • peyt0n89peyt0n89 Member Wheel Nut
    If we want to have ambitious F1 games that feature other categories, we need to drop two things: Annual releases, and Codemasters as developers. Codemasters have their own frachises that they put more time on, while F1 has always been a side-project for them. We need the F1 license to go to a developer who could focus all their time and effort on it, and taking their time as well. We could get an F1 game with multiple seasons if the development time was more than 10 months.
    I smell like a new car.
  • R4pp3rR4pp3r Member Race Steward

jammie360 said:

I dont really see the point personally, awaste of time money and resources for codies At the moment

Have to agree F2 is hardly even broadcast sadly most people dont know any of the drivers names heck i follow f1 closely and couldnt tell you who is the current f2 champion nor whos leading right noe, would be a nice lead into f1 but would require a whole nother license and more resources which codies is struggling with already
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • 1512marcel1512marcel Member, Drivers Race Engineer
    Same pointless discussion like the one we had the moment Alonso announced he would do Indy Cars. This will not happen in a dedicated F1 game.

If you use ABS or Traction Control, you are no longer a racing driver.

1512Marcel

And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.

Aryton Senna

Same pointless discussion like the one we had the moment Alonso announced he would do Indy Cars. This will not happen in a dedicated F1 game.

Eh wouldnt call it pointless moto gp game is called moto gp and it still has moto 2 and 3 in it so point is invalid in this context however as you said its just not gonna happen
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Steward

peyt0n89 said:

If we want to have ambitious F1 games that feature other categories, we need to drop two things: Annual releases, and Codemasters as developers. Codemasters have their own frachises that they put more time on, while F1 has always been a side-project for them. We need the F1 license to go to a developer who could focus all their time and effort on it, and taking their time as well. We could get an F1 game with multiple seasons if the development time was more than 10 months.

Yes, who wouldn't want to have to wait for 3-4 years to drive the cars they see racing on TV? I'm sorry, but with seasonal sports the only way is to do a brand new game every year. The only alternative would be to release new seasons as DLCs but this would massively reduce the gains for the developers (so they'd never do that). Plus, the last F1 game that wasn't released again every season was F1 Challenge 99-02 I think. Sony released annual titles

R4pp3r said:

Eh wouldnt call it pointless moto gp game is called moto gp and it still has moto 2 and 3 in it so point is invalid in this context however as you said its just not gonna happen

Moto3 and Moto2 races are broadcasted on TV every weekend right before the MotoGP race, F2 isn't. Also, Moto3 and Moto2 wins or titles are counted in the palmares alongside MotoGP ones, whereas F2 wins and titles aren't 
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve

R4pp3r said:

Moto3 and Moto2 races are broadcasted on TV every weekend right before the MotoGP race, F2 isn't. Also, Moto3 and Moto2 wins or titles are counted in the palmares alongside MotoGP ones, whereas F2 wins and titles aren't 

This is true but moto3 and 2 are still feeding classes to moto gp as is F2 to f1 so its not completely pointless its a proper feed class to f1 whether its broadcast or not surprised its not broad cast more tbh would deffs watch more open wheeler action. but I do get your point and I mentioned its lack of broadcast before.
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Petrol Head
    Would love to see it maybe have all the separate formula's but realistically only if codies can get a separate team together to do this, and make a different game, aswell only way I can see it possible. If not I would rly like it if FOM gave some other devs like slightly mad studios (lol dunno if u can trust them) to do it. But they seem to be so far rectifying themselves, but maybe it's just like the hype up we had for pcars 1
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • xFitchoxFitcho Member Unleaded
    I've seen way too many people say F2 isn't broadcasted on TV. Try turning the TV on then. Every race is on TV, the Feature race is on about 1 hour after Qualifying on Saturday and the Sprint race is on about 2 hours before the GP on Sunday. I can watch all GP3, F2 & F1 races on the same TV channel. 

xFitcho said:

I've seen way too many people say F2 isn't broadcasted on TV. Try turning the TV on then. Every race is on TV, the Feature race is on about 1 hour after Qualifying on Saturday and the Sprint race is on about 2 hours before the GP on Sunday. I can watch all GP3, F2 & F1 races on the same TV channel. 

Lol i have foxtel and ive only seen 1 F2 (it was Gp2 at that time) during the last 2 years even on the foxtel planner its not broadcasted as much as it should be, its probably on BBC somewhere but its hardly even on foxtels fox sports channels yet every moto gp event including moto 2 and 3 and even nascar series is broadcast

https://mobile.twitter.com/jennyanne_m/status/864761507015471104

It could be just a coincidence. But is it really? 
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • floriswijers16floriswijers16 Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    Just also saw that. Its a bit weird that its on the Same Day. So I think we may have F2 in f1 2017 Which obviously would be very Nice!!
    Could just bw theyre announcing f1 and f2 are gonne help announce it, dont mean to be so closed on it but not gonna get my hopes up will love it if its in though :D
  • Jthorn97Jthorn97 Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    edited May 17
    I don't understand why people don't want F2 in the game. Would add so much to the career mode were you can start your career in F2 and then work your way up to F1. The career mode now is so boring after a few races because it's pretty much just like quick races with no progression at all. 

Jthorn97 said:

I don't understand why people don't want F2 in the game. Would add so much to the career mode were you can start your career in F2 and then work your way up to F1. The career mode now is so boring after a few races because it's pretty much just like quick races with no progression at all. 

Theres a few reasons and tbh I'd love it to be in there but not bothered if its not. Okay so codies are yet to get just the F1 games out without bugs and numerous issues by adding F2 you add a whole other world for there to be numerous problems and bugs etc not to mention double the work load compared to just f1 including all new rules, tracks, formats, cars, liveries, drivers, handling models etc etc theres just so much to do when adding another series a lot of people are worried its not worth the risk of another flop of a game we've only just started getting back on track with 2016 but theres a lot more work that needs to be done

R4pp3r said:

Jthorn97 said:

Theres a few reasons and tbh I'd love it to be in there but not bothered if its not. Okay so codies are yet to get just the F1 games out without bugs and numerous issues by adding F2 you add a whole other world for there to be numerous problems and bugs etc not to mention double the work load compared to just f1 including all new rules, tracks, formats, cars, liveries, drivers, handling models etc etc theres just so much to do when adding another series a lot of people are worried its not worth the risk of another flop of a game we've only just started getting back on track with 2016 but theres a lot more work that needs to be done

Formula 2 cars are all equal: Dallara chassis and Mecachrome V8 engine. So it would take a lot less time to develop. 
    Also, if every new feature was to be rejected just because of potential bugs we wouldn't have career mode, and at the same time there would be even more people complaining that the game is a carbon copy of its predecessor
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • Bcolt93Bcolt93 Member Petrol Head
    F2 would be great for career mode and provides solid longevity to the game

carpa said:

R4pp3r said:

Jthorn97 said:

Formula 2 cars are all equal: Dallara chassis and Mecachrome V8 engine. So it would take a lot less time to develop. 
    Also, if every new feature was to be rejected just because of potential bugs we wouldn't have career mode, and at the same time there would be even more people complaining that the game is a carbon copy of its predecessor

I agree but codies dont have a great history of new content without game breaking bugs and your career comment makes no sense? Career was always in the game until some genius decided to remove it for no good reason