Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Tips on tarmac Pikes Peak and using the 208 T16

P308RP308R Wheel Nut
Hello all,

I'am trying to make a comparision between Dirt Rally and SLRE on the tarmac version of Pikes Peak. I noticed though that the 208 is almost impossible to drive without non stop sliding and drifting. If I watch Loeb's record, the drive is very smooth. SLRE simulates this behaviour pretty spot on but I can't seem to get Dirt's 208 doing the same thing. I hooked up my T150 for this comparision.

Anyone has any tips to get the 208 running more realisticly on tarmac?
| TOCA | CMR | TOCA2 | CMR 2.0 | TOCA WTC | TOCA RACE DRIVER | DTM RACEDRIVER 2 | CMR 4 | DTM RACEDRIVER 3 | DIRT | GRID | F1 2010 | F1 2012 | GRID AS | DIRT RALLY | DIRT4 |

FIR Motorsport

Comments

• PorkhammerPorkhammer Champion
    edited May 15
    That's the V2 tarmac physics for you. They've been broken from the start. The cars glide around like hovercraft. V1 was far superior in terms of overall car movement.

Nothing you can do I'm afraid.

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."

-Juan Manuel Fangio

• P308RP308R Wheel Nut
    Thanks for your answer Porkhammer. Such a shame because on gravel I love it in DR but on tarmac I simply hate it. First time when I fired it up with the wheel I was like .. :s  what in gods name did I just play! The chances that this will be addressed are pretty much zero so for PP on tarmac I'll need to stick to SLRE.

| TOCA | CMR | TOCA2 | CMR 2.0 | TOCA WTC | TOCA RACE DRIVER | DTM RACEDRIVER 2 | CMR 4 | DTM RACEDRIVER 3 | DIRT | GRID | F1 2010 | F1 2012 | GRID AS | DIRT RALLY | DIRT4 |

FIR Motorsport

• DidzisDidzis Race Engineer
    Tarmac phisics was among the few things that SLRE did better than DiRT Rally but even so, I wouldn't say it's "impossible to drive without non stop sliding and drifting". About a week ago there was a Pikes Peak daily with the 208. I was driving pretty cleanly, not even drifting through the hairpins and got 8:06.9. And that was in the rain. If you're sliding all over the place, I think you might just be going too fast. 
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • P308RP308R Wheel Nut

Didzis said:

Tarmac phisics was among the few things that SLRE did better than DiRT Rally but even so, I wouldn't say it's "impossible to drive without non stop sliding and drifting". About a week ago there was a Pikes Peak daily with the 208. I was driving pretty cleanly, not even drifting through the hairpins and got 8:06.9. And that was in the rain. If you're sliding all over the place, I think you might just be going too fast. 

I used the same approach as I did in SLRE. Will keep both of your answers in my mind and will retry a run the coming week.

FIR Motorsport

• boganibogani Champion
    Consider that they actually adressed the PP cars dowforce at one point. The 208PP is still bad after that patch, but when it first came out it was a death machine that would have killed Mr Loeb in the very first corner.

SLRE does tarmac much better but I really can't stand bleeding ears and eyes so I still won't touch it.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• P308RP308R Wheel Nut

bogani said:

SLRE does tarmac much better but I really can't stand bleeding ears and eyes so I still won't touch it.

Give it a shot because it really is thrilling to go up that mountain with the Pikes Peak cars. Even with all the other "rallycars" it is great fun. Graphics are step down from Dirt but the driving pleasure makes up for that ;)

FIR Motorsport

• dgeesi0dgeesi0 Team Principal
    we will just have to wait for dirt 4 to see how the roads are in comparison.in Dirt rally its just not right but atleast it was acknowledged and apparently better in the new game.

i always found my self in Dirt rally trying to force the car by over exaggerating what i needed it to do.when what you need is the finesse. only assetto gets it right for me.
  • boganibogani Champion

P308R said:

bogani said:

Give it a shot because it really is thrilling to go up that mountain with the Pikes Peak cars. Even with all the other "rallycars" it is great fun. Graphics are step down from Dirt but the driving pleasure makes up for that ;)

And sounds are like 5 generations from DR ;)

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• P308RP308R Wheel Nut
    edited May 15

bogani said:

P308R said:

bogani said:

And sounds are like 5 generations from DR ;)

It still sounds better that Gran Turismo  :p No but seriously, the game is also dead cheap to pickup. I find it very enjoyable so far even when Dirt blows it out of the water in terms of sounds and graphics. At times it actually does look pretty and sounds also decent. The exhaust pop effects are great and also replay angles are well done. Look past the occasional framedips though.....

FIR Motorsport

• SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Race Engineer

dgeesi0 said:

we will just have to wait for dirt 4 to see how the roads are in comparison.in Dirt rally its just not right but atleast it was acknowledged and apparently better in the new game.

i always found my self in Dirt rally trying to force the car by over exaggerating what i needed it to do.when what you need is the finesse. only assetto gets it right for me.

I drove the Lotus 49 at Nordschlieffe in VR for the first time over the weekend. That car is a perfect example of the finesse you can over a car in that game, it's an absolute joy to control and get some slight oversteer out of the corners. I haven't had that much fun before just hotlapping!
  • P308RP308R Wheel Nut
    So I changed the wheel settings completely and put on softlock. Difference is night and day. Actually it is pretty good. The rear still feels a bit loose but the car is much much better to drive. Brake distance is a bit different compared to SLRE as well as elevation changes. Need a bit of time to adapt but you can drive that 208 rather cleanly  :)

FIR Motorsport

• DidzisDidzis Race Engineer
    What rotation were you driving before? I'm using 540° and I can drive the 208 kinda cleanly, it will still break loose if you're not careful, but with almost 900 BHP it's to be expected
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Champion
    I've never found it too slide, it's not great, but I don't find that it drifts everywhere. Just did a blast up a minute ago and was quite smooth. I use 720 degrees

Michael

Real life rally co-driver and Full time agricultural student

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One League - Michaels League - Feel free to join!

• P308RP308R Wheel Nut
    Using 540 I think and I put on the softlock. Also changed softlock setting in force feedback to 85. Worked out great  :)

FIR Motorsport

• boganibogani Champion

I've never found it too slide, it's not great, but I don't find that it drifts everywhere. Just did a blast up a minute ago and was quite smooth. I use 720 degrees

Before the patch it was allover the place. It's better now but still not great. 

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• RyuMakkuroRyuMakkuro Champion
    Car simply needs a specific setup. Get a good one, it handles very nicely, get a bad one and it will oversteer everywhere all the time.

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna
  • P308RP308R Wheel Nut

Car simply needs a specific setup. Get a good one, it handles very nicely, get a bad one and it will oversteer everywhere all the time.

I run it completely stock and it runs fine :D I am not the tuning kind a guy ;)

FIR Motorsport

• RyuMakkuroRyuMakkuro Champion

P308R said:
    I run it completely stock and it runs fine :D I am not the tuning kind a guy ;)

Well, I run it completely not stock and as long as my input is smooth I can push it as hard as I want without it sliding all over the place ;p I think I have recorded a run of 7:15 just can't be bothered to edit it and upload to YT xD There's a lot of setups on Workshop, it's worth trying them out if you can't do it yourself. Default setups are most of the time utter crap.

The key with that car is lack of sudden big inputs. As long as you do it, all you get is small slip from the rear which is exactly what you want, because that helps with turning in. That said, with a bad setup your input has to be the smoothest thing ever, otherwise it will slide everywhere as I mentioned before.

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna
  • P308RP308R Wheel Nut
    Thanks for the tip on the tuning part @RyuMakkuro ;

FIR Motorsport

• RallyDrivenRallyDriven Champion
    I'm not a tuner really, but I just did two runs, I lost about 5-10 seconds on my first due to a small off. Other than that, my second run was 20 seconds faster by dropping the front and rear ride height down one. Made a huge difference, I could really attack a lot of the fast corners at the bottom and nearer the top

Michael

Real life rally co-driver and Full time agricultural student

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One League - Michaels League - Feel free to join!