Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Random Tire Punctures at 75%

Are punctures at 75% entirely random? It seems so (or close to it). Is this something that can be addressed in 2017? Entirely random doesn't seem fair or desirable (it's not random in real life). Completely computational, while realistic, is also problem-some because then there is no guesswork in managing tires; in real life, there is guess work because there is no way to exactly measure a tire's life in real time. Maybe some amount of randomness would be acceptable in order to account for this since we're able to see the exact wear while also preserving the realities that track temp, tire temp, wheel spin, and lock ups all have an effect on burning off the last bit of rubber on a part of the tire and thus popping it when it gets toward the end of its life......

......or a) don't make the tire life gauge exact (provide a range, a range of colors, or make it clear that amounts are approximate, or b) just don't provide it at all - full realism :open_mouth:

Here's a test by S12 XBOX AOR champion:

Comments

• R4pp3rR4pp3r Member Race Steward
    75% would be accurate with real life its still possible to get it to 100% but you have to drive so slow and careful every lap to avoid puncturing the tyre same as real life the tyres can go further but they'd have to go so slow so they dont get punctures nd things
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • carpacarpa Member Co-Driver
    I think that randomness is the best compromise, IRL the punctures happen when a very worn tyre hits some debris or a kerb and this can cut the tyre. Since in the game we don't have such depth, random is the best representation to real life I think. You can just hope not to have as much bad luck as Felipe Massa does...
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • R4pp3rR4pp3r Member Race Steward

carpa said:

I think that randomness is the best compromise, IRL the punctures happen when a very worn tyre hits some debris or a kerb and this can cut the tyre. Since in the game we don't have such depth, random is the best representation to real life I think. You can just hope not to have as much bad luck as Felipe Massa does...

Kinda hoping he goes 3 in a row with Vettel to see what happens baha secons wasnt his fault but if its 3 in a row it'll be weird as heck but funny
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • carpacarpa Member Co-Driver

R4pp3r said:

carpa said:

Kinda hoping he goes 3 in a row with Vettel to see what happens baha secons wasnt his fault but if its 3 in a row it'll be weird as heck but funny

Vettel will shout "BLUE FLAGS" at him so loudly his car will be thrown out of the circuit. And he'll still finish ahead of Stroll
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • Neutral1z3rNeutral1z3r Member New Car Smell

carpa said:

Yea...bit of a bummer. I think it's something that Codemasters can strive toward though, that sort of depth. For most people, it's a non-issue, but with some of these league racers like above, they're very in-tune with such real life aspects and it would be awesome for them to be able to take advantage of such nuances.