Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Is Liberty Media easier to deal with than Bernie?

haitch40haitch40 Member, Drivers Unleaded
If you can't say then don't but I wondered if the new FOM was easier to deal with licence wise?

Comments

• haydn23haydn23 Member Race Steward
    I would imagine so. Baring in mind, Bernie still thinks social media won't do good for f1
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • peyt0n89peyt0n89 Member Wheel Nut
    Liberty Media knows how to open doors. Bernie was an old geezer who probably thought that the Internet was just a fad.
    I smell like a new car.
  • thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Pit Crew
    Remember FOM isn't the same as Liberty Media. FOM is in contact with Liberty but a whole other organisation. Nothing has really changed that much untill this point for codemasters I'm almost sure.
    Team radio: "[insert name here], Thom is faster than you!"
  • haitch40haitch40 Member, Drivers Unleaded

Remember FOM isn't the same as Liberty Media. FOM is in contact with Liberty but a whole other organisation. Nothing has really changed that much untill this point for codemasters I'm almost sure.

Excuse me? FOM is a company. Bernie used to run said company. Now Chase runs said company.
  • R4pp3rR4pp3r Member Race Steward

haitch40 said:

Excuse me? FOM is a company. Bernie used to run said company. Now Chase runs said company.

I think hes confused with FIA which replace FOM eith FIA in his statement and it makes sense and is correct, a lot of this game would still need to be approved by FIA not just FOM so while it would be easier FIA would still have restrictions in place i.e i imagine it's FIA stopping us from having serious accidents with proper car damage like more than just wheels and wings
    Nothing better than watching a driver on the ragged edge. Nothing better than feeling a car right on the limits of its own performance.
  • Joethe155Joethe155 Member Pit Crew
    The real breakthrough in official F1games will come when AI drivers can change teams.
  • JamesGJamesG Member Wheel Nut

R4pp3r said:
     i imagine it's FIA stopping us from having serious accidents with proper car damage like more than just wheels and wings

Wrong, it's actually the sponsors. They need aproval from the FIA and FOM, but also the sponsors. And the sponsors want their brand name to be seen, which isn't possible if you lose that part of your car, like the nosecone. That's why we haven't seen full nose cones crash off since what, 2012, 2013?
  • pijinpijin Member Co-Driver
    True but as I understand, FOM is a subsidiary of Formula One Group which is now owned by Liberty and chaired by their own Chase Carey.

That being said,  I doubt the game series is first on their list in terms of revamping by way of loosening contracts. Their prob more focused on making the entertaininemt on tv and in person better first, then they'll handle any requests by Codies, for say, multi-season stuff and driver changes.
  • Cap10Cap10 Member Wheel Nut
    edited May 18
    seriously you think that Bernie even had a look at codemasters games.. he had his staff and a department in place that takes care of care of the approval process. 
    Post edited by Cap10 on
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited May 18

Cap10 said:

seriously you think that Bernie even had a look at codemasters games.. he has his staff and a department that in charge of the approval process.

This. Highly unlikely anything changed in relation to the game licensing terms or process this time around, especially as that process probably started before Liberty's acquisition even completed.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • nexus1011nexus1011 Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    I would assume that official F1 games to FOM is great way to introduce younger audience to the F1 as a sport.
    So therefore it should be very high on their list of priorities because it is a nice and easy way to advertise Formula 1 as something really big.

Also we know how much F1 is struggling to get more of that young crowd to watch it...

If it's not high on list of pritorites by FOM it should be ASAP.
  • LiamDunnLiamDunn Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    edited May 18

nexus1011 said:

I would assume that official F1 games to FOM is great way to introduce younger audience to the F1 as a sport.
    So therefore it should be very high on their list of priorities because it is a nice and easy way to advertise Formula 1 as something really big.

Also we know how much F1 is struggling to get more of that young crowd to watch it...

If it's not high on list of pritorites by FOM it should be ASAP.

I'm sure Chase and the gang (sounds like a tribute act to Kool and the gang) are smart enough to realize that one of the best avenues to getting younger people into the sport is through the use of videogames, but how they go about that though is another thing. Advertising the game at GP's is great but then they're just advertising the game of the sport that the people there already enjoy, it's getting it out to a wider audience and then turning that interest of the game into intrest in the sport itself and having them watch a race weekend which A) is easier said than done and B.) the action on track needs to improve to keep those new younger people coming back and watching more and getting them hooked in, but as we've seen so far (Spain being the slight exception) there's been nothing happening on track for the newcomers not to think "well this is a bit boring", it's going to take a while.
    The moment we became alive death was waiting, chasing.
    F1 2016/2017 Beta Tester

Cap10 said:

seriously you think that Bernie even had a look at codemasters games.. he had his staff and a department in place that takes care of care of the approval process. 

You are thinking too literally. Obviously he didn't negotiate anything himself, but he, as the commercial rights holder, probably set the ethos with which these sort of marketing efforts are dealt with, which would involve strict rules about drivers and sponsors .
  • Cap10Cap10 Member Wheel Nut
    edited May 18

pijin said:

Cap10 said:

You are thinking too literally. Obviously he didn't negotiate anything himself, but he, as the commercial rights holder, probably set the ethos with which these sort of marketing efforts are dealt with, which would involve strict rules about drivers and sponsors .

it just doesn't come down on Bernie or his people in place when some restrictions are set and ethics have to be met. all the parties involved (fom, fia, teams, drivers, sponsors, venues ect...  have their conditions and limits set on what features contents is allowed in the game.  
    Post edited by Cap10 on
    As far as I know, the Concorde agreements basically sell all the marketing rights to FOM and then they can distribute how they wish and set limits where they please. Yeah, I think the sponsors can maybe have a veto if say driver changes were implemented, since drivers have personal sponsors (though I think it can be reasonably accommodated). Remember, FOM and FIA have very strict rules limiting even filming days to like 2 days and 100 miles or something. So the visibility of the last 2 or 3 years of cars is strictly controlled by FOM. That's why you don't see them testing in 2016 cars whenever they feel. They're not allowed to.
  • JamesGJamesG Member Wheel Nut

pijin said:

As far as I know, the Concorde agreements basically sell all the marketing rights to FOM and then they can distribute how they wish and set limits where they please. Yeah, I think the sponsors can maybe have a veto if say driver changes were implemented, since drivers have personal sponsors (though I think it can be reasonably accommodated). Remember, FOM and FIA have very strict rules limiting even filming days to like 2 days and 100 miles or something. So the visibility of the last 2 or 3 years of cars is strictly controlled by FOM. That's why you don't see them testing in 2016 cars whenever they feel. They're not allowed to.

Filming days are limited for cost saving techniques. Private testing is banned, and filming days could be used as a test session, that's why they limited it. 
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited May 20
    Yup. Filming days they are very limited in what they can actually do. Especially for a UK factory where it's freaking raining 2/3 of the year :)
     Before the Financial rules changed Ferrari could lap Fioriano and use wind tunnels for as much as they could afford. The last concorde Brought in no in season testing and massively limited use of wind tunnels to try and lower cost/level the playing field. 
    We've now had limited in season testing return with the new regulations which is definitely a good thing for me. 
  • whitmarsh2whitmarsh2 Member Wheel Nut
    I think the same aspects apply to outside of the official game. I'm sure with their ideas of promoting the sport to a new audience, ensuring cars are able to be put into other games would be a good idea too and removing those barriers could be an avenue they'd be looking at as well. 
    I run the European side of PRL! Feel free to sign up here!