Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Sponsors and the pegi Rating

Bcolt93Bcolt93 Member Co-Driver
I have some questions about particular sponsors being missing. The obvious ones today were the missing tobacco sponsors on the classic liveries, and in recent years the Martini stripe has been a glaring omission on the Williams cars. However when I was looking at the pegi site the first thing I noticed is that alcohol was not even mentioned, unless you file that under "drugs". Surely a company logo isn't depicting the consumption of tobacco or alcohol products, as i don't think any logical person would make that connection, which makes me wonder why the game can't have these sponsors appear on the cars. The logo is there to bring awareness to the brand and to sell, not expressly showing the use of the product. As the site says, this game shouldn't be rated pegi3 in the first place as it depicts real life characters (drivers), and is not total fantasy. So simple logic should dictate, regardless of the sponsor, these games should be pegi7 and have the correct liveries for every team, whether it be in the tobacco era or the alcohol era of sponsorships. Can someone explain at least why its not this simple, seeing as the information i found came directly from pegi's website?

Comments

• 1512marcel1512marcel Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    It should be rated PEGI 18. I hate it when all those minors race the sh*t out of me  :*
    If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.
    Ayrton Senna
  • SentryAlphaSentryAlpha Member, Drivers Wheel Nut

It should be rated PEGI 18. I hate it when all those minors race the sh*t out of me  :*

Going into turn one in an online race is always scary
    Gamertag: jageroni | I'm on Xbox and kinda from the USA | 'MERICA
  • JamesGJamesG Member Wheel Nut
    edited May 18

A workaround in the last Nascar game was the inclusion of  a screen where you had to confirm your age, and the the alcoholic sponsors would be showed on screen, while still maintaining a PEGI 3 rating.  Would be cool to have that, so like that we could have the original williams livery and all the alcohol/tobacco sponsors on the classic cars.

I like this idea. They should do this if they're allowed. It doesn't really matter on PC because people will surely make custom liveries for the cars, but for console where you don't have that luxury, something is needed for those of us who are mature enough and want the proper sponsors on the cars. 
  • whitmarsh2whitmarsh2 Member Wheel Nut

A workaround in the last Nascar game was the inclusion of  a screen where you had to confirm your age, and the the alcoholic sponsors would be showed on screen, while still maintaining a PEGI 3 rating.  Would be cool to have that, so like that we could have the original williams livery and all the alcohol/tobacco sponsors on the classic cars.

I completely agree with this. It's a good idea and has been used for other games. 
    I run the European side of PRL! Feel free to sign up here!
  • BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Co-Driver
    There is more to this than just age. In some real life GP's you won't see Martini as well because the consumption of alcohol in that country is forbidden. So in those countries the game would be forbidden even if it had an age restriction. 

• carpacarpa Member Pit Crew
    In Europe tobacco advertising is banned since 2007. This means that not only teams can't have tobacco logos on the car, but also that scale models cannot fully reproduce the livery of the car anymore. No PEGI rating can get around this.
  • whipdiddywhipwhipdiddywhip Member New Car Smell
    i hate the politically correct bull this world has become

i hate the politically correct bull this world has become

Yeah, I remember when everything was more mellow and people weren't giant cry babies. 
  • kraM1tkraM1t Member Wheel Nut
    Me @ 13 years old: That car has Marlboro on the back so I'll go buy a pack

government logic.
  • 1512marcel1512marcel Member, Drivers Co-Driver

kraM1t said:

government logic.

Worked for me :D  Wonder what they are going to do when Max gets a podium at the American GP. He is underaged according to US law and not permitted to drink alcohol. :*
    If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.
    Ayrton Senna
  • geminiSunrisegeminiSunrise Member Unleaded
    My family is using Rothmans's bath towel.
  • LiamDunnLiamDunn Member, Drivers Wheel Nut

Worked for me :D  Wonder what they are going to do when Max gets a podium at the American GP. He is underaged according to US law and not permitted to drink alcohol. :*

And me also haha. Probably buy him a McDonald's happy meal and a fruit shoot 
    The moment we became alive death was waiting, chasing.
    F1 2016/2017 Beta Tester
  • whitmarsh2whitmarsh2 Member Wheel Nut

LiamDunn said:

And me also haha. Probably buy him a McDonald's happy meal and a fruit shoot 

The McDonald's Happy Meal was great but the Fruit Shoot was the icing on the cake of that joke.
    I run the European side of PRL! Feel free to sign up here!
  • jammie360jammie360 Member Wheel Nut
    Ive heard on the mascar games yli enter your age and obviously depending on what you enter you can have the alchol and tpbacco sponsers and that i believe is pegi 7
  • Bankai3987Bankai3987 Member Unleaded
    Tbh the Williams doesn't even really NEED the full Martini livery... a Red stripe would do.

Something like this.
    Related image

Or even this...
    Image result for bahrain f1 2016 williams
  • Cap10Cap10 Member Wheel Nut
    edited May 18
    supposedly still not acceptable because the layout of the stripes and colors is a trade mark of the brand and will make it recognizable.
  • Bcolt93Bcolt93 Member Co-Driver

Cap10 said:

supposedly still not acceptable because the layout of the stripes and colors is a trade mark of the brand and will make it recognizable.

what i quoted says nothing about brand recognition though, if that was what pegi explicitly stated than so be it. But they said its the depiction of the use of drugs. As far as I'm aware the Williams doesn't have Stroll or Massa with a bottle of booze in hand sticker on the side of the car. The Nascar example above by Alex proves these games can contain alcoholic sponsorships and maintain a low rating. Not sure why it would be different especially considering drinking ages in Europe are largely non-existent compared to the 21 of the USA.

kraM1t said:

government logic.

Even watching back old races with tobacco sponsorship, I've never once felt the need to buy a pack of Marlboro, Lucky Strike, or Mild Seven. I've never smoked and likely never will. 

Government could allow tobacco sponsorship and maybe put some effort into education. But at the end of the day, morons take up smoking because they see someone else doing it and think they look cool doing it. Someone smoking on TV or outside a bar is far more likely to influence, than a logo on a car. 
  • LiamDunnLiamDunn Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    Codemasters is a British company and here we have very strict advertising laws when it comes to tobacco and alcohol, no way would the ASA (Advertising Standards Agency) ever allow the advertisement of a tobacco or alcohol product to be put into a game that can be seen and played by kids, Codemasters would get taken to court very quickly if that ever happened! No amount of "but this that and the other" is ever going to change this, you're all arguing for something that is never ever going to happen, just accept it.
    The moment we became alive death was waiting, chasing.
    F1 2016/2017 Beta Tester