Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

New to the game but can't win?

Have I missed something? I've started playing Dirt Ralley, and the races I've played so far had me 45 seconds behind the 1st (although I did win once), and particularly in the races against other cars my car is obviously far less powerful than the others (which often are of the same type). They just speed off shortly after the start and I just can't get anywhere near them. I finished 16th in the tournament, earned 0 CR and it cost me money to repair my car. So how am I supposed to win? 

Comments

• DidzisDidzis Member Race Engineer
    When you first buy a car in career, it's missing its upgrades and is underpowered. To unlock and install the upgrades, you need to drive a certain distance with each car, but it only counts in career, custom championships and online challenges, but not in custom events. The amount of distance depends on your mechanics perks as those affect the upgrade speed.

As for not being 1st, that's normal when starting. In DiRT Rally the fastest guy in all difficulties will be quite fast, it's the 2nd and 3rd and the rest that matter. On Open with +45 seconds you could be 3rd, on Masters with +45 you'll be like 8th or 9th. On higher difficulties the rest of the field gets better.

In career the top 3 places advance further to a hiher difficulty championship so at least in the beginning, the goal is just to get in the top 3. not necessarily to win (well, that's after you can realiably get to the end of a stage, that would be goal nr.1 :D )
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • naujoksnaujoks Member New Car Smell
    The Rallycross is ridiculous. I'm playing the same laps for the 5th time now, only to slowly see my car being upgraded.
    Not fun, and a really cheap way of making a game really long by forcing you to replay the same tired laps time and time again.
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    rallycross just focus on being clean.its not that hard once you get used to it.
    It is hard when your car is clearly inferior to the others. 
    Now that my car is almost fully upgraded, it's fine, but it was such a grindy process to get there, and so tedious know that you wouldn't be first or second because your car simply wouldn't let you and you just have to run these laps so that your car slowly slowly upgrades itself.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    naujoks said:
    It is hard when your car is clearly inferior to the others. 
    Now that my car is almost fully upgraded, it's fine, but it was such a grindy process to get there, and so tedious know that you wouldn't be first or second because your car simply wouldn't let you and you just have to run these laps so that your car slowly slowly upgrades itself.
    Luckily the silly upgrade system is gone for D4.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

Ôh yeah and while I'm ranting:
    The enemy cars only need to touch you slightly at the back and your car turns round 180 degrees.
    Try as you might to do the same to them, no chance. They go on straight as an arrow.
    The AI is cheating.