Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt 4 Pc, Can not configure steering wheel osw and Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro

ritzcherritzcher Member New Car Smell
I am a pc user and I have a steering wheel osw kit augury, Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro, th8a shifter, Heusinkveld Sim Shifter Sequential, Heusinkveld Sim Handbrake. Today when I tried to race with the dirt4, I could not configure any of my peripherals. When I want to configure the controls is impossible, it is as if the cursor moved from top to bottom all the time and I can not configure anything. I've been testing and removing all morning and I have not gotten anything. Please, I hope you can help me. With the dirt rally, everything works perfectly.

a greeting
Ritzcher

Comments

• ritzcherritzcher Member New Car Smell

I've updated the 500 mb of the update and still giving me the same problem, in the end I have deleted all the dirt4 steam and I I have again reinstalled and still the same.

I think the pedals  Heusinkveld sim pro is that this entering into conflict and acts as if the cursor of the keyboard and not let me select any options already that is in continuous motion. It is hopeless, I've tried everything and remains the same.

does anyone know because this happens me?

• Dusan78Dusan78 Member New Car Smell
    I have almost the same OSW hardware with HE Pedals, handbrake and shifter and also can't make it work.  I did manage to get the steering working but than keyboard wouldn't work at all so I couldn't even press start/enter to go into the game.  It looks like it can't use more than one device at a time.  Also, if you press your brake half way you can make the menu rolling stop but it's still impossible to change any settings.  If you want to use keyboard key for changing cameras and your OSW for steering it doesn't seem to work at all.  I don't understand why it's so hard to just use a part of the code that has worked in previous games.  For now this game is useless and I regret pre-purchasing it.
    edited June 11
    Ok, I've figured it out finally and there is a work around to our problem.  Everybody with OSW and HE Sim Pedals + accessories. 

1- Disconnect Pedals from USB (This will prevent rolling menu and allow you to set all the other devices including Handbrake, Shifter.... )  When assigning function make sure only those used for that device are assigned.

2- Now select Keyboard as your steering device. 

3-Plug in your HE Pedals. (Rolling menu select will begin.)

4-Press your brake slowly until you get the "menu rolling to stay still".

5-Now again go to devices, select HE SIM PEDALS and go into the Button Assignment.

6-You wont be able to stop this menu roll BUT, you can just keep pressing F1 now until you reset all of the assignments.

7-Rolling should now have stopped as you reset everything under that device and you can now go to Gas, Brake and Clutch and only set those.

8- Everything should now be working, just go back and select Automatic Selection as your steering device and you should be good to go.

9- Set the FFB to your liking. (If  you don't have FFB then you need to add the Device ID as per another tutorial that's already posted.

10-ENJOY (Not sure about your opinion of the game but I think they went backwards on Graphics, it looks more cartoony than realistic when compared to Dirt Rally.  Sound is better.  The game doesn't look finished at all as there are blinking textures and various artifacts on some stages.   Overall I'm not impressed and expected more.

Cheers!

Thank you very much for your information.

I'm going to wait for codemaster to arrange this, can when we tested dirt rally us delude the idea of having a rally Simulator, but I think that codemaster has returned again to bet more arcade system and that it has not given a configuration that works for professional simulation devices.

Anyway before you uninstall dirt4 from my pc, I'll be aware of the updates and hope is to fix these problems.

You're welcome and I totally agree.  I was sold on the Rally 2.0 expectations and being able to use more as a simulator with high end pro equipment like OSW and HE Pedals and accessories.  I wish they could just use the Rfactor 2 physics and slap on some proper GTX 1080 graphics but it looks like we'll have to hope that others come out with better, proper solutions to give us rally fans a decent simulator.

Cheers!

I agree completely, Rfactor 2 is for my  the best Simulator, with the OSW is incredible

Best regards

• racerdad76racerdad76 Member New Car Smell
    FWIW, I have the exact same issues with a set of PT1 pedals. The OS detects the device as a "DSD 12bit controller", and that is usually what is shown in games. In Dirt4 this device isn't listed, only my keyboard and my AccuForce. I've looked through what XML files I can find and can't seem to see any area where I can manually define the pedals. Plugging the pedals in during the game just causes the endless scrolling cursor, device still isn't listed. Hard to believe nobody in any of the reviews of Dirt4 ran into this problem...I'm to believe they all used off the shelf gear? Hmmm...

Well at least I can turn off two of my monitors and play this with an xbox controller.
    Have you seen the tutorial for editing "devices_defines.xml" inside your Dirt 4 folder.  In this file you can add various device IDs.  At the beginning of the file are instructions as to how to get the right hardware code and how to define the devices that are not shown there.  You can use other lines in the file as your guide as well.  But you will have to go into your Control Panel / Devices and go to properties of each of the devices that you want to use and get the PID and VID.  However, I do remember seeing a separate DXtweak tutorial for DSD 12 bit controller so that might be something to look at as well.  Here's a link to that.  Let me know if you have problems with the above as well and I'll try and help out more.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/pedals---dxtweak.html

Cheers!
    I've added the following line to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT 4\input\devices\device_defines.xml:
      <device id="{33A704D8-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="pt1_pedals" priority="100" type="unknown" />   <!-- PT1 pedals -->

The device details under properties is "HID\VID_04D8&PID_33A7&REV_0001"

I've tried both unknown and pedal for types, neither have made a change in the behavior of Dirt4. I still don't see any other devices listed under options. I've tried both having the pedals plugged in when starting and without. With the pedals in I still get the annoying "scrolling" problem.

Am I not creating the custom device entry correctly? Do I need to edit something under  the "My Games\Dirt4" directory?

Thanks!
    Have you created a custom actionmap file for that device. You'll find those in the actionmaps folder in Dirt 4.  You also have to define some default functions in the there.  Use the files in the directory as your guide.  Notepad++ is free tool for this.  The reason why scrolling is happening is because your pedals have functions for up and down set to the axis of the pedals.  Idea is to first select keyboard as your steering device so that way you can press F1 when in the device menu/ button assignments for your pedals and nullify all those button assignments that shouldn't be set in the first place.  Let me know how it goes.
    Thanks so much for your help. Got it going!
    Here's what I ended up with:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT 4\input\actionmaps\dsd_adapter.xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <action_map name="pt1_pedals" device_name="dsd_adapter" library="lib_direct_input">
      <group name="driving">
        <action name="accelerate">
          <axis name="di_x_axis_rotation" type="positive" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
        </action>
        <action name="brake">
          <axis name="di_z_axis_rotation" type="positive" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
        </action>
        <action name="clutch">
          <axis name="di_y_axis_rotation" type="positive" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
        </action>
      </group>
      </action_map>
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT 4\input\devices\device_defines.xml
    <device id="{33A704D8-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="dsd_adapter" priority="100" type="pedal" />   <!-- PT1 pedals -->

One odd thing though, even with that definition it was showing the clutch as x-axis in game, not x-axis-rotation. I could set it in game to the proper thing in the game, but the preset didn't work for some reason. Anyways, at least I'm able to get the game running now.  Hopefully this post will help someone else out too.

Where is the current configuration saved for the controls? I noticed that after updating the clutch in-game that none of the settings in "dsd_adapter.xml" had changed. Just curious.

...and I use Notepad++ for most everything in Windows. :)

I'm glad I could be of help.  You're right the control assignments are not saved in the xml files and to be honest I have no idea where they reside.  The custom actionmap and device ID addition are pretty much just so the device would show up in the game.  Once I got it solved I stopped trying to reverse engineer the code although it really doesn't make sense to me where else are the setting coming from.  Main thing is that you can use your proper sim hardware to play this arcade mess of a game. lol  I can't even tell you how much additional time I have spent trying to get FFB right and it's still not where I would like it to be.  Lets hope that coming updates will address some of the issues and glitches.  Dirt 4 for me is definitely a lunchbox letdown.  I opened it hopping for a nice ham and swiss cheese sandwich and instead I got a cracker and some plastic cheese thins. :smiley:

I totally agree so far. I don't like to think I jumped aboard the hype train, but maybe so. Hopefully the updates will help sort out a few things. I can't get *too* crazy with the judgments as I don't have enough time invested yet (playing, not setting up). Trying to sort out FOV now...
    I will have to wait for a update of the dirt4, the changes that you say of the file I do not make them, besides my steering wheel is different from yours, I have the Augury OSW and the pedals are the pro pro of Heusinkveld. Anyway thanks for the contributions, hopefully Codemaster will respond.
  • HeusinkveldHeusinkveld Member New Car Smell
    Hi guys, we've tested this on our own simulators and did not run into this issue. We are however aware that the pedal configuration issue does seem to hit customers and have contacted Codemasters to assist them with a solution.

• GrimmerFandangoGrimmerFandango Member New Car Smell
    Hi,

For those who are having the issues with the pedals, we just have a few questions that would be very helpful if you could answer so we can try and investigate this issue further.

- What Operating System and Graphics cards are you using?

- Do you have any other peripherals plugged in? if so what are they?

- Have you modified the action maps, action defines or device defines? if yes, how?

- What does Windows see the device as

- What does the game see the device as? (in device management)

- What actions are bound the to device by default?

- Does the device have a preset?

Apologies for the lengthy list but again, this would be very helpful for us to try and identify the issue.

Thanks.

edited June 16

* Windows 10 Home Edition / EVGA GTX 1080 Superclocked

* OSW Simucube with IONI Pro HC / Heusinkveld (Pro Sim Pedals + Handbrake + Seq Shifter)

* Devices shown as:
                          + MMos Force Feedback 2014 
                          + HE SIM PEDALS 
                          + HE Sequential Shifter
                          + HE SIM HANDBRAKE

* Game sees the devices as above but I believe there were not shown (or at least some of them) until I have first added them to the device_defines.xml in the Dirt4/Input/Devices folder.  Instruction for adding devices are at the beginning at that file.

* Adding action maps didn't seem to do much for me except totally prevented the keyboard and mouse from working and since I don't have buttons on the wheel I had to ALT-F4 to close the game.  I have also deleted all the action maps for the devices that I wasn't using but used them as a guide to create my own for my devices.

* In the end I could stop the scrolling menus by holding the pedal at certain position so I could at least navigate at least partially.  This is when I noticed that going in the button assignments for HE SIM PEDALS all the functions have been mapped to the pedals and ones that were causing the problem were Pedal Axis to the Menu Navigation.  So for some reason the HE SIM PEDALS had all these assignments by default even though it was never set by me.

**This is when I went back and selected the keyboard as my input device and then went back to button assignments for HE SIM PEDALS and while the menu was scrolling I was able to just hit F1 to clear the assignment to where ever the it landed on.  Once those were cleared I was able to use the menu system normally and set proper button and axis assignments for all the devices.

** After this FFB didn't work even though the wheel did so I realized that there has to be a line in the device_defines.xml 
    <device id="{0FFBF055-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="MMos ForceFeedback 2014" priority="100" type="wheel" />

I also have an actionmap "MMos ForceFeedback 2014.xml" and inside the file is:

<action_map name="MMos ForceFeedback 2014" device_name="MMos ForceFeedback 2014" library="lib_direct_input">
      <group name="driving">

<group name="steer">
          <action name="left">
            <axis name="di_x_axis" type="lower" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
          </action>
          <action name="right">
            <axis name="di_x_axis" type="upper" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
          </action>
        </group>
      </group>
    </action_map>

** I have noticed that action maps really don't do much because all my settings and assignements are saved but there is nothing inside the actionmaps folder other then Keyboard, Mouse that MMos xml file I created.  There are also no Presets for anything.  First, I created a detailed actionmap file for all my devices trying to solve the scrolling menu problem but, it didn't do anything and there were no mappings applied at all which led me to believe that setting were actually being stored somewhere else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope it helps you created an update so people don't have to do what I did.  Thankfully I watched a lot of MacGuyver when I was younger.  :)

Post edited by Dusan78 on
    Hi guys, we've tested this on our own simulators and did not run into this issue. We are however aware that the pedal configuration issue does seem to hit customers and have contacted Codemasters to assist them with a solution.

Thanks for your reply. I have a problem with the of his"sim handbrake",when I connect it and start dirt4
    the cursor on menu on the screen starts to go up and down ant it is impossible to configure it,
    when I disconnect it from the port usb returns to operate the cursor correctly.
    Some solution to this problem with "sim handbrake"
    Regards

- What Operating System and Graphics cards are you using?

Windows 10 pro 64 bits

Nvidia 680 OC

- Do you have any other peripherals plugged in? if so what are they?

I have a steering wheel osw kit augury, Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro, th8a shifter, Heusinkveld Sim Shifter Sequential, Heusinkveld Sim Handbrake

- Have you modified the action maps, action defines or device defines? if yes, how?

Yes

the device_defines.xml 

<device id="{0FFBF055-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" name="MMos ForceFeedback 2014" priority="100" type="wheel" />

I also have an actionmap "MMos ForceFeedback 2014.xml" and inside the file is:

<action_map name="MMos ForceFeedback 2014" device_name="MMos ForceFeedback 2014" library="lib_direct_input">
      <group name="driving">

<group name="steer">
          <action name="left">
            <axis name="di_x_axis" type="lower" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
          </action>
          <action name="right">
            <axis name="di_x_axis" type="upper" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
          </action>
        </group>
      </group>

</action_map>

- What does Windows see the device as

Windows detects all devices as game devices

- What does the game see the device as? (in device management)

game devices

- What actions are bound the to device by default?

MMos ForceFeedback 2014

- Does the device have a preset?

All the devices I have are plug and play
  • kanduterykandutery Member New Car Smell
    Hi friends. I have the same problem. I can't get a solution

i have an intel 5960x
    msi 980gtx

windows i don't remember. Later i see wich version is