Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt 4 PC Stutter 60fps.

HinjimaHinjima Member New Car Smell
Hello, having some issues with Dirt 4 on the PC... Locking the game to 60fps / Vsync creates stutter down to 55fps and back to 60fps every 2-5 seconds.  Unlocking the framerate makes no difference, still getting the stutter.  Tried everything in the nvidia control panel and in game, I will leave a link to a video I made so you can see the issue yourself. 

I ran Dirt Rally at 4k 60fps ultra with no issues, so its not a hardware problem. Going to link to a few steam threads where people experience the same issue, running the game in admin mode made no difference to me.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/421020/discussions/0/1354868867714787641/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/421020/discussions/0/1354868867715761929/
If anyone are experiencing the same problems, please post below! Thank you.

I am afraid to test anymore because I am soon exceeding my 2h playtime for a refund on steam, any feedback from developers would be absolutely fantastic!
Hinjima. 980 ti overclocked - i5 6600k @ 4.6ghz - 16gb 3200mhz ram and running on an SSD.

Post edited by Hinjima on

Comments

• HinjimaHinjima Member New Car Smell
    :UPDATE
    Reinstalled the game and launched it right after it was reinstalled, and it ran at steady 60 with some microstutters, almost smooth enough!  After exiting the game and opening it up the drop to 55fps was back, restarting the PC or verifying the integrity of game files on steam did not help.
    I am not interested in reinstalling the game each time I want to fire it up. But maybe it makes Codemasters job abit easier finding the bug.
  • fitbritfitbrit Member New Car Smell
    Yes, getting this too with a GT1070 - I did install the latest Dirt4 ready nvidia drivers too.
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    Could you try if the same thing happens when you unplug your wheel?

One user reported stutters on similar graphic card but only when his wheel is plugged in. Just to narrow down the options. 
  • foxracingincfoxracinginc Member New Car Smell
    i am experiencing the same stutter.
    https://youtu.be/Iy1nbnsQQZw
    i'm using an xbox one elite controller and do not have a wheel, but i have a second usb gamepad connected. diasbling the second gamepad in device manager (or unplugging it) eliminates the stutter. very weird issue... this is surely something that should be looked at by the devs, IMHO.
    edited June 10
    versedi said:
    Could you try if the same thing happens when you unplug your wheel?

One user reported stutters on similar graphic card but only when his wheel is plugged in. Just to narrow down the options. 
    Started the game with only mouse and keyboard 10 times and it did not stutter, plugged in the wheel / usb shifter and it started to stutter, unplugged the wheel and shifter and it was smooth again!
    It is definitely causing the issue I am having on my end.
    Hinjima.

edited June 10
    @KickUp @Hatward @ChristinaMc

We're onto something.

@Hinjima any USB hub that the wheel is connected through? is the port 2.0 or 3.0? 

/e: similar case I've mentioned earlier: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/53004/dirt-4-using-a-g27-introduces-hitches-every-3-seconds#latest
    The wheel and shifter are connected to the front USB 2.0 of the case, I also tried the front 3.0 and it made no difference. I tried plugging the wheel and shifter into the 2.0 USB and USB 3.1 at the back ( directly into motherboard ) with same results, it still stutters every 2-5 seconds.
    I use a TH8A separate USB shifter,  let me know if you want me to try with only the wheel or even only the shifter plugged in to see if that makes a difference.
    Hinjima.
  • AndrewWOTAndrewWOT Member New Car Smell
    Most likely same issue we had with DR after one of the patches, i.e. controllers related.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/421020/discussions/0/1354868867717341613/#c1354868867717783404

• JepserttiJepsertti Member Petrol Head
    I'm having the exact same issue. Stuttering every few seconds when I have my Logitech G27 plugged in and the stuttering is gone when I disconnect the wheel. Also, my GPU is a GTX 1070 too.
    PC: Intel Core i7-2600 3.8GHz ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G Gaming 8GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD | 2TB HDD Windows 10 Pro
    Wheel: Logitech G27 with custom rally rim | DSD steering wheel adapter | DSD longer shifter paddles | Modded brake
    Others: DSD Sequential shifter Rally seat Phone stand behind the wheel (for dashboard) Samsung 42" Full HD LED 3D TV

Steam username: JJBruce

@Jepsertti prepare a dxdiag and msinfo32 for support it will help them narrow down if it's related to hardware/software, not sure what the email address was.

@ChristinaMc is it: custservice@codemasters.com ? 
  • JepserttiJepsertti Member Petrol Head
    versedi said:
    @Jepsertti prepare a dxdiag and msinfo32 for support it will help them narrow down if it's related to hardware/software, not sure what the email address was.

Just saved DxDiag and msinfo32 so currently waiting for a confirmation on what email address I should send them to :)
    PC: Intel Core i7-2600 3.8GHz ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G Gaming 8GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD | 2TB HDD Windows 10 Pro
    Wheel: Logitech G27 with custom rally rim | DSD steering wheel adapter | DSD longer shifter paddles | Modded brake
    Others: DSD Sequential shifter Rally seat Phone stand behind the wheel (for dashboard) Samsung 42" Full HD LED 3D TV

Steam username: JJBruce

versedi said:

Let me know as well, I'll send my dxdiag and msinfo32. 
  • jespedjesped Member New Car Smell
    edited June 11
    Same hitching/fps drops here, but ONLY when connecting my G27 wheel.
    Here's a video playing with gamepad until I connect the wheel at 00:50, then it's hitching constantly.

It does the same even in the start screen:

1. You can see stable 60 fps
    2. At 00:20 I connect the G27 and fps start to drop regularly to 50's
    3. At 00:50 I disconnect the wheel's USB cable, but the hitches/fps drops remain until I exit the game.
  • Ale1983Ale1983 Member New Car Smell
    Hi, I have the same problem, stutter also in the menu O-O. Windows10 / 64 980ti i7-4770 16Gb ram G-SYNC monitor, stutter also at 100fps!
    Ale1983 said:
    Hi, I have the same problem, stutter also in the menu O-O. Windows10 / 64 980ti i7-4770 16Gb ram G-SYNC monitor, stutter also at 100fps!
    Does it also occur when you unplug your wheel/controller? 
  • Jester28OCJester28OC Member New Car Smell
    Hi. I had the same issue with Dirt Rally. The issue was down to a D-Link USB hub. After replacing with a different hub the stuttering completely stopped.
  • Ale1983Ale1983 Member New Car Smell
    versedi said:
    Ale1983 said:
    Does it also occur when you unplug your wheel/controller? 
    Yes, with new and old Nvidia driver (382.53 current)
  • jespedjesped Member New Car Smell
    edited June 12
    I managed to track down the problem to my keyboard: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/ripjaws-km780-mx--cherry-mx-blue
    Tried connecting to other USB ports and disconnecting the extra USB port on the keyboard but the result is the same: If  both the wheel and the keyboard are connected Dirt4 hitches.

So yeah, just having a keyboard in your system can make Dirt4 unplayable. So much for Code"masters".

Do I have to send MsInfo and DxDiag to some email address?
    Post edited by jesped on
    Thats some good findings there Jesped! Maybe I can play some Dirt 4 later if I plug out  my mouse and keyboard then, been putting of playing it since release due to the stutters sadly.  I will report my findings as well.
  • PhirePhire Member New Car Smell
    I am having the same issues stutters like crazy to the point I cant play its driving me mad I am going back to play Dirt rally
    Please fix I am using a g29 wheel with usb controller as a hand brake