Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

F1 2017 D-Box and UDP Output Specification

Comments

• baxbax Member Unleaded
    There is still room in the cars struct to also include penalties, it may not need to be a float though as i presume its usually just +x seconds?

I agree, there is still room... and yes... penalties are usually sum of +3, +5 or +10, only integer values and approximately +30 cause a DSQ (so the amount will not be so big)
  • BDub1027BDub1027 Member New Car Smell
    @Hoo This is awesome, and already such a big improvement over last year. Would it be possible to add a packet with the car's setup data as well? I would love to be able to use the lap data plus setup data to be able to compare and fine tune the setups in testing. One packet per lap, or even just when the setup changes would do it. 
    Really looking forward to release day. 
  • dwin20dwin20 Member Wheel Nut
    This is really good news! I have really liked a lot of what is being discussed in the upcoming F2017 game, but the biggest weakness this game has had is telemetry. While this doesn't take care of in-game telemetry (which I am still hoping for) it will at least provide better data for third-party applications - that with enhanced data I will be glad to pay for. @Hoo is there any possibility for in-game telemetry? Thanks
  • KafumantoKafumanto Member New Car Smell
    BDub1027 said:
    @Hoo This is awesome, and already such a big improvement over last year. Would it be possible to add a packet with the car's setup data as well? I would love to be able to use the lap data plus setup data to be able to compare and fine tune the setups in testing. One packet per lap, or even just when the setup changes would do it. 
    Really looking forward to release day. 
    Low frequency packets with the car setup would be great! +1 :)
  • SlowishSlowish Member Wheel Nut
    Is there a way to provide Engine RPM in % for LED RPM light arrays?

I use SimDash with both a DLC-247 and ProRace2 LED displays but, have to assign actual RPM values for each LED and make custom profiles for each car in Dirt4. With all other titles, RPM% automatically provides relevant RPM values for any car using a single SimDash profile.

PC Mobo MSi Z270 Pro / CPU Intel i7-7700k @4.2 ghz / RAM G.Skills RipJaws 32GB DDR4 / OS Windows 10 / GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 / Audio SoundBlaster ZX / Tactile OB Realtek (Extensions) / SB Audigy (Chassis) / Control AccuForce / OSW Mige (10k) SimuCube / CSS SQ / CST F1 Pedals / Displays 27" triples / Oculus CV-1

• HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    I don't understand the driver ID logic. What logic? Exactly.
    We don't remove or replace the driver IDs when we get new drivers each year to ensure that legacy apps still provide the correct info. Unfortunately, it does seem a little disorganised now!
    mantazzo said:
    float m_vehicleFIAFlags; // -1 = invalid/unknown, 0 = none, 1 = green, 2 = blue, 3 = yellow, 4 = red

Red Flags back in game confirmed? (unless it was same in 2016)

And also one more thing...

byte  m_fuel_mix;                 // fuel mix - 0 = lean, 1 = standard, 2 = rich, 3 = max
    New fuel mode, or just Time Trial mode? Just wondering.

Red flags was a legacy feature.

Max fuel mode is used in qualifying only.
  • cjorgens79cjorgens79 Member New Car Smell
    @Hoo - will I get a notification automatically when the next beta starts so i can test any changes to the api? Do you happen to know if the next beta will have other games modes available (basically anything with multiple players) so i can test the participants stuff?
    bax said:
    Some question about struct CarUDPData, since my field of interest is the live coverage overlay

1) what is exactly this parameter?
    byte  m_trackPosition;     // track positions of vehicle
    is it similar to float m_car_position; // car race position ?
    If not... I can calculate the race car position using m_lapDistance & m_currentLapNum but ... but wow :#
    I took m_trackPosition to mean race position, since its a byte. Car position on the track is m_WorldPosition[]
    @bax  - Sorry, these are actually the same thing. We should probably rename them to keep it consistent.
    We usually send out emails prior to beta re-activation. This is roughly at 3-week intervals until we ship (so will be live again on Tuesday).

edited July 3
    To summarise some of the above info, we've made the following changes already in our latest 2017 code:
    • Pit limiter speed is now shown in mph. If anyone is converting into km/h then this will need updating.
    • Packing is now enabled. I've updated the UDP info on the first page to show this.
    I've got the following items on the backlog for further discussion:
    • Add support for showing penalties
    • Add support for showing car setups
    • Add support for showing revs as a % of max revs
    • Add player names. Unfortunately, sending out any unencrytped personal information from the game is not permitted. We are unable to do this directly from the UDP stream in this way, so this might need some more thought to give the desired result.
    • Continue running telemetry data after the race ends. Presumably this is for recording output for MP races. This is difficult as the output stream is also used by steering wheels and motion platforms and the intention is always to stop outputting to them when the player is no longer driving the car. We need to consider this one more carefully to see if both uses for the data can be accommodated.
    • EDIT: Option for a unique session ID to help correlate telemetry results

Post edited by Hoo on
    Hoo said:
    To summarise some of the above info, we've made the following changes already in our latest 2017 code:
    • Pit limiter speed is now shown in mph. If anyone is converting into km/h then this will need updating.
    • Packing is now enabled. I've updated the UDP info on the first page to show this.
    I've got the following items on the backlog for further discussion:
    • Add support for showing penalties
    • Add support for showing car setups
    • Add support for showing revs as a % of max revs
    • Add player names. Unfortunately, sending out any unencrytped personal information from the game is not permitted. We are unable to do this directly from the UDP stream in this way, so this might need some more thought to give the desired result.
    • Continue running telemetry data after the race ends. Presumably this is for recording output for MP races. This is difficult as the output stream is also used by steering wheels and motion platforms and the intention is always to stop outputting to them when the player is no longer driving the car. We need to consider this one more carefully to see if both uses for the data can be accommodated.

Re player names, i wasn't asking for anything confidential, just the public nicknames that are displayed in multiplayer lobbies and in multiplayer races. 

Re the telemetry data continuing past the end of the race, all we really need is the timing/session information continuing to tick over, all the player vehicle telemetry that would be used by the motion sims could stop updating once the finish line is crossed. It would be handy for it to start streaming just before the race start (when the camera is doing the track preview) and continue until the results screen when all players have finished. Having a "session state" value indicating the changes will make it much easier to detect session changes, session restarts etc. So there could be a couple of session states, "waiting for race to start" for prior to the start lights going out, "race started" during the race, "waiting for race finish" for after player has finished but is waiting for other players to finish, and "race finished" once everyone has finished.
    We'll look into the additional player telemetry to see if we can keep that running. 

Regarding names, we are not permitted (by the console manufacturers) to broadcast the names as they appear on a console through unencrypted data streams. We'll have to do some more investigation to see if there is a way to support anything like this in the future.
    Hoo said:
    We'll look into the additional player telemetry to see if we can keep that running. 

Regarding names, we are not permitted (by the console manufacturers) to broadcast the names as they appear on a console through unencrypted data streams. We'll have to do some more investigation to see if there is a way to support anything like this in the future.
    Ok thanks. Re transmitting the in game nicknames, you must have a different agreement as other racing simulator providers on console are doing this in their telemetry feeds which are unencrypted.
    Hoo said:

Ok thanks. Re transmitting the in game nicknames, you must have a different agreement as other racing simulator providers on console are doing this in their telemetry feeds which are unencrypted.
    i wonder if their restriction relates to sending any information regarding the XB1/PS4 user account on the console, i could understand that. I wouldnt have thought there would be any restriction on sending a custom driver name that the user has been asked to specify for use in the game.
    If the custom player name is deemed to be personally identifiable information then there are also rules about handling that properly. From your perspective, it might become difficult to match up user data if people are able to create and change custom player names freely. Less of an issue for a single event, but could rule out storing of longer-term telemetry info per player.

I'll ask the team to double-check the standards and see what might be possible.
    Hoo said:
    If the custom player name is deemed to be personally identifiable information then there are also rules about handling that properly. From your perspective, it might become difficult to match up user data if people are able to create and change custom player names freely. Less of an issue for a single event, but could rule out storing of longer-term telemetry info per player.

I'll ask the team to double-check the standards and see what might be possible.
    for what i am doing, it wont be a problem if players change names as each players data gets tied to their own app account. Its just for display purposes in the online portal when looking at race results. Users will be able to add their friends (via their portal logins, not game names) but having the names allows me to show a results table with the in game competitor names that were used at the time.

Actually one thing i forgot to ask (not sure if i mentioned it previously in the F1 2016 DBOX forum), but it would be great if there was a globally unique session ID available for any multiplayer races as this would make it really simple to link telemetry data recorded from different players to the same session.
    Yes, you had mentioned that. It is on the list.
  • kingmjjkingmjj Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    edited July 7
    This may be the dumbest question ever but is their some UDP telemetry software I can use on PC to read back telemetry from my beta on Xbox? @Hoo
  • mantazzomantazzo Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    kingmjj said:
    This may be the dumbest question ever but is their some UDP telemetry software I can use on PC to read back telemetry from my beta on Xbox? @Hoo
    This user-made app is still working well on the beta http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/telemetry-application.11617/ just adjust your Xbox to send UDP data to PC IP (works best with router). I use it occasionally, still works well (although not adjusted for the beta, but I did notify the developer about this thread).

[LTU] Mantaz - mantazzo - Mantas
    F1 2016 - F1 2017 Beta Tester [PC]