Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Issue with Different Car Physics from Joyride to Racing

itsJess7itsJess7 Member New Car Smell
When testing out vehicles in the joyride free roam area, the vehicles feel great. They feel a lot like they did in DiRT Rally. I have wasted a lot of money testing out vehicles here only to find out that they drive completely different outside of the Dirt Fish area. Why are the physics of the game so different in the rest of DiRT 4 than they are in Dirt Fish? It is almost as if they run on different systems. 

I really enjoyed playing DiRT Rally and was excited to find out that the 2001 Subaru was in DiRT 4. That was my favorite vehicle in the game. I tested it out in joy ride and bought it, and started a rally championship. It was a different car from what I drove in joyride. 

It is not only this car this has happened to. It also happens consistently, not as a one time issue. The first car I had in DiRT Rally was the RWD Renault, so I tested it in joy ride free roam as well. After talking with a friend and asking him to test this out as well, he agreed and I decided to make the post. 

(Side-Note: I leave the game in simulation, so there is no confusion here between gamer mode and simulation mode)
(Side-Note: I am using PS4 with controller and default settings)

Tagged:

Comments

• MarshymallerMarshymaller Member New Car Smell
    Yeah, it's a very weird thing. I have to assume the gravel on Dirtfish is a less grippy surface, which fits with people's feelings that the game needs to reduce grip a little bit to feel like Dirt Rally. I hope the devs eventually point out the difference between the stages and Dirtfish's surfaces, it would be interesting to find out what's going on behind the scenes on that one.
  • WhiteWagonWhiteWagon Member Co-Driver
    edited June 14
    @Headlong I don't know whether we can put it down to that. 
    I had been driving my mk2 all afternoon, across all stages, really had it keyed in, and decided to go to Dirtfish for some circlework. 
    It's 100% completely different physics IMO.

It is weird.
  • gheeDgheeD Member Race Steward
    i believe its down to the surface roughness, bumps and camber. The effect of hooking the inside on a curve is really big, helping the car turn a lot (i tend to have issue of going too sideways because its so exaggerated effect IMO) . dirtfish is completely flat and you dont find such flat areas on stages. 

so i think all the cambers and roughness are making the car prone to turn, which isnt there at dirt fish thus for dirt fish u have to make too oversteery setups and have problems on actial stages.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    edited June 14
    gheeD said:
    i believe its down to the surface roughness, bumps and camber. The effect of hooking the inside on a curve is really big, helping the car turn a lot (i tend to have issue of going too sideways because its so exaggerated effect IMO) . dirtfish is completely flat and you dont find such flat areas on stages. 

so i think all the cambers and roughness are making the car prone to turn, which isnt there at dirt fish thus for dirt fish u have to make too oversteery setups and have problems on actial stages.
    Yes, the surface is different. Broken tarmac and another type of gravel. Still feels like the overall grip is a bit more progressive there.

Did you try the Subaru NR4 in the Michigan weekly? Default setup is good enough. This is more how I expect roads in Finland would feel. Great feeling of weight comin over all those crests and flowing turns!

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

bogani said:
    gheeD said:

Did you try the Subaru NR4 in the Michigan weekly? Default setup is good enough. This is more how I expect roads in Finland would feel. Great feeling of weight comin over all those crests and flowing turns!
    Yes i did the weekly. Changed the diff and bit of arbs to hold the slides better when hooking the front on the inside of corners. It felt pretty fun but also the subaru felt kind of bad when pushed hard and not acting like i was expecting it. Either you make the car snap loose or get it under control but have understeer in fast corners when you go sideways. also even if you get it loose it just grips again and bogs down the rpms.
    gheeD said:
    bogani said:
    gheeD said:

Yes i did the weekly. Changed the diff and bit of arbs to hold the slides better when hooking the front on the inside of corners. It felt pretty fun but also the subaru felt kind of bad when pushed hard and not acting like i was expecting it. Either you make the car snap loose or get it under control but have understeer in fast corners when you go sideways. also even if you get it loose it just grips again and bogs down the rpms.
    To me, driving those stages felt more Finland than Finland in DR.

I thought the default setup felt well balanced. The Mitsu was a bit snappier on those roads. Sitting on the wrong side didn't help either ;)

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

you dont need to teach me how to drive a rally car. trust me.

My main gripe is the huge difference in grip level once you hook the inside in the ditch to help car rotate. I still feel that is way weird how the rear loses grip and goes sideways and you only catch it when ur totally sideways and dont actually benefit from hooking the front to the inside curve.
  • VannipoVannipo Member Unleaded
    I am REALLY not sure, but, can this be:

I have read something about ur staff (the engineer?) , dependend on the grade, tuning ur car?
    Can it be, that the car is something like auto-adjusted, depending on the track?
    Maybe these proposed settings  makes the car different? More grip, different steering?

I have to check that...Hopefully finding out, that it's nonsense :)
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    edited June 14
    Vannipo said:

I have read something about ur staff (the engineer?) , dependend on the grade, tuning ur car?
    Can it be, that the car is something like auto-adjusted, depending on the track?
    Maybe these proposed settings  makes the car different? More grip, different steering?

Nonsense, car parts grade - only durability.

Engineer grade allows you for more levels/freedom with sliders in the car setup.
  • VannipoVannipo Member Unleaded
    versedi said:
    Vannipo said:

Engineer grade allows you for more levels/freedom with sliders in the car setup.

The amount of levels/freedom is dependant on the engineers tuning ability? Ok, I thought, it depends on the car. I didnt understand the tuning ability of the engineer, yet.

Vannipo said:
    versedi said:
    Vannipo said:

The amount of levels/freedom is dependant on the engineers tuning ability? Ok, I thought, it depends on the car. I didnt understand the tuning ability of the engineer, yet.

Chief engineer.
    oh, i guess since dirtfish has gravel and tarmac, the default "chief engineer setup recommendation" setup could be for mixed surface, and the default for say wales and michigan is different baseline. if someone could check the values in the setups in dirft fish vs a rally stage that would be great. if the baseline is not suitable for say wales the different values could explain how the car behaves differently with a setup made in a different location. i know in dirt rally every location had bit different default setup to suit the location.
    gheeD said:
    oh, i guess since dirtfish has gravel and tarmac, the default "chief engineer setup recommendation" setup could be for mixed surface, and the default for say wales and michigan is different baseline. if someone could check the values in the setups in dirft fish vs a rally stage that would be great. if the baseline is not suitable for say wales the different values could explain how the car behaves differently with a setup made in a different location. i know in dirt rally every location had bit different default setup to suit the location.

It's a bit strange that there is a mixed surface setup tab as the only place outside RX that has mixed surface is the Dirtfish school.

Hopefully it's a tab for future content. I think a mixed gravel/tarmac rally would feel excellent. Hooning around on tarmac with gravel tires is great fun!

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

Isn't "chief engineer setup recommendation" just a default setup? I've never used it, assumed it won't change anything comparing to the Default.
    versedi said:
    Isn't "chief engineer setup recommendation" just a default setup? I've never used it, assumed it won't change anything comparing to the Default.
    Yes it is the default setup. But what i tried to get at with saying that was the chief engineer recommends different default setups for different locations. there isnt one singular setup that you use as default for every location