Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

My "little" F1 2017 Rant (E3) - Ingame presentation is lacking big time.....

LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Unleaded
Wow, once again no official replica of the original HUD / Camera, no helmet cam, no leg protection, no official sponsoring, no ers simulation, not good enough improvements in audiovisuals..... gonna buy it second hand, not giving my money directly to Codemasters this year.

8 years of development yet they still can't get it right?!

Ridiculous.

*these are just the tip of the iceberg, there's much more in Codies F1 series that still needs improving!

--------------------

Mates i agree it's still "work in progress", but we've seen their "work" for over 8 years and they haven't made any big revolutionary improvements yet unfortunately.

Here are my vague points i posted earlier explained in detail for those who might try to come up with excuses and or want a little bit of context.

--------------------

*Official HUD / Camera:*

Of course it will work, haven't you ever played RFactor 2 / Assetto Corsa with mods to get the official HUD  and the official TV Cam?

It looks absolutely stunning and is a big bonus for immersion and realism.

And no, Codemasters is not forced to use their "interpretation" of these two very important factors by proxy, as Liberty Media themselves have repeatedly stated that they want to open up all media, the gaming branche included, so that more people can enjoy and find the beauty of F1, so there's no excuses from anyone to be made, especially as 20 years ago much much smaller gamestudios with very small budgets and terrible hardware were able to replicate the real life feeling in their games, yet Codies can't?

*Helmet Cam:*

No, you have no idea, Project Cars / the newest Dirt games have got the helmet cam in them and it makes the feeling of realism much more valuable, VR isn't necessarily needed to properly use it and the amount of programming to implement it is very easy, yet we never got it in Codies F1 series as of now?

*Leg Protection:*

Is the padding around the drivers legs used for safety in the drivers cockpit, of course this is just a minor problem but a purist wants it all, if NBA 2K / FIFA / NHL / NASCAR / Project Cars can get their presentation right in order to maximize realism with every single little detail, Codemasters can do it as well, can't they?!

It's the little things that make a game more realistic!

*Official Sponsorship:*

Bull - F(iretr)ucking - Sh(i)yt, just take a look at the NASCAR game series and you will know that this apologetic statement of many "fanboys" of Codemasters is nothing more than a petty excuse for Codies "incompetence" to make their iteration of F1 game as realistic as possible, it's very likely more a reason of cutting costs to a minimum rather than actual interests in giving us a realistic representation of F1, which in itself is just pathetic especially as many F1 games of the 90's / early 2000's had everything in them (with low budgets and horrible hardware) making the modern Codies F1 series look very pale in contrast.

*ERS simulation:*

It's a vital part of the modern V6 hybrid engines, and the drivers have to manage it during the whole race as much as possible to have an edge over their competitors, so yes of course it should be implemented in the officially licenced F1 game shouldn't it?!

Anything garage based to make setups more complex is exactly the missing part of the whole Codies F1 series, setups and component management is crucial to make any racing game worthwile, yet here we are going the arcady casual route....

*Improvements in audiovisuals:*

It's the third entry of the "next gen" F1 game series by Codies, yet F1 2017 doesn't have any "huge" improvements in both Audio and Visual fidelity / quality?!

Audio: 
should be actual real life onboard dyno recordings to replicate the TV onboard sounds as well as the cockpit sounds respectively, small game studios in the past were able to do that, yet Codies can't?!

--------------------

For more info on audio just make your research on "Raceroom" and get blown away by quality, here's alink to their newest entry:

Here's a link to the onboard and offboard real life sound footage as well:

--------------------

Visuals: 
should be much more defined and crisp and become more like Project Cars / Forza etc.

Not to mention that the sense of speed should be much higher and shaky / spray in rainy weather conditions should be more dense to drastically decrease visibility / dirt should randomly stick on the cam view if driving behind another car or on grass or gravel / sparks should be more defined and thicker / lighting should be designed as close to real life as possible especially on nightlight tracks etc. the list goes on....

--------------------

I'm not even going to start talking about the physics / handling / career mode / time trial / multiplayer etc., i don't want to write a novel!

--------------------

My critique is very simple, this is a *_"officially licenced F1 product"_* by Codemasters, therefore everything seen in real life should be implemented as close as possible as a default, but over 8 years they haven't been able to do it once so far???

Absolutely ridiculous.

--------------------

I want this game to be good or rather to be the best F1 simcade ever made, as i am a massive F1 / Motorsports / Codemasters fanboy, but this repetitive annual releasing of uncreative recycled games is just way too "anti-consumer" to the point that people need to speak with their wallets instead of enabling these cancerous practices done by many big video game companies these days!!!

It's time to stop.

--------------------

*Gamemodes still need to be presented and confirmed by Codemasters, so we can't form any opinion on those as of now, but from what we can see it seems like those will be simply past gamemodes slightly improved and modified once again, just the way Codies has handled their games since F1 2010 came out, lazy.

--------------------

What are your opinions on Codemasters F1 series? Yay or Nay???

Post edited by LilBrown47 on
Tagged:

Comments

• kingmjjkingmjj Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    Think you're asking a bit much lol. ERS simulation is the only thing I agree with. You can't expect Liberty Media to influence the game when the games been in development longer than they've been in power. Wait till 2018 lol
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Unleaded
    kingmjj said:
    Think you're asking a bit much lol. ERS simulation is the only thing I agree with. You can't expect Liberty Media to influence the game when the games been in development longer than they've been in power. Wait till 2018 lol
    True mate you are right 2018 is a more realistic target to get these things done, but keep in mind that smaller studios were able to do it back in the days with less employees / smaller budgets / horrendous hardware, it was the cloudy days where Bernie and his hoodlums were the ones governing F1 as well and 8 years of development is a long long time.....
  • roberto28roberto28 Member Co-Driver
    edited June 16
    I agree with most of your comments including the official HUD and ERS, both are vital parts of formula one. The official game Should be as close to Real F1, at least for the features and regulation. Dont really care about damage model or sponsors. Features like Classic cars is just a "bonus", just for fun but not essential. First they have to fix features and if there is money and time left they could include "extra" features such as alternative tracks, or Classic cars. First things first! 
    Post edited by roberto28 on
    roberto28 said:
    I agree with most of your comments including the official HUD and ERS, both are vital parts of formula one. The official game Should be as close to Real F1, at least for the features and regulation. Dont really care about damage model or sponsors. Features like Classic cars is just a "bonus", not a let feature that Should be in a F1 game. First they have to fix features and if there is money and time left they could include "extra" features such as alternative tracks, or Classic cars. First things first! 
    Exactly mate i agree with you, first things first is the right motto, classic cars are just gimmicks and don't really help improving the core game itself, yes fun and nice to have but still mere gimmicks, yet F1 2017 seems to be meticulously drafted around that premise of gimmicks instead, truly sad indeed.....
  • auroborosauroboros Member Unleaded
    Very well thought out post and I appreciated it greatly.
    auroboros said:
    Very well thought out post and I appreciated it greatly.
    Thanks mate, i just wanted to get a taste of the general feeling of all of our fella community members about Codies F1 series, as the games "improvements" in the last 8 years are pretty small unfortunately.

It's always very interesting to debate with a whole lot of different people and their differing opinions!

• haydn23haydn23 Member Petrol Head
    Usually u can't see knee protection aswell as u don't know that isn't in the game. Like rly? I agree with the ers thing, official hud is a controversial and very hard one to actually get right cause how are they gonna do the mfd with the actual f1 hud, I have an idea and I think my idea is quite cool but they won't do it and it wouldn't look very neat. However tables and so on yes I agree. Graphics very good point it doesn't look anywhere near as good as pcars and forza especially but ofc forza is done in-coalition with Microsoft studios so they have got that going for them. 
    Again I have no clue what your on about with official sponsorship. If ur on about FIA licensing, rly srlsy mate? FOM are stricter than idk what I can't actly find something stricter. Go and upload 20 seconds of pure footage to you tube of onboard action aswell with no commentary. Within 24 hours that video will be down never to see again.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
    haydn23 said:
    Usually u can't see knee protection aswell as u don't know that isn't in the game. Like rly? I agree with the ers thing, official hud is a controversial and very hard one to actually get right cause how are they gonna do the mfd with the actual f1 hud, I have an idea and I think my idea is quite cool but they won't do it and it wouldn't look very neat. However tables and so on yes I agree. Graphics very good point it doesn't look anywhere near as good as pcars and forza especially but ofc forza is done in-coalition with Microsoft studios so they have got that going for them. 
    Again I have no clue what your on about with official sponsorship. If ur on about FIA licensing, rly srlsy mate? FOM are stricter than idk what I can't actly find something stricter. Go and upload 20 seconds of pure footage to you tube of onboard action aswell with no commentary. Within 24 hours that video will be down never to see again.

I agree with some of your content mate you do make lots of sense for sure, but we can't ignore that Codies did fail to address these points for 8 years straight, which is more than questionable if you ask anyone who is going to pay 45 - 75 bucks on any product period, and progress should always be the number one focus on any topic especially if money is involved.

So expecting the best isn't too far fetched!

--------------------

If you watch real life onboard footages there is always a leg protection clearly visible around the drivers legs.

The MFD can get a similar design and color tone as the official HUD and is actually pretty easy to implement in my honest opinion.

Official sponsorship is everything revolving around the sports of F1 and starts from the livery to every single boards and advertisement on track but alcohol and tobacco sponsors aren't showcased / depicted in the officially licenced game, yet the NASCAR game series has done it whilst maintaining the PEGI 3 rating 

Yeah the fellas of FOM are pretty harsh to people who do not own the rights to use F1 related material, but Codemasters has been "officially licenced" ages ago, so it's a completely different scenario.
    edited June 16
    kingmjj said:
    True mate you are right 2018 is a more realistic target to get these things done, but keep in mind that smaller studios were able to do it back in the days with less employees / smaller budgets / horrendous hardware, it was the cloudy days where Bernie and his hoodlums were the ones governing F1 as well and 8 years of development is a long long time.....
    Nah mate in 2018 they take everything out of the game and add it back in in 2019 so they can call it "new features" same with classic cars, career, the safety car, r&d etc. :smile:
    Hahaha they have clearly learned from them big boys in the gaming industry! ;)

Gruß aus Deutschland! 
  • Naeemali007Naeemali007 Member Wheel Nut
    Helmet cam is a must, I mean , even Grand Prix 4 had it and that was years ago......  Why Why they don't listen to us... and only youtubers.
    Helmet cam is a must, I mean , even Grand Prix 4 had it and that was years ago......  Why Why they don't listen to us... and only youtubers.
    Hahaha true that mate, they could easily create large polls with the most popular features that the community wants to have in the game, so that people could vote themselves whether or not to implement certain features into the F1 series, the Official HUD for instance probably would be voted for like hell and become part of F1 2018 in this hypothetical scenario easily.

But it's always been only thoughtful wishes of the community and no actual improvement over the last 8 years....
  • roberto28roberto28 Member Co-Driver
    Exactly they do listen to Tiametmarduk, Aarava and XMattyG, the famous YouTubers. No doupt Classic cars was their Idea. 

The HUD is really populair among us, the community, as the threads has been read by 10 K people at the moment. 

Ridiculous how codies presented their game at last E3. That Guy only talked about Classic cars and alternative circuits. 
  • Eddy567Eddy567 Member Unleaded
    project cars has real drivers working on the game... the best we get is Greco going to watch the drivers do laps. And they put a realism stamp in the game. baffles me because any driver will tell you best way to notice the way a car handles is by getting in and also using you're ass...  what a joke...and they name youtubers testers who have never driven an f1 car a day in there life.
    Eddy567 said:
    project cars has real drivers working on the game... the best we get is Greco going to watch the drivers do laps. And they put a realism stamp in the game. baffles me because any driver will tell you best way to notice the way a car handles is by getting in and also using you're ass...  what a joke...and they name youtubers testers who have never driven an f1 car a day in there life.
    lol, but, but don't forget.... it's the official f1 game....!!!!!!!

;)
  • RobinfischerRobinfischer Member New Car Smell
    Eddy567 said:
    Its all about money. Only inviting youtubers to promote the game to their viewers 
  • JoeyGTX650JoeyGTX650 Member Unleaded
    Leg protection is a must, you can see it very good on the Red Bull onboards IRL, i would love to see it in game to make it a bit more realistic, and i dont think its that hard to recreate ingame!
    Cannot wait for F1 2017
  • jennyannemjennyannem Member, Codemasters Community Manager
    edited June 16
    Hi,

Firstly, I'd just like to add that F1 2017 is still a work in progress, and as such what you're seeing isn't the final game. 

We'll be releasing a blog about how the audio team records cars, but it's safe to say they were very present at pre-season testing in Barcelona (as well as other events ;) ), working with the teams to record the sound they need, whether that's trackside, or getting the equipment on the car itself. They've been listening to your feedback and trying to get the best sound they can for this year - if there's anything that doesn't sound quite right, they'll be happy to hear what you think needs tweaking :). Just let us know and the audio team will have a look at it!

We've taken on board a lot of your feedback from last year with F1 2017. I remember a thread talking about research and development only taking two seasons to complete. We heard you, and we've completely changed it. Think 'research and development tree'. I've seen it. It's huge!

We make every effort to take on board what you want - our surveys have helped paint a picture of what you want going forwards, it's the reason we're bringing in community members (some of which would definitely object to being called YouTubers!) to look at the game earlier than we've ever done before, and it's the reason that we're currently undertaking the biggest beta programme we've ever attempted.

We haven't announced everything of F1 2017 yet ;)
  • Eddy567Eddy567 Member Unleaded
    Hi,

Firstly, I'd just like to add that F1 2017 is still a work in progress, and as such what you're seeing isn't the final game. 

We'll be releasing a blog about how the audio team records cars, but it's safe to say they were very present at pre-season testing in Barcelona (as well as other events ;) ), working with the teams to record the sound they need, whether that's trackside, or getting the equipment on the car itself. They've been listening to your feedback and trying to get the best sound they can for this year - if there's anything that doesn't sound quite right, they'll be happy to hear what you think needs tweaking :). Just let us know and the audio team will have a look at it!

We've taken on board a lot of your feedback from last year with F1 2017. I remember a thread talking about research and development only taking two seasons to complete. We heard you, and we've completely changed it. Think 'research and development tree'. I've seen it. It's huge!

We make every effort to take on board what you want - our surveys have helped paint a picture of what you want going forwards, it's the reason we're bringing in community members (some of which would definitely object to being called YouTubers!) to look at the game earlier than we've ever done before, and it's the reason that we're currently undertaking the biggest beta programme we've ever attempted.

We haven't announced everything of F1 2017 yet ;)
    i see lots of cranes... i know its too late for a hub change so i hope those cranes are functional. I will settle for that. Like the pit boards.