Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt 4 minimum PC specs: CPU speed

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums, but I am big fan of the Colin McRae and Dirt games (owning the very first Colin McRae Rally, CMR2.0, CMR 2005 and Dirt Rally) and I have been following the Dirty Gossip thread for quite some time now. Since my laptop is already a few years old, I am not too confident that I will be able to run Dirt 4. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GT 720M so I am not too worried about that. My CPU however is an Intel Core i5-3230M @ 2.60Ghz. I tried finding out whether this is enough by consulting the minimum specs but it only states AMD FX Series or Intel Core i3 Series (no CPU speed is mentioned). Would anyone be able to help me out?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this matter has already been clarified.

Comments

• heavybootsheavyboots Member New Car Smell
    edited June 16
    Judging by my experience playing Dirt Rally on a 2.6ghz i7/GT 750m 2gb, I would say it may be playable on lowest settings but it will be painful.  In Dirt Rally, I was getting about 30fps average and it would drop into the 20's on a couple hairpins in Monaco or if I had to run with the headlights on.

I haven't even tried to install Dirt 4 on the laptop yet though so I can't say for certain.
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    edited June 16
    Judging by my experience playing Dirt Rally on a 2.6ghz i7/GT 750m 2gb, I would say it may be playable on lowest settings but it will be painful.  In Dirt Rally, I was getting about 30fps average and it would drop into the 20's on a couple hairpins in Monaco or if I had to run with the headlights on.

I haven't even tried to install Dirt 4 on the laptop yet though so I can't say for certain.
    Here you're wrong my friend.

IMHO DiRT4 has really low requirements for the lowest settings - but don't expect anything nice. No driver, no crowds, etc. 

The trees which were the most issue in Monaco and Wales forest are fixed now, on lowest graphic settings they're turned into 2D textures. 
  • dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    I have an i5-4570S @ 2.9 GHz, which isn't too far off OP's CPU, and a GT 750M/1 GB, and Dirt 4 runs well enough. The video card and memory are the biggest bottlenecks.

In Dirt 4, I get 30-34 fps on a mix of high/medium/low at 1600x900 and 2xMSAA. When it rains I have to drop it to 1366x768 to get at least 30 fps.

In Dirt Rally, I average 45 fps (anywhere from 30-60 depending) on a mix of high/medium/low at 1366x768 and CMAA.

@heavyboots, I think I know the framerate-killing corners in Monte Carlo you're talking about. They're why I have trees set to ultra low.
    dwkGravey said:
    I have an i5-4570S @ 2.9 GHz, which isn't too far off OP's CPU, and a GT 750M/1 GB, and Dirt 4 runs well enough. The video card and memory are the biggest bottlenecks.

In Dirt 4, I get 30-34 fps on a mix of high/medium/low at 1600x900 and 2xMSAA. When it rains I have to drop it to 1366x768 to get at least 30 fps.

In Dirt Rally, I average 45 fps (anywhere from 30-60 depending) on a mix of high/medium/low at 1366x768 and CMAA.

@heavyboots, I think I know the framerate-killing corners in Monte Carlo you're talking about. They're why I have trees set to ultra low.
    Change MSAA to CMAA (Codemasters thing) and see the difference.

Also what are you running on Crowds, Mirror, Skidmarks? 
  • dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    versedi said:
    dwkGravey said:

Change MSAA to CMAA (Codemasters thing) and see the difference.

Also what are you running on Crowds, Mirror, Skidmarks? 
    I found CMAA to be jaggier than MSAA in Dirt 4, and the difference was only 1-2 fps. I'll try CMAA in the rain though.

Crowds and Mirrors are low, Skidmarks are on.
  • Snaky115Snaky115 Member Co-Driver
    mm, OP's i5 3230M is a dual core, this will be tricky. Gravey struggled with an actual 4 core, according to his post and he had a noticeably better GPU to boot.

I don't have high hopes for above 720p gaming on low.
    FX-8350, 16GB, RX480 8GB Red Devil
    And a KEYBOARD! #KeyBro (Gamer mode until Sim improves)
    #Latvia
  • SlowEddySlowEddy Member New Car Smell
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I will wait buying the game until the grip issues are sorted out.
  • Anto27Anto27 Member New Car Smell
    SlowEddy said:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I will wait buying the game until the grip issues are sorted out.
    Hi guys,anybodey can help me....I've installed the DIRT 4. but it can not run.after I installed it, click the icon... nothing happened. My PC Spec: I7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram (I used my PC to do photo and video editing), 1gb HD graphic 3000. please...need help...

Anto27 said:
    SlowEddy said:o
    Hi guys,anybodey can help me....I've installed the DIRT 4. but it can not run.after I installed it, click the icon... nothing happened. My PC Spec: I7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram (I used my PC to do photo and video editing), 1gb HD graphic 3000. please...need help...

You dont meet minimum system requirements. You need a dedicated graphics card, yours integrated.