Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DIRT 4 rubbish compared to DIRT RALLY

I got both of these games within 2 weeks of each other on the ps4. I got my wheel out and dirt 4 is for kids and dirt rally beats it in every department hands down. You just cannot beat dirt rally! Its got everything!. The graphics are better with much more surfaces and different texture types, the rain looks better, the cars look more real, the crowds are bigger, the snow looks better, the tracks are hand done and not generic, the feeling of rallying and actually thinking you are on a real rally on dirt rally, is completely unrivalled, it sounds better, has gravel hitting the car more, better water splashes, more detail and marshals, better handling, better physics, bigger lifespan which has a unbeatable atmosphere. I cannot begin to think why codemasters didnt make dirt rally expansions or dirt rally 2, before dirt 4, because dirt 4 just cannot compare to real rallying on dirt rally, its edge of the seat stuff and dirt 4 has none of it. I traded in dirt 4 the next day and kept dirt rally, and i am by no means an expert at it yet, but any fool can see its a STAR, whereas dirt 4 is the flop.

Comments

• dsiOnedsiOne Member New Car Smell
    The only thing DR has on D4 is those gorgeous dynamic shadows. I think the PBR (or might-as-well-be-PBR) in D4 makes up for it though, any stage in any state of wetness is just the most amazing looking track I've ever seen in a game.
  • hoonheadhoonhead Member Co-Driver
    I still think DiRT2 was the best game, then DiRT3. DiRT Rally/DiRT4 get a third place, they both are good but just not as good as DiRT2 and DiRT3. Keep in mind DiRT2 is from 2009 and the first (imo) in the DiRT series that looked and felt good.
  • WeamDreaverWeamDreaver Member Pit Crew
    edited June 19
    I have yet to see a screenshot comparison with comparable location, time/weather and car that points to what exactly makes DR looking superior to D4. (besides the missing dynamic shadows at night in D4)
  • MalyngoMalyngo Member Unleaded
    For me, Dirt 4 is the better game. More approachable, better Career mode and more to do (although I could skip on Landrush. Just sat in one of those buggies for one practice session and then decided to rather do something else)

I also like the feel on tarmac much better than what it was on Dirt Rally. Otherwise, on gravel it feels very similar, with a bit of an edge for me in Dirt 4 (but that might also be that I chose the middle difficulty which has some assists on, where on Dort Rally, I disabled all assists. Well, what can I say? I am a crappy driver!).
  • dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    JZStudios said:
    I still just love how throughout DR's lifespan everyone gave it flak for being funky (rightly so) and got all upset that it wasn't sim enough or whatever, but now apparently after making no changes whatsoever it's the pinnacle.
    QFT :lol:

Dirt 4 lets me put my name, flag, and number on the car, and I can drive to the marshal at time control. GOTY.
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    edited June 20
    dwkGravey said:
    JZStudios said:
    I still just love how throughout DR's lifespan everyone gave it flak for being funky (rightly so) and got all upset that it wasn't sim enough or whatever, but now apparently after making no changes whatsoever it's the pinnacle.
    QFT :lol:

Dirt 4 lets me put my name, flag, and number on the car, and I can drive to the marshal at time control. GOTY.
    Well said @JZStudios, well said. 

@dwkGravey not like that when you go through DR suggestion box history these are 65% of suggestions....but I've heard Codies are not listetning to feedback.  /s
  • Jack4688Jack4688 Member New Car Smell
    JZStudios said:
    I've done a few (Not great) comparisons, and yeah D4 is definitely miles better. I really don't understand why people say it looks worse, especially the rain! LOL :D
    The rain in DR sucks.

Also, the physics in DR are ALL KINDS of funky. I still just love how throughout DR's lifespan everyone gave it flak for being funky (rightly so) and got all upset that it wasn't sim enough or whatever, but now apparently after making no changes whatsoever it's the pinnacle. It's great.
    I always quite liked the way cars handled in Dirt Rally - difficult, but worth trying to master. But the weather effects are definitely an improvement on Dirt 4.

You know its odd, when i got dirt rally the handling was way to sim for me but all i did was turn on all assists and calibrate my wheel and the handling is much much better and more stable. I dont think dirt 4 has too bad handling and i am not one for sim extreme handling, but my point is the visuals of dirt rally and country settings are unbeatable. What i mean by that is its truly believeable in dirt rally that you are rallying in a real rally in rteal countries, whilst dirt 4 isnt. Surely thats what rallying is all about, atmosphere and reality and dirt rally beats dirt 4 hands down. On the other hand if you dont like real rallying too much and more of a generic track, arcade experience then dirt 4 may get you. I just cannot get over that feeling when your driving the subaru in that gorgeous blue livery, screaming down wales through water splashes, huge crowds watching you, not able to know if you will mess the stage up in the pouring rain or not, and how that is an amazing feeling to have. I feel let down by dirt 4 and thats why i got rid the next day. Dirt rally will be played for years to come, but will dirt 4? But as i said, each to there own. The biggest problem codies made was genric tracks on the editor and not hand made, was the biggest flaw for me as i got bored so fast. Luckily i was able to get my money back and keep dirt rally.
    As good as Dirt 4 is in all aspects that is the reason I've sold my copy - I'd much prefer driving on real stages (as per racing games where genuine Grand Prix tracks or slightly obscure circuits a la Project Cars are a big attraction to playing these games) with genuine character multiple times rather than something where you're always aware of the same corners coming up regularly. But having just those two options an unlikely scenario - we're likely to see an improvement on Your Stage over the years that will address the current flaws, but right now it's not for me.
  • Jack4688Jack4688 Member New Car Smell
    JZStudios said:
    True, but difficult ≠ realistic. Yeah, sure it's fun, but physics were still funky. Cars shouldn't curve through the air and a pile of mud/loose rocks and dirt shouldn't pop tires and make your car do a full frontflip before driving off. Not to mention the completely different physics/ffb for each discipline. D4 doesn't have those problems.

So, again our irritation is that there's now like 4 or 5 people that don't own the game still cruising the forum talking about how terrible it is. Sure you guys can be disappointed, but at the point where I've returned a game and gotten my money back, that's the exact point where I forget about that game.
    The your stage is a bit repetitive for including the same corners 2 or 3 times in a rally... but if you can memorize those I just can't figure how you can't memorize DRs... sure, the stages are better made, but that distinctness also makes them memorable. Not to mention there's really only two stages per location, and most people stick to two or three locations since the others just aren't very good or have terrible physics.
    I just don't get it, after months of not playing DR, with a low total hours played, I can still go in and play through Greece from memory. I've only got like 70 hours in the game.
    By no means am I saying Dirt Rally was a sim because if how difficult I found it, but my point was I just liked the difficulty of it and the challenge of each car's handling nuances.

I think there's a difference between people who no longer own the game and are trashing it on these forums and people who no longer own the game but hope to provide constructive feedback. Whether someone still had the game in their possession when they voice an opinion is neither here nor there.

Also I'm not aware of anyone stating that the Dirt Rally stages are unmemorisable and that the Your Stage creations are, rather some people are expressing frustration that a string of corners appear often in one stage. It's simply a preference for either a different total route from point A to point B, when comparing stage A to stage B, or for stages that give a perception of greater variety between point A to point B - but it's all relative to each gamer.
  • spothedogspothedog Member Unleaded
    I like both of them. I put DR in slot last night and took the Alpine down the twisty hairpins in Greece. Man was that fun . Before that I finished the Monthly event in D4. Honestly if I start noticing the same corner too many times I just put the fog on, that changes everything  :) 
    Xbox GT RECAR DEEP5 
    Xbox one Thrustmaster TX, T3PA-PRO & TH8A on a homemade wooden frame
  • battfinkzbattfinkz Member Wheel Nut
    edited June 21
    I love the fact they're totally different. They're both tremendous games and i feel quite privileged to have two very good titles to swap between, we didnt have a single decent rally title on this gen of console untill SLRE came out so it was a long wait