Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DIRT 4 rubbish compared to DIRT RALLY

Comments

• Martinio32Martinio32 Member New Car Smell
    edited June 2017
    Dirt 4 big title one big crash especially on Xbox One and PC platforms... on XB1 you mast pay for not finished with technical problems game like low FPS, water effects, small cars any from the modern WRC, stage creator is the best because you can generate a thousand times with different options your stage and you will be get same looking corners, hills, gates just like copy and paste low quality job. Physics are not great like in Dirt Rally behind on the corner coming WRC 7 and Project Cars 2 with RX and looks fantastic so how you can solve this Codemasters when you already had a sell broken game who destroy rallying fun and you ask for this 40£. On my opinion this game is a joke. I Don't care about many new age kids here who like arcade rally without real physics. For me only properly sim just the same how seriously and challenging this rally sport is. This is my opinion and coming from the my long experience withe the rally last 20 years.
    Post edited by Martinio32 on
  • Martinio32Martinio32 Member New Car Smell
    JZStudios said:
    True, but difficult ≠ realistic. Yeah, sure it's fun, but physics were still funky. Cars shouldn't curve through the air and a pile of mud/loose rocks and dirt shouldn't pop tires and make your car do a full frontflip before driving off. Not to mention the completely different physics/ffb for each discipline. D4 doesn't have those problems.

So, again our irritation is that there's now like 4 or 5 people that don't own the game still cruising the forum talking about how terrible it is. Sure you guys can be disappointed, but at the point where I've returned a game and gotten my money back, that's the exact point where I forget about that game.
    The your stage is a bit repetitive for including the same corners 2 or 3 times in a rally... but if you can memorize those I just can't figure how you can't memorize DRs... sure, the stages are better made, but that distinctness also makes them memorable. Not to mention there's really only two stages per location, and most people stick to two or three locations since the others just aren't very good or have terrible physics.
    I just don't get it, after months of not playing DR, with a low total hours played, I can still go in and play through Greece from memory. I've only got like 70 hours in the game.
    Memorable stages in DR or not but it's giving much much more fun and fantastic technically corners, jumps, scenery, track realistic not like in Dirt 4 where yoy feel like in world of creation copy and paste it's tragedy crushed, jumps, coners totally low quality job. I can drive 100 times any stage in DR and always give me a smile on my face but in Dirt 4 I don't find any WOW. I stay with rallying in games and my private life form the early 90s when many of the gamers here had a couple years old and 3 games ColinMc Rae Rally 97, RBR and Dirt Rally and over. Dirt 4 should be easy pure arcade category easy fast cheap game for... 20£
  • McNastysRevengeMcNastysRevenge Member New Car Smell
     Dirt 4 is for the average driver! Dirt rally is for the more advanced driver! I'll guarantee they sell more dirt 4 copies than Dirt rally! 
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Champion
    Jack4688 said:
    JZStudios said:
    True, but difficult ≠ realistic. Yeah, sure it's fun, but physics were still funky. Cars shouldn't curve through the air and a pile of mud/loose rocks and dirt shouldn't pop tires and make your car do a full frontflip before driving off. Not to mention the completely different physics/ffb for each discipline. D4 doesn't have those problems.

So, again our irritation is that there's now like 4 or 5 people that don't own the game still cruising the forum talking about how terrible it is. Sure you guys can be disappointed, but at the point where I've returned a game and gotten my money back, that's the exact point where I forget about that game.
    The your stage is a bit repetitive for including the same corners 2 or 3 times in a rally... but if you can memorize those I just can't figure how you can't memorize DRs... sure, the stages are better made, but that distinctness also makes them memorable. Not to mention there's really only two stages per location, and most people stick to two or three locations since the others just aren't very good or have terrible physics.
    I just don't get it, after months of not playing DR, with a low total hours played, I can still go in and play through Greece from memory. I've only got like 70 hours in the game.
    By no means am I saying Dirt Rally was a sim because if how difficult I found it, but my point was I just liked the difficulty of it and the challenge of each car's handling nuances.

I think there's a difference between people who no longer own the game and are trashing it on these forums and people who no longer own the game but hope to provide constructive feedback. Whether someone still had the game in their possession when they voice an opinion is neither here nor there.

Also I'm not aware of anyone stating that the Dirt Rally stages are unmemorisable and that the Your Stage creations are, rather some people are expressing frustration that a string of corners appear often in one stage. It's simply a preference for either a different total route from point A to point B, when comparing stage A to stage B, or for stages that give a perception of greater variety between point A to point B - but it's all relative to each gamer.
    Sure, but a lot of the stages in DR run through the same junctions as well. Again, sure, they could just add in some code that prevents your stage from making corners appear twice in a single rally, but if you do more than 2 events (on the longer stages) of DR then your also guaranteed to see the same corners again, but always in the same order. It just doesn't make sense to me. No one even really says that the stage dynamics were better in DR or anything along those lines, just that somehow those same 2 routes are less repeated. You can run the Nurburgring a million times, but it's still always the same track.

I think giving opinions on something you don't own in a thread named (whatever product) is garbage is pretty relevant. It's frankly hard for us to honestly care, much less take it seriously. It's a line of thought I don't understand. It's literally just a thread full of people who don't own it saying how much it sucks. It's not room for improvement or anything useful. It's just fun to come rile em up.
  • cjr3559cjr3559 Member New Car Smell
    New here.  I picked up both games at the same time with little information about them and assumed D4 would be the superior game since it's newer.  I've only started DR and absolutely love it. I'm sure I'll enjoy D4 when I get around to it, but how about if CM develops a sequel to DR?  Like DR2?  
    PSN: cjr3559
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Team Principal
    cjr3559 said:
    New here.  I picked up both games at the same time with little information about them and assumed D4 would be the superior game since it's newer.  I've only started DR and absolutely love it. I'm sure I'll enjoy D4 when I get around to it, but how about if CM develops a sequel to DR?  Like DR2?  
    I don't hate D4 but I would have been completly fine with Dirt Rally DLC instead 
    They released all the DLC when it was in Early access.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    cjr3559 said:
    I don't hate D4 but I would have been completly fine with Dirt Rally DLC instead 
    I'm not sure you know how Early Access works :D (that wasn't DLC)
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | Gigabyte GTX650Ti Boost | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport | F1 2015
  • caerphotocaerphoto Member Wheel Nut
    Didzis said:
    cjr3559 said:
    It was additional content that you downloaded after the initial release. It's literally the definition of DLC :D
  • thecraicbearthecraicbear Member Champion
    caerphoto said:
    Didzis said:
    cjr3559 said:
    It was additional content that you downloaded after the initial release. It's literally the definition of DLC :D
    But things getting added to an unfinished game (Early Access) isn't, by gaming definition, downloadable content. If you want to be picky, then yes, it's literally DLC, but in gaming speak it is not. 

Interviewer:
    "In more than three words, can you sum up your day for me today?"
    Grönholm: "Not very good... today."

As the wise man Bitto69 once said, "laughter and free :)"

• mesamesa Member Co-Driver
    edited June 2017
    Dirt 4 is a(n average car)game, while Dirt Rally is a simulator.

Except sound, and weather effect Dirt 4 is worse in all apsects.
    Codies never told us that we will not get any real rally stage anymore, just generated too simple corner-after-corner stages way from reality.
    What we hated in all WRC games? those fantasy tracks with their corner-after-corner stages
    I was afraid, that we will get all of DR stages -all of them based on real stages- and a bonus which called "Your stage", but all stages generated, boring ones.
    You know every corner after an hour, nothing new.
    Your stage variation lenght, complexity and weather is too few variation to make whole different tracks
    All the stages are boring, all of them based on one receipt: "hill at the one side, scarp at the opposite side (even guard rail, fence)" and that's all ! You never cross a crossroads, just turn into another. everything seems unnatural.

The trees looks weird with just about 3 differents kind of them for a stage. Grass is the worst 2D modell for a decade in a car game. Compare to the Dirt Rally's  10 or more grass modell and their ellaborations... D4 is like a mobile game compare to DR

Car handlings not bad as all...  but no speed sensation, you can't feel the torque of  a car and even switch off all assistance you feel that you don't drive the car, the car drives itself.

There is no Benchmark to test your graphical settings . That is crazy! This game was designed only for consoles where doesn't require a benchmark? You should remember Dirt Rally has this feature

This game is a disappointment for me. There is a lot of potentials but lot of bad implementations too. Like in case of a not finished-yet game. 

Cheat: make a short simple stage with "Your stage" set your opponents to beat them easily and grab the money and buy everything for your carrer's car

Post edited by mesa on

- mesa -

https://www.facebook.com/MesasArtworks
    More liveries / mods of mine at
    http://mesasartworks.hu

Logitech G27 w OMP 350 mm

versedi said:
    mesa said:

Codies never told us that we will not get nay real rally stage anymore, just generated too simple corner-after-corner stages way from reality.

That's a huge lie. They did. Multiple times.

Forget it, because you'll never be able to stop the blind hatred. People just don't read the proverbial box before they buy. 

You quoted a bit about the sounds as well, and that's also a huge lie. D4 sounds are far better, and they have more real-life recordings of cars now 

Interviewer:

• mesamesa Member Co-Driver
    You quoted a bit about the sounds as well, and that's also a huge lie. D4 sounds are far better, and they have more real-life recordings of cars now 
    "Except sound, and weather effect Dirt 4 is worse in all apsects." 

"worse" (..) "Except sound" means sound is better.  Weather effects are way bettter in D4. 

- mesa -

https://www.facebook.com/MesasArtworks
    More liveries / mods of mine at
    http://mesasartworks.hu

Logitech G27 w OMP 350 mm

• madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    versedi said:
    mesa said:

Codies never told us that we will not get nay real rally stage anymore, just generated too simple corner-after-corner stages way from reality.

Forget it, because you'll never be able to stop the blind hatred. People just don't read the proverbial box before they buy. 

I've got to disagree with you there, the sound of the stratos was better in Dirt Rally :smile:
    mesa said:
    "Except sound, and weather effect Dirt 4 is worse in all apsects." 

"worse" (..) "Except sound" means sound is better.  Weather effects are way bettter in D4. 

Even though you wanted to say the opposite, the sentence structure meant that you were saying both things were worse in D4. Miscommunication :] 

Interviewer:

madwak said:
    versedi said:
    mesa said:

I've got to disagree with you there, the sound of the stratos was better in Dirt Rally :smile:
    So you disagree with everything I said based on just 1 car, over numerous other improvements? 

Interviewer:

• JZStudiosJZStudios Member Champion
    caerphoto said:
    Didzis said:
    cjr3559 said:
    But things getting added to an unfinished game (Early Access) isn't, by gaming definition, downloadable content. If you want to be picky, then yes, it's literally DLC, but in gaming speak it is not. 
    If you're going to be picky, every digital game is DLC.
    mesa said:
    Dirt 4 is a(n average car)game, while Dirt Rally is a simulator.

Codies never told us that we will not get any real rally stage anymore, just generated too simple corner-after-corner stages way from reality.
    Dirt Rally is not a simulator, and Dirt 4 is not it's sequel. It's the sequel to Dirt 3.
    And Codies said repeatedly that they were doing Your Stage and weren't doing handmade tracks anymore.
    mesa said:
    What we hated in all WRC games? those fantasy tracks with their corner-after-corner stages
    Aren't most tracks corner after corner? No one complained about the tracks (except for width) in the previous 3 titles. At least D4 doesn't take place on 4 lane highways anymore. And again, with the CM team saying repeatedly they weren't doing real stages due to licensing issues and the repetitiveness it's not like it's an unexpected result.
    mesa said:
    The trees looks weird with just about 3 differents kind of them for a stage. Grass is the worst 2D modell for a decade in a car game. Compare to the Dirt Rally's  10 or more grass modell and their ellaborations... D4 is like a mobile game compare to DR

Car handlings not bad as all...  but no speed sensation, you can't feel the torque of  a car and even switch off all assistance you feel that you don't drive the car, the car drives itself.

There is no Benchmark to test your graphical settings . That is crazy! This game was designed only for consoles where doesn't require a benchmark? You should remember Dirt Rally has this feature
    I don't think that's true... Looking in DR, I mean, maybe there's more types of vegetation, but there's certainly not 3 trees. They're all copy/pasted (instanced technically.) And the trees disappear a few feet off the road in place of other trees that look completely different and thus unrealistic.
    D4 also has a greater draw distance than DR so the world itself feels fuller and there's less pop in. I also don't think the grass is necessarily any better or worse than DR.

I really don't understand the need for "speed sensation" since it's not really a thing that exists.

I don't know why there isn't a benchmark though. It'd be nice, but a lot of games don't and it's by no means a requirement.
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited June 2017

versedi said:
    mesa said:

Maybe not a "lie" - lying is meant to intentionally deceive when the teller knows the truth to be otherwise. Might just be uninformed/misinformed.

A lot of people do not closely follow every forum post, every tweet, every video, every interview, every press release, every review, every article, every teaser, & every rumor related to every game & every gaming company. Many folks are often unaware of a lot of the little bits of info & trivia sprinkled around here & there that collectively create a bigger picture.

Some people's expectations for DiRT 4 might have understandably been influenced by the most recent DiRT game before it - DiRT Rally. Yes, DiRT Rally was not a "numbered" DiRT title, but that's a subtlety (among others) that could be easily & understandably missed by those who don't have the time to keep track of every drip-fed piece of information that trickles out over the months/years leading up to each release.

Maybe we should cut some slack to gamers who take games at face value and buy on faith without spending days/weeks/months/years diligently following & deeply researching every intricate detail of every game they buy. It's not like it's quick & easy to get a clear & accurate idea of what a game will be like before its retail release or even shortly after launch. Most of the info available up-front is speculative, hype, incomplete, and/or "gaming media previews & reviews" from outlets more interested in promotion, view counts, & developer/publisher relationships than providing quality info for discerning buyers.

The period leading up to retail launch & shortly thereafter is when customers have the least information & the most anticipation, stoking the fires of our imaginations and tempting us to fill-in-the-blanks with rose-colored glasses regardless of the many lessons history has repeatedly taught us. Marketers know this & take full advantage of it, and as a consequence, good information isn't always quick & easy to find - which can (& often does) create wildly differing expectations.

Post edited by Operator1 on

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet