Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Career mode F1 2017

coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Petrol Head
The more I'm hearing about this career mode the more I get frustrated.  Let me get this straight, you race for some rich guy who owns 12 classic F1 cars along with the team you signed a contract with and he invites you to race his cars during the course of your career....wth...who came up with this idea? Which team owner owns classic cars from different teams? Hello Codemaster, you basically created a fictious team so why can't we create our own team in your F1 game? DONT BLAME FOM NOW because that excuse has just gone out the window.  The idea how classic cars are implemented into career sounds so absurd.  You're better off locking the classic cars to the teams they belong to.  If you sign a contract for McLaren in 2017 then you can only drive the classic McLaren cars.  Classic cars should have been separate from the career and you should have added more behind the scene items to career like in F1 2010 with interviews and what not. Best yet, let us create our own team to replace Manor's spot. 

Comments

• pijinpijin Member Petrol Head
    I believe FOM contract restrictions on cars only last a set period (2-3 years) after which I believe Codemasters has to go get the licensing directly from the teams and sponsors, not FOM. I believe this is the reason the MP4/4 wasn’t in 2013, since McLaren didn’t want to license Codies to build I. Seems like their new leadership might’ve let them do it.

I bring this up because if all else is the same since the Lib Media switch, thIs game, the “ the official game of the FIA Formula One World Championship”, has to respect the state of play of the championship it represents, so 10 teams, as they are. External events and teams aren’t governed by FOM rules, and neither are the rights to the classic cars, which is why they can play with it.

I absolutely still want to have a custom team career, but until the FOM license terms change, don’t expect it. You’re argument that “there’s fiction, therefore you CAN do what you want” is invalid. By that logic, you could point at a winning McLaren car in career mode and say, “surely that’s fiction, so a custom team should be legal”. Unfortunately, licensing and contracts don’t work that way.
  • BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Petrol Head
    I don't think the idea of the rich guy is stupid. It sounds rather fun. I always felt the classic cars in 2013 were just tacked on and gave the feeling of a second game which did not feel worked out and polished. This idea of the rich guy makes it feel more like one game. Still have to see how they executed it but for now it feels right. A bit like Alonso's Indy 500 excursion  ;)
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Actually the guy who does the classic car stuff is independent of your team he doesn't work for the same team you do. That's my understanding anyway the contract you sign is just for the 2017 season. It's more your making a guest appearance in a o0ne off event like the Goodwood festival of spe3ed or whatever and you get to drive that car during it. It's more to do with profile management and promoting yourself within the field. At least based on what Lee said that's what it sounds like.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

pijin said:
    I believe FOM contract restrictions on cars only last a set period (2-3 years) after which I believe Codemasters has to go get the licensing directly from the teams and sponsors, not FOM. I believe this is the reason the MP4/4 wasn’t in 2013, since McLaren didn’t want to license Codies to build I. Seems like their new leadership might’ve let them do it.

I bring this up because if all else is the same since the Lib Media switch, thIs game, the “ the official game of the FIA Formula One World Championship”, has to respect the state of play of the championship it represents, so 10 teams, as they are. External events and teams aren’t governed by FOM rules, and neither are the rights to the classic cars, which is why they can play with it.

I absolutely still want to have a custom team career, but until the FOM license terms change, don’t expect it. You’re argument that “there’s fiction, therefore you CAN do what you want” is invalid. By that logic, you could point at a winning McLaren car in career mode and say, “surely that’s fiction, so a custom team should be legal”. Unfortunately, licensing and contracts don’t work that way.

yeah I think the FOM contract only covers that season (in this case 2017.) CM are allowed to add extra bits to their game if they want but they have to pay extra and convince the people that have the rights to use them to let them use these items as they have to be separately licensed. This is not done through FOM but via the teams themselves I think. It's not they can't use anything outside of that it's more they have to have to pay those that have the rights to use them and it's not always easy or cheap to accomplish

• Sector4Sector4 Member Pit Crew
    pijin said:

Wrong. The old McLarens (and Senna) were licensed to other games like Reiza's Ayrton Senna game that never came out and Gran Turismo. 
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Custom team would be so much fun :(

You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
    Sector4 said:
    pijin said:

Wrong. The old McLarens (and Senna) were licensed to other games like Reiza's Ayrton Senna game that never came out and Gran Turismo. 
    How does that make me wrong? They still didn't let Codemasters include it... Obviously Hakkinen and Senna's 90's and 80's cars, respectively, are two of the most famous cars of their periods, so I guarantee you that Codemasters didn't make the decision not to include them. Maybe it's not the new leadership, but Gran Turismo (and Forza, which also had it) can afford a lot more than Codies, and Ron Dennis was famous for not lowering McLaren's rate card. Codemasters probably couldn't justify the potential sales improvement for the amount McLaren probably wanted. GT and Forza are backed by rich companies who don't give a flip.

FRACTURED said:

Yeah... I really wish Codies could do that.. FOM needs to chill a little with their restrictions. I think FOM are just more focused on improving the actual spectacle over their game licensing. A shame because they could make a lot of popularity by expanding their video game presence. In fact, it might even be worth their while to inject some funds into the development of this game to make it a truly world class game. 
  • coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    I remember watching an interview on tv during a Grand Prix and the topic was about video games. They said that we are roughly 2-3 years away from being able to race against the actual drivers on race day in a virtual environment within the comfort of our living room. With that being said, I think we will start hearing more about LM and video games in the next 1-2 years.  Hopefully this means that we will be seeing an F1 game from a new developer in the near future. 
    pijin said:

FRACTURED said:

Yeah... I really wish Codies could do that.. FOM needs to chill a little with their restrictions. I think FOM are just more focused on improving the actual spectacle over their game licensing. A shame because they could make a lot of popularity by expanding their video game presence. In fact, it might even be worth their while to inject some funds into the development of this game to make it a truly world class game. 
    I get the feeling they will in time Bernie's only just gone so it's going to take a little more time to get the restrictions lifted. We just need to be patient while it happens

• FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    edited June 20
    Apparently we could be back up to 22 car grid next season anyways, I saw a report that a potential team had tried to get some of the Red Bull guys on board. Have not heard anything about who the team could be though. 

For career, to add a custom team what exactly is needed I wonder? 

Initial setup would be...
    Team Name
    Team Logo
    Colorway
    ...so that would set the colors of the cars and uniforms, race suits, transporters in the paddock etc. 

Then they could go the easy way and have a standard team principal and staff, or a market for Team Principal, engineering head and pit crew with perhaps a team budget which increases by beating your testing and qualifying/race targets. Tie that into the current development plan in career, and unlock the caps per team (the one that means after about season 4 of career last year the performance chart would reflect how it was to begin) or keep it and have the "new team" not be capped but start from a lower point. 
    If you had a market for Team Principal, Engineering Head etc each could have pros and cons - financial expert who can raise money vs maybe a team guy who helps everyone perform to their best; engineering head with better engine development, mechanical grip or better aero traits; pit crew who rarely mess up but might be a tad slower on average versus a speedier pit crew who may occasionally drop a wheel nut (hi pCars I'm looking at you). If they make it with random fake people, and a fake car,  it shouldn't be that hard to convince the powers that be of its worth in the game. Whilst REALLY fleshing out career mode if there is no possibility to add lower formulae. 
    Edit: forgot sponsorship. Could also have fake sponsorship companies maybe alongside those who are F1 suppliers and sponsors. Pirelli tyres, Tag Heur timing, Shell (or whoever it is) fuel could be standard sponsors with set income.  Extra free "advertising for those companies". And then a fake title sponsor list to choose from, maybe some only paying out for points, another for finishes, different sponsors offering different perks, possibly related again to the car development. 
    You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
  • HalukbayHalukbay Member Unleaded
    edited June 20

If not posted before!! Some interesting R&D news from aarava! If you are not able to open here please go check in youtube aarava f1 2017 career mode
  • coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    Yea the video talks mostly of the r n d tree and so far that aspect of career mode sounds great. But, there is still so many unanswered questions:
    1-how many seasons will career mode last
    2-do the cars eventually revert back to season 1 performance like in f12016
    3-etc...
    coolieboy said:
    Yea the video talks mostly of the r n d tree and so far that aspect of career mode sounds great. But, there is still so many unanswered questions:
    1-how many seasons will career mode last
    2-do the cars eventually revert back to season 1 performance like in f12016
    3-etc...sa
    same as before I'd guess 10 seasons .As for whether they revret back t season 1 performance I hope not I think the ideaf the new R&D is in part t otry to stop that happening.

• AdamFreemanAdamFreeman Member Pit Crew
    The new development tree seem much deeper and with engine managment too four of each component it should take much longer to get through it.

Bigger upgrades can also take months to be put on the car rnd speed is one of the tree optopns