Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt Rally Very Low FPS

I recently got the humble bundle that included dirt rally, expecting it to run fine on my gtx 980 at 1080p, but i get 12.50 fps on the benchmark and everything is laggy. I turned off all graphics settings and turned down the resolution, but still I get 12.50 fps. I use an xbox controller to play. Thank you. 

Comments

• HinjimaHinjima Member New Car Smell
    edited June 20
    it should run fine on the gtx 980 at 1080p, you should manage to run it at ultra.  What CPU do you have? How much ram?
    Try reinstalling dirt rally, and reinstalling nvidia graphics driver.   if its stuck at 12.50fps on high and low it seems like its something causing the locked fps.

• vish929vish929 Member New Car Smell
    Thanks for replying, I have 32gb of ram, and an overclocked i7 4790k. I tried reinstalling and that did not work. I tried running the game with all usb ports unplugged and that also did not work. I originally had old drivers and ran the game with the same results, so I updated to the latest drivers from Nvidia and the same thing happens. I will try to reinstall the drivers, thank you for the help. 
    I tried reinstalling the drivers and that did not work. 
    edited June 20
    vish929 said:
    I tried reinstalling the drivers and that did not work. 

more than enough ram and processor power. Do you get 12.5 fps on the main menu screen? or is it only while driving?
    under Graphics - Video mode - what is the refresh rate set to?
    I get low fps on startup, at menu, and when trying to do anything in the game
    refresh rate is set to 59 fps and v sync is off 
  • Superd00psSuperd00ps Member Unleaded
    What are your fps while playing the game?
    ASRock z170 Extreme 7+, i6700K@4.6, Corsair H110i, 16G G.Skill Trident, SLi MSI GTX 1070 Gaming z 8G, 3-Way RAID0 Samsung 950/960 Pro m.2, BenQ XL2420Z, Corsair RM1000i, Corsair 750D, G27, Win10-64.
    vish929 said:
    I get low fps on startup, at menu, and when trying to do anything in the game

That is the weirdest... Could you try running the game in windowed mode / windowed borderless rather than fullscreen and see if that makes a difference?
    Yea i actually tried to alt tab  out of the game in windowed mode so that I could check my cpu and gpu usage, and it still ran slow, and the gpu and the cpu were working fine
    superdoops fps is 12.50 according to the benchmark in every part of the game
    vish929 said:
    Yea i actually tried to alt tab  out of the game in windowed mode so that I could check my cpu and gpu usage, and it still ran slow, and the gpu and the cpu were working fine

I dont know man, this is a strange issue..  does not seem hardware related at all.  Tried Nvidia Geforce experience and optimizing Dirt rally and launch it from there?  Just pitching idea's here, worth a shot.
    Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Nvidia experience doesnt seem to fix the issue either. 
    edited June 20
    vish929 said:
    Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Nvidia experience doesnt seem to fix the issue either. 

Pleasure. but I am out of ideas my friend. Lets hope someone else stumbles upon this thread with some better knowledge:).  To me it does sound like a program is interfering with the game or it could be some settings in the Nvidia control panel - Dirt Rally.  Tried running the game as Administrator?

• Superd00psSuperd00ps Member Unleaded
    Do not use Geforce experience,...just chose,let's say low preset and see what the fps move to. Make sure to reset to the native resolution of your display too.
    ASRock z170 Extreme 7+, i6700K@4.6, Corsair H110i, 16G G.Skill Trident, SLi MSI GTX 1070 Gaming z 8G, 3-Way RAID0 Samsung 950/960 Pro m.2, BenQ XL2420Z, Corsair RM1000i, Corsair 750D, G27, Win10-64.
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    Try to unplug the controller and run it only with the keyboard.

I started the game without the controller plugged in and I have checked off run as administrator in the compatibility tab, but still the game is unplayable. Any other suggestions? 
    Try to verify game cache integrity in Steam.
    I tried deleting the exe then verifying the cache but that didn't work I have an old computer and dirt rally is managing to run on it, and that is on Windows 7. So, maybe it has something to do with the fact that my new computer is on Windows 10?
    edited June 21
    Try updatting your Windows 10.                        

What performance mode are you running?
    I'll see if updating works, and if you mean the power setting for Windows, I set it to the highest performance in the settings and not on power saving or balanced. I really don't care about the apps in windows 10 so I might rollback to Windows 7 and see if that works. Thanks.