Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

2017 Swarovski Austrian Grand Prix

MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
Big news this weekend as Formula 1 signed a 'multi-year' deal with Swarovski, the popular Austrian producer of crystal jewellery. They become the 'Official Jewellery Supplier' of F1, and to mark their first race at home in Austria, the trophies this weekend will be lined with Swarovski crystals, much to the delight of bling king, Lewis Hamilton.
MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating

Comments

• HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    Hamilton be like this walking into the track

• RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    Ended up more like this in FP3 :p                       

edited July 8
    What you didn't see in that gif was Vettel pushing him off the road :smirk:
    edited July 8
    The curbs really do make a nice sound when the cars go over them, sounds a fighter jet through my soundbar. They ruin the cars, but they sound good :D
  • JiggyJiggy Member Race Steward
    edited July 8
    Had Magnussen down for a good result, then the **** yellow kerbs ruined that. Haas had a real shot at two cars in Q3 here.

Apparently not directly a kerb thing, it just gave out. Wonder if it happened due to earlier contact with the big kerb. That would worry me if I was Grosjean tbh.
    It's stupid that the FIA bang on about safety and then put dangerous curbs down. Obviously they will say it's deterrent, but if you make a slight mistake and go on them during the race and brake your suspension, that could cause a big accident.
    edited July 9
    I'm getting so frustrated that Max keeps getting DNF's, he can make a dull race exciting. Surely it's got to turn around for him at some point  :(

Also someone forgot the bleep machine for K-Mag.
    Since the first race of the season Bottas has really improved. He's always had talent, but I doubted he could hang with the best, but he's proving me me wrong. For Ferrari it's great as they have a clear number 1 driver, but at Mercedes both are fighting for the championship.
  • MexicolaMexicola Member Race Engineer
    Not a thriller but still a decent race. Really happy for Bottas, couple of more weekends like that and he could be a very serious championship contender. A three horse race please!
  • GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Team Principal
    Flawless weekend for Bottas apart from that 2nd stint. He lost 13 seconds to Lewis there. Sick and tired of these damage limitation races for Lewis though. Still, despite the last two races being messy he's still with a shot at the title with arguably the slightly better car and 15 pts ahead of his teammate. Could be worse.
  • VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    Hughesy said:
    Since the first race of the season Bottas has really improved. He's always had talent, but I doubted he could hang with the best, but he's proving me me wrong. For Ferrari it's great as they have a clear number 1 driver, but at Mercedes both are fighting for the championship.
    On the contrary, when Hamilton has a bad day he's got Bottas there to take points off Vettel. When Vettel has a bad day he'd be better off waving a magic wand than relying on Raikkonen for help, in most cases. 
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Petrol Head
    Raikkonen is actually below Ricciardo in the championship, if you want a perspective on how poor he has been. He had one job today and that was to beat Lewis. He couldn't even manage it. 
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

• inspiretheworldinspiretheworld Member Petrol Head
    AMS97KRR said:
    Raikkonen is actually below Ricciardo in the championship, if you want a perspective on how poor he has been. He had one job today and that was to beat Lewis. He couldn't even manage it. 
    Kimi needs to find his form again, he is going backwards. 
    PS4 - inspiretheworld
    Steam - beans_on_toast
    edited July 9
    VetteIfan said:
    Hughesy said:
    On the contrary, when Hamilton has a bad day he's got Bottas there to take points off Vettel. When Vettel has a bad day he'd be better off waving a magic wand than relying on Raikkonen for help, in most cases. 
    That makes no sense, as Bottas is also taking points off Hamilton. If for some crazy reason Kimi is ahead of Vettel, Ferrari will do everything to get Vettel past, with Bottas and Hamilton that won't happen with how close it is between them.
  • VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    edited July 9
    Hughesy said:
    That makes no sense, as Bottas is also taking points off Hamilton. If for some crazy reason Kimi is ahead of Vettel, Ferrari will do everything to get Vettel past, with Bottas and Hamilton that won't happen with how close it is between them.
    By winning today Bottas took 7 points from Vettel and 3 from Hamilton. You don't need a degree in maths to work out that more beneficial to Hamilton than if he wasn't there. And you've hit the nail on the head there, "if for some crazy reason Kimi is ahead". Having a number 2 driver isn't much use if they're rarely ever in the same race as you. 

And just in case you still don't believe it, over the course of the season Raikkonen has finished ahead of Hamilton twice and taken a grand total of 5 points from him. Bottas has finished ahead of Vettel four times and taken a total of 20 points from him. Hamilton is factually gaining more from having a strong teammate than Vettel is from having a 'number 2' driver. So you've no need to play that card again. 

edited July 9
    Kimi has passed his termination date by 2014. The only reason he's kept is because he's easy to work with from a political pov and he seems to have accepted his role as the supporting guy for Vettel.

However, as Seb pointed out, this strategy doesn't seem to be working well for Ferrari neither in the WCC nor in the WDC. You can have a 2017 Kimi in a dominant car and everything will go easily your way, but if you're up against an equally good car and a better driver line-up, this sort of driver related deficit becomes a burden.
    Kimi is literally a number 2, that's my bloody point. Ferrari will do everything to give Vettel the best chance to win, Mercedes can't and won't do that. Every race Kimi only role is to hold up the Mercedes, like today they left him out ages which screwed him, after that he lost motivation and also had car issues going on which is why he was slow.
    But part of the reason why he ends up having to do these things is that he's simply too fecking slow. He has flashes of his old self every 10 races or so, but that's simply not enough. He is past it and he has been for years. However much anyone supports him or not, it is obvious that he is simply not up to the task.
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Petrol Head
    edited July 9
    Hughesy said:
    Kimi is literally a number 2, that's my bloody point. Ferrari will do everything to give Vettel the best chance to win, Mercedes can't and won't do that. Every race Kimi only role is to hold up the Mercedes, like today they left him out ages which screwed him, after that he lost motivation and also had car issues going on which is why he was slow.
    Literally all he was needed for today from a No.2 point of view was to hold Lewis at bay. He was too slow to take any points from him...He's always too slow to steal the points so Vettel is fighting two Mercedes a lot this season. 

Bottas is a good driver, so when he is used as a mobile chicane (Spain), he does the job and he is in a good position to do so.
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

• MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    Totally agree, having Bottas there to hold back Vettel is helping Hamilton a heck of a lot.

With Ricciardo's brilliant run of podiums at the moment, it made me wonder how the championship would look if it started from Spain, where his streak began. Here's what it would look like:

1 / 85 / Vettel
    2 / 85 / Ricciardo
    3 / 78 / Hamilton
    4 / 73 / Bottas
    5 / 34 / Raikkonen
    6 / 30 / Ocon
    7 / 28 / Perez
    8 / 18 / Stroll
    9 / 18 / Sainz
    10 / 14 / Grosjean
    11 / 12 / Hulkenberg
    12 / 10 / Verstappen
    13 / 7 / Magnussen
    14 / 5 / Wehrlein
    15 / 4 / Massa
    16 / 2 / Kvyat
    17 / 2 / Alonso

I was shocked. Here are the main things to take away from this:

- 4 way battle for the title, with Ricciardo joint leading the championship with Vettel, ahead of both the Mercedes.
    - Raikkonen way behind, and under pressure from Force India, with Ocon leading Perez, just.
    - Stroll way outperforming Massa in terms of points, and same with Sainz and Kvyat.
    - Verstappen all the way down in 12th place with 10 points. Just imagine if things had been going the way of his team mate, we could potentially have a 5 way title fight on our hands!
    - Wehrlein would even be beating Massa, and Kvyat, despite being in a Sauber.

I know it's just all fantasy, but it makes you think how much fortune can change and influence in F1. All it takes is a couple of naff races or some amazing results and everything can change.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating