Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Codies poor Marketing Strategy this year

Tomi1997Tomi1997 Member, Drivers Pit Crew
TBH fact of the matter is the game is called F1 2017. We're having one of the most revolutionary changes to F1 but nothing has been said about the 2017 content. This is very poor on behalf of codemasters. You announcing classic cars has nothing to do with me buying the game. I'm excited and want to buy the game because of THIS season not previous seasons. It's as if the big changes of this season are being ignored and codemasters are missing a Golden opportunity to make a big deal about this season. Really don't understand this marketing strategy as  i for one want 2017 content. 

Comments

• GPKingGPKing Member Unleaded
    Yeah it's weird that the first official pictures were published by Red Bull rather than Codies themselves. We have seen a bit of gameplay at E3 from the Haas but that's it, the rest was classic cars footage with the F2007 and the RB6. 

However, last year we saw first gameplay videos in mid June and the first official trailer at the beginning of July. They still seem to be on the same schedule as last year, maybe a week or two behind so we should be seeing something in the next few days hopefully.
  • thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Pit Crew
    Exactly, a trailer should be coming soon. These pictures from yesterday were all cool but it's not really hyping me up for the game or anything, need a trailer :)
    Team radio: "[insert name here], Thom is faster than you!"
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Petrol Head
    For whatever reason, the marketing on these game before release has always been weird and lacking. I would say this is the most they have done for a release since maybe 2013.
    Xbox one, controller
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Race Steward
    Well this time last year. We had two hot laps for Baku some screenshots and one hot lap of Austria, and ofc e3 gameplay. Last year I only feel they did those hotlaps is cause baku was ofc a new circuit and they wanted to hype it up and saw it as an opportunity to hype the game up aswell. So, far aside from 3 hotlaps we're there. Silverstone last year saw first of all the 'create your own legend' trailer release' aswell as a hotlap and more screenshots. Then we had the 'your journey begins' trailer for hungary, and a wet hotlap. Then August 4th we got the career trailer. After that on August 12th we got the shitty tv spot (that I actly realised). Finally on release day,19th August, we got the launch trailer. So yes we are behind. However they usually do hotlaps on either Friday or Saturday. Next week is Silverstone and it would make a lot of sense for them to release something there. So lets just keep our fingers crossed that they do
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • likewiselikewise Member Wheel Nut
    Here in Canada you will be hard-pressed to even find a copy on the shelves on release day. If you didn't already know about the sport or the game it would be like it never existed!
  • thombrouwer90thombrouwer90 Member Pit Crew
    haydn23 said:
    Well this time last year. We had two hot laps for Baku some screenshots and one hot lap of Austria, and ofc e3 gameplay. Last year I only feel they did those hotlaps is cause baku was ofc a new circuit and they wanted to hype it up and saw it as an opportunity to hype the game up aswell. So, far aside from 3 hotlaps we're there. Silverstone last year saw first of all the 'create your own legend' trailer release' aswell as a hotlap and more screenshots. Then we had the 'your journey begins' trailer for hungary, and a wet hotlap. Then August 4th we got the career trailer. After that on August 12th we got the shitty tv spot (that I actly realised). Finally on release day,19th August, we got the launch trailer. So yes we are behind. However they usually do hotlaps on either Friday or Saturday. Next week is Silverstone and it would make a lot of sense for them to release something there. So lets just keep our fingers crossed that they do
    Lee Mather said on twitter that they don't know if they'll do hotlaps this year.
    Team radio: "[insert name here], Thom is faster than you!"
  • Naeemali007Naeemali007 Member Wheel Nut
    Yep Agree ......I am getting more details from you tubers than CM them self, I heard they are very busy with the game but I thought they usually have a marketing dept or person  
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Team Principal

I think 'social media marketing' (outsourcing the hype to YouTubers & streamers) is their 'strategy' now. It's probably cheaper, easier, and maybe even has the same or better effect on sales as their own marketing efforts (such as they are).

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality. #NeverPreOrder

• roberto28roberto28 Member Co-Driver
    liveTOwin said:
    We can hear you :)
    But you hear only the topics what you want to hear and then you react with a "soon".
    What about the most viewed discussion (over 7K + clear end result of a poll) with no reaction from Codemasters?
    Need help? Where is the official F1-style HUD as a feature which is wished by the community since years?
    If we would get an answer with "Sorry guys, not this year, but next year" or "We know about your wish and we are working to bring it with a patch into the game" or "Sorry we can't use it, because of license" or "We don't like the official HUD - we like to use our own" or .. or .. or .. TALK TO US and we can understand what is going on. To ignore it without details is a very big failed strategy.
    Thanks for letting us know Jenny. I agree with LiveTOwin, we rather have a reason why features like HUD are not included in the game than being ignored for years. 
  • scotty99scotty99 Member New Car Smell
    We're aware that you want to see gameplay and details, and we're looking to get you these as soon as possible. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the reason things are always late with the F1 games is to do with asset creation and sign offs. We can hear you :)
    thanks jenny
  • Cap10Cap10 Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 9
    it the sign offs part that is the issue and takes at least 1 month or more. so it make perfect sense that they show off classic cars first since it dosent take as much time to get it approved by the teams and fia. at least we get to see something from the game earlier then in past releases. 
  • coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Race Steward
    We're aware that you want to see gameplay and details, and we're looking to get you these as soon as possible. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the reason things are always late with the F1 games is to do with asset creation and sign offs. We can hear you :)
    I'm going to call BS, sorry. From what you wrote, then we should at the very least see some footage of a Red Bull or Torro Rosso in a career race at the Red Bull Ring. If the Red Bull website is showing pics of the car then I'm sure whatever assets pertaining to that team has been signed off already. 
  • jennyannemjennyannem Member, Codemasters Community Manager
    coolieboy said:
    I'm going to call BS, sorry. From what you wrote, then we should at the very least see some footage of a Red Bull or Torro Rosso in a career race at the Red Bull Ring. If the Red Bull website is showing pics of the car then I'm sure whatever assets pertaining to that team has been signed off already. 
    I'm sorry you feel that way!
  • Dboyking1Dboyking1 Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    I think you people are ignoring how hard it is to make an official game annually when you have the FOM on your back restricting you from things you want to have and to get everything perfect to people's enjoyment.

"I've always believed you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Micheal Schumacher

#KeepFightingMicheal

• JamesGJamesG Member Pit Crew
    I just hope that they realise when they failed to sell as much as 2016 that it's because of their marketing strategy and not the game itself.
  • BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Race Steward
    JamesG said:
    I just hope that they realise when they failed to sell as much as 2016 that it's because of their marketing strategy and not the game itself.
    I don't really understand why you call it a bad marketing strategy. They are feeding us with lots of marketing. It's not because you are not interested in classic cars that it is a bad marketing strategy. The word is out that F1 2017 is coming and they keep reminding F1 fans of that. Its only the beginning of july and the game is out in the end of august. If they would show you the footage you want you might forget by the end of august that the game is out because you are not hungry anymore for more info.  :p

We have already enough unofficial info on what to expect and that's why we wanna see more. I don't think Codies wlll loose any sales just because they did not show the footage you want to see. You know you will get the info you want to know at least 2 weeks before release. And if you like what you see you will be getting the game as soon as possible. 

• Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited July 11

Typical... Games media, YouTubers, testers, and other independent sources share more info about CodeMasters' games than CodeMasters share about their own games. I wonder why everyone is allowed to talk about CodeMasters games except CodeMasters.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/54391/first-official-images-of-the-game-f1-2017/p1

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality. #NeverPreOrder

• PrinceVlad1888PrinceVlad1888 Member New Car Smell
    Tomi1997 said:
    TBH fact of the matter is the game is called F1 2017. We're having one of the most revolutionary changes to F1 but nothing has been said about the 2017 content. This is very poor on behalf of codemasters. You announcing classic cars has nothing to do with me buying the game. I'm excited and want to buy the game because of THIS season not previous seasons. It's as if the big changes of this season are being ignored and codemasters are missing a Golden opportunity to make a big deal about this season. Really don't understand this marketing strategy as  i for one want 2017 content. 

This isn't unfortunately anything new...It's been this way since F1 2011 (Of course 2010 was an exception!)

Operator1 said:

Typical... Games media, YouTubers, testers, and other independent sources share more info about CodeMasters' games than CodeMasters share about their own games. I wonder why everyone is allowed to talk about CodeMasters games except CodeMasters.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/54391/first-official-images-of-the-game-f1-2017/p1

They're probably not 'allowed' to discuss their own game simply because they're worried about what they might say!

Even after all this time, I sometimes have found it quite hard to bite my lip with the way they go about business; however without knowing the true reasons of 'behind the scenes' activity, it's impossible to judge...

I have to say though, my actual playing of the games over the years has dwindled quite significantly; not because my interest in F1 has diminished, but simply because the series has become 'stale'...
    And to add, with this year's inclusion of classic content once again, I fear it's going to be a 'F1 2013' all over again :neutral:

In fact (sorry Codemasters), I'm more enthusiastic about upcoming titles such as WRC7 and TT Ride on the Edge.

Obviously the information wil arrive at some point over the coming weeks, however from what I've already viewed, nothings really giving me that 'must buy' feeling...
    'I am the last of my kind...'