Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

2017 Snapchat British Grand Prix

Comments

• ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    Anywho, excuse me while I'm busy never ever buying a flipping Pirelli tyre in my life.

(Same for Honda cars, obviously.)
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Race Engineer
    edited July 16
    Love watching a good domination, great for the sport.

Edit: Can't believe Raikkonens luck either, he had even fresher tyres than Vettel and his went first... To be honest after that Ferrari should have just pitted Vettel, it was a massive risk to leave him out and it backfired. Shame Bottas had that penalty as I'd like to have seen an actual battle at the front, nobody to blame for that but Ferrari and the lack of pace and a gearbox. I just hope this isn't the end of the title battle, because if it is, F1 is just fucked. No way can we have Mercedes running off with it again. 
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

• GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Team Principal
    edited July 16
    Martin Brundle apparently suffering from an upset stomach. That's what happens when you're working closely with Karun Chandhok.
  • HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    Martin Brundle apparently suffering from an upset stomach. That's what happens when you're working closely with Karun Chandhok.
    Sure it wasn't Crofty's hog roast? 
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    Highlight of the race was undoubtedly Vettel and Verstappen going toe to toe at the start. That is EXACTLY the sort of racing I love to watch, hard but fair. Vettel pushed Max off at Stowe and he returned the favour at Vale, all equal.

Lewis, just brilliant. I still think he was silly not going to London but you can't fault him when he delivers a dominant weekend like that. And a super recovery drive by Bottas, he's now been in the top 2 for the last 4 races!

I think Hulkenberg did an incredible job too, to finish comfortably ahead of Force India, fantastic! Shame for Jolyon, he just can't seem to catch a break at the moment.

Kvyat though, surely he can't stay at Toro Rosso next season. This is now his 4th season and he's STILL getting involved in these 1st lap incidents. Sainz was helpless there.

More than anything though, this weekend demonstrated why the British Grand Prix MUST remain at Silverstone. The power of the fans is immense, and hopefully the new owners were blown away by it. A new deal has to be met.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
  • JiggyJiggy Member Race Steward
    Overall underwhelming race, but it had the drama, which...didn't compensate.

Also, they should not say **** about expecting rain, because that, without exception, means we're absolutely not getting rain.
    AMS97KRR said:

Edit: Can't believe Raikkonens luck either, he had even fresher tyres than Vettel and his went first... To be honest after that Ferrari should have just pitted Vettel, it was a massive risk to leave him out and it backfired. Shame Bottas had that penalty as I'd like to have seen an actual battle at the front, nobody to blame for that but Ferrari and the lack of pace and a gearbox. I just hope this isn't the end of the title battle, because if it is, F1 is just fucked. No way can we have Mercedes running off with it again. 
    Hard to say, really.

If the Mercs keep this form in Hungary and after the summer break in Spa, then it is pretty much done and dusted. Maybe Seb will snatch away the Singapore victory, but other than that it's back to the snoozefest we've had for the past 3 seasons.

Can't really blame them for being the best, but I certainly won't be happy for them. I can't.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
    Some of you guys are way too quick in writing Ferrari off. Also, F1 didn't need Vettel dominating the 2nd half of 2013, but he did. And guess what: The sport survived, even though many, many people had enough of seeing the same guy and the same team win over and over again. It happens, and if it happens to be a team/driver you don't support, you just have to grit your teeth and get through it. I had to, many others had to. That's life.
  • HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    AMS97KRR said:

Edit: Can't believe Raikkonens luck either, he had even fresher tyres than Vettel and his went first... To be honest after that Ferrari should have just pitted Vettel, it was a massive risk to leave him out and it backfired. Shame Bottas had that penalty as I'd like to have seen an actual battle at the front, nobody to blame for that but Ferrari and the lack of pace and a gearbox. I just hope this isn't the end of the title battle, because if it is, F1 is just ******. No way can we have Mercedes running off with it again. 
    So when Schumacher dominated the sport was F1 ******? Or when Williams, McLaren or Red Bull? It happens a lot more than people seem to remember. The only way you stop that is by having cars that are all the same. If they equalise the engines then one team will do better in the aero department. Ferrari have had a few poor races, but I have no doubt they will have good races.
    The prospect of a title race turning into a whipping contest around mid-season doesn't become more appealing to me because it happened before, I can tell you that.
    Jiggy said:
    The prospect of a title race turning into a whipping contest around mid-season doesn't become more appealing to me because it happened before, I can tell you that.
    That wasn't my point.
    Jiggy said:
    That wasn't my point.
    Then what was it?

Like, I get that "just accept it for what it is, this is also F1" is the healthy thing to do, but I want my ultimate title fight between two drivers from different teams dammit.

I hate it when championships ends in an anti-climatic manner. I need my final battle man. Still not over that one time where it looked like we could've had Ferrari vs. McLaren vs. Mercedes vs. Red Bull, which turned out to be 4 years of mostly VETTEL WINS LOL.
    edited July 17
    Some of you guys are way too quick in writing Ferrari off. Also, F1 didn't need Vettel dominating the 2nd half of 2013, but he did. And guess what: The sport survived, even though many, many people had enough of seeing the same guy and the same team win over and over again. It happens, and if it happens to be a team/driver you don't support, you just have to grit your teeth and get through it. I had to, many others had to. That's life.
    Considering how Ferrari dropped the ball for the past 8 seasons, I don't think I am. The thing is, they bring upgrade after upgrade and if anything, it looks like the Merc is looking better after every round so far, so not exactly encouraging signs there.

As for the 2013 domination of Seb, you can blame Pirelli for that, let's not forget that. They switched the tyre compounds and boom, Seb went on an almost disgusting win streak.

Another problem is, who is going to stop Mercedes if they walk away with it again? Red Bull was stopped by a regulation change, as was Ferrari, as was pretty much every dominating team. We already had a big regulation change, what's next then?
    There isn't going to be one for some time, simply because it would ruin the smaller teams, and the soonest we could see a new engine is 2020. And yes, we got rid of the stupid token system, that was good, but Renault and Honda still seem to lag behind. And even Ferrari still seem to have a big deficit to Mercedes. In other words, we could see 3 more seasons of Merc domination.

Doesn't sound too sexy to me.

Jiggy said:
    Like, I get that "just accept it for what it is, this is also F1" is the healthy thing to do [...]

Now you got my point.
    Considering how Ferrari dropped the ball for the past 8 seasons, I don't think I am. The thing is, they bring upgrade after upgrade and if anything, it looks like the Merc is looking better after every round so far, so not exactly encouraging signs there.

As for the 2013 domination of Seb, you can blame Pirelli for that, let's not forget that. They switched the tyre compounds and boom, Seb went on an almost disgusting win streak.

Another problem is, who is going to stop Mercedes if they walk away with it again? Red Bull was stopped by a regulation change, as was Ferrari, as was pretty much every dominating team. We already had a big regulation change, what's next then?
    There isn't going to be one for some time, simply because it would ruin the smaller teams, and the soonest we could see a new engine is 2020. And yes, we got rid of the stupid token system, that was good, but Renault and Honda still seem to lag behind. And even Ferrari still seem to have a big deficit to Mercedes. In other words, we could see 3 more seasons of Merc domination.

Then again, you can't penalize Mercedes for having done a better job yet again, despite new regulations. These new regulations were meant to give teams like RB a better chance of catching Mercedes. I remember how much they were looking forward to it, and now look at the gap to the silver arrows. Mercedes are just too damn good, whatever the rules are. And therefore it's no wonder they're winning so many races. It's not their fault Red Bull have been disappointing so far this season and it's not their fault Ferrari are once again losing out in the development race (although as I've said before, don't count them out just yet).

Then again, you can't penalize Mercedes for having done a better job yet again, despite new regulations. These new regulations were meant to give teams like RB a better chance of catching Mercedes. I remember how much they were looking forward to it, and now look at the gap to the silver arrows. Mercedes are just too damn good, whatever the rules are. And therefore it's no wonder they're winning so many races. It's not their fault Red Bull have been disappointing so far this season and it's not their fault Ferrari are once again losing out in the development race (although as I've said before, don't count them out just yet).
    Exactly. You can't, but probably not for a lack of trying. Let's take a look back.

Williams: Active suspension? Say goodbye to that.
    Ferrari: Yo, we heard you dominate the sport, how about you are no longer allowed to change tyres after qualifying?
    Red Bull: Double diffuser. That's cool. Guess what, it's banned! What's that? You now use a blown diffuser? No you're not!

But what could you take away from the Mercs? Nothing. The past few years the aero rules were too simple and now after changing them, there will probably be no significant change for years to come.

If anything it's the fault of the FIA. They reduced testing, they introduced cost cutting ideas, and they introduced one of the most complicated engines in motorsport history. In other words, a perfect mix for one team to dominate.
    And if all that wasn't enough, they also introduced this moronic token system at the start of a completely new generation of engines, making it damn near impossible for anyone to catch up. Renault and Honda had to drastically alter their designs and even Ferrari are struggling, to no surprise though, since they lost about 3 years of free development.

To summarise: Barely any testing, barely any development, overly complicated PU. Taking all this into account, it was pretty clear that one team would get it right and that the rest simply can't keep up, no matter what.

Jiggy said:
    Like, I get that "just accept it for what it is, this is also F1" is the healthy thing to do [...]

Now you got my point.
    But I'm selfish. I want to eat my cake and my ice cream too.
    edited July 17
    Ferrari: Yo, we heard you dominate the sport, how about you are no longer allowed to change tyres after qualifying?
    Red Bull: Double diffuser. That's cool. Guess what, it's banned! What's that? You now use a blown diffuser? No you're not!

Williams remained a very strong team after the ban of active suspension. With a better pair of drivers (excluding Senna for obvious reasons) they could have won the 1994 and 1995 championships, which means we would have had Williams winning everything between 92 and 97.

In regards to Ferrari, the FIA reverted back to the previous set of rules regarding tyre changes during a race. By 2006 Ferrari were one of the two cars to beat and remained so until 2009.

In regards to Red Bull, they banned the double diffuser in what, 2010? We all know what happened between 2011 and 2013.

In none of your examples did the team arguably most affected by a massive change of rules suffer from long term disadvantages. Sooner or much sooner they came back to being either dominant or at the top.

Williams remained a very strong team after the ban of active suspension. With a better pair of drivers (excluding Senna for obvious reasons) they could have won the 1994 and 1995 championships, which means we would have had Williams winning everything between 92 and 97.

In regards to Ferrari, the FIA reverted back to the previous set of rules regarding tyre changes during a race. By 2006 Ferrari were one of the two cars to beat and remained so until 2009.

In regards to Red Bull, they banned the double diffuser in what, 2010? We all know what happened between 2011 and 2013.

In none of your examples did the team arguably most affected by a massive change of rules suffer from long term disadvantages. Sooner or much sooner they came back to being either dominant or at the top.
    The point is, though, they did try to stop the teams from dominating. As for Red Bull, the 2014 regs were pretty much exactly that, and they were very successful in that manner.

And again, you couldn't even try that with Mercedes, 'cos what are you going to take away from them? Their biggest advantage is easily the engine. 2020 is the earliest we can expect to change that. And the other teams simply couldn't play catch up for the past few years. So if they run away with both titles again, who's to stop them?
    Renault don't even think about titles at this stage. Honda sh*ts the bed every opportunity they get. Ferrari are able to do decent packages, but are lagging behind in development races. And every one else don't have the money.

As I said, the FIA ultimately is to blame for that. The Concorde Agreement, the ban on testing, cost cutting ideas that really didn't help the smaller teams anyway, and the restriction on development. The result? A team dominating in a way never seen before.

• VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    So I spent the entirety of this weekend very drunk because I graduated last week, and as such have only just caught up with the race/weekend. 

I'm a big Vettel fan but I'm not deluded - unless Ferrari have a monster summer this title race is over. Anyone who thinks differently hasn't been watching since Catalunya.