Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS)

Comments

• roberto28roberto28 Member Race Steward
    For instance, PS4 tapping triangle once opens the DRS, tapping triangle twice enables KERS

I think this would be simple to implement...
  • WestyyWestyy Member New Car Smell
    KERS? this is automated in RL now anyway. They only manage the levels of the ERS etc.
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    Yeah, there's been no KERS in F1 for a couple of years now. Most teams do still have some kind of push-to-overtake button, though.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
    Ok, question. In game we can set fuel mix to rich, standard or lean. Is this similar to Real live?
  • Dboyking1Dboyking1 Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    I'm pretty sure he means that the classic cars like the RB6 wont have kers, kers got removed in 2014 people XD

"I've always believed you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Micheal Schumacher

#KeepFightingMicheal

• silentgrprosilentgrpro Member New Car Smell
    Dboyking1 said:
    I'm pretty sure he means that the classic cars like the RB6 wont have kers, kers got removed in 2014 people XD
    RB6 didn't have KERS. It was introduced in 2011
  • Dboyking1Dboyking1 Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    Dboyking1 said:

Didn't I just say that

"That the classic cars like the RB6 won't have kers"

You have to read something properly to make a valid point on it

"I've always believed you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Micheal Schumacher

#KeepFightingMicheal

• haydn23haydn23 Member Petrol Head
    KERS is still on the cars today. Kinetic energy recovery system, which is still on the brakes ofc. Just the reason it is called ers now is cause they have other ways of recovering energy such as the wasted heat from the exhaust and wasted gases from the turbo and so on. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • CRGSoapCRGSoap Member New Car Smell
    Guys it's not KERS anymore, it's now MGU-H and MGU-K and the drivers do have full control over how it is used!
  • FOneFanaticFOneFanatic Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited July 16
    As of 2014 KERS has been implemented differently and is no longer at the driver beck and call but part of a more intricate engine management system that uses MGU-K (new KERS) and MGU-H (HERS - heat energy) that uses control electronics to store and redistribute power to the F1 car when needed the most as when coming out of  corners or on  straightaways. KERS is there, but as Lee intimated, implemented differently as part of a new hybrid system.  This was all explained in great detail on the F1 website when the regulations changed for the 2014 year.  This is why the addition of the classic cars to the upcoming game is so relevant, as we get to sample the old KERS cars. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/understanding-f1-racing/Energy_Recovery_Systems.html
    If his unpleasant wounding, has in someway enlightened the rest of us, as to the grim finish beneath the glossy veneer of criminal life, and has inspired us all to change our ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory!

"Gone in 60 Seconds"
  • JamesGJamesG Member Pit Crew
    It's not KERS anymore, it's ERS. 

• Body is 7 characters too short.
  • AraqielAraqiel Member Unleaded
    If you want an idea of how much the driver manages the ERS and to what extent they have direct control over when it deploys, Assetto Corsa has the 2015 Ferrari with all that modelled pretty accurately.
  • ForeverchampsForeverchamps Member Pit Crew
    edited July 17

I know this isn't completely relevant, but I wonder why the ERS system can only be used for 33 seconds a lap. Surely this means the ERS system has a far greater impact on shorter circuits, such as Austria, Monaco and Canada, but not much of an impact on tracks such as Spa and Baku?

Perhaps having some ERS maps to choose from, as in real life. A bit like the Lean and rich fuel mix, but for the ERS system - high deployment means you have to reduce the deployment in the laps before to ensure the battery has enough energy to deploy. I think I remember Verstappen saying the Ferrari power units can only have full deployment every other lap on the straights.

• DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Pit Crew
    roberto28 said:
    Ok, question. In game we can set fuel mix to rich, standard or lean. Is this similar to Real live?
    Yes its real. If you need to save fuel in a real race the drivers will use lean. Normally they will use the Standard setting but when they are really going for a pass or fighting for a win they will Rich (full revs) witch makes the car burn more fuel so it produces more power and in turn you will go faster.
    I love racing. Going for the perfectly clean, well executed overtake is the best feeling. If I have to though, I might move you out of my way (no hard feelings).
    edited July 17
    roberto28 said:
    Yes its real. If you need to save fuel in a real race the drivers will use lean. Normally they will use the Standard setting but when they are really going for a pass or fighting for a win they will Rich (full revs) witch makes the car burn more fuel so it produces more power and in turn you will go faster.
    They use both rich fuel mix and ERS to overtake?
  • silentgrprosilentgrpro Member New Car Smell
    Dboyking1 said:
    Oh, sorry
  • AraqielAraqiel Member Unleaded
    edited July 18

I know this isn't completely relevant, but I wonder why the ERS system can only be used for 33 seconds a lap. Surely this means the ERS system has a far greater impact on shorter circuits, such as Austria, Monaco and Canada, but not much of an impact on tracks such as Spa and Baku?

Perhaps having some ERS maps to choose from, as in real life. A bit like the Lean and rich fuel mix, but for the ERS system - high deployment means you have to reduce the deployment in the laps before to ensure the battery has enough energy to deploy. I think I remember Verstappen saying the Ferrari power units can only have full deployment every other lap on the straights.

There's a limit in the regs on how much you can harvest per lap and store overall, which isn't enough to use full deployment every lap - for qualifying they'll charge the battery on the warm-up lap and use it all on one fast lap but in the race you have to be economical with it since you only have enough to use it all every other lap (or half every lap).

The rich/standard/lean is heavily-simplified compared to the real cars, even before ERS came along, but the principle is the same.