Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The end of exclusivity...what does this mean for Codemasters?

coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Race Steward
Hopefully next year we will see some changes and more companies making F1 games.  Imagine a Codie's F1 game alongside F1 games from Reiza, Kunos, SMS, EA, Sony or Microsoft, etc...Which one would you buy? Without exclusivity would CM end up bankrupt? Reiza, Kunos and SMS all have the potential to make the greatest F1 game.  Tbh, I don't think CM would stay afloat against the competition and I don't think the sales from the Dirt series can counter the loss of revenue.  What are your thoughts?

Comments

• MattCecilMattCecil Member New Car Smell
    I will still support Codemasters, for a small company they make pretty damn good games, better then the likes or Reiza, Kunos, ISI and the studio (whatever the number is) making rfactor 2. 
  • peyt0n89peyt0n89 Member Wheel Nut
    UP100 said:
    There weren't any F1 games during 2006 - 2009 era until Codies' picked the license up so why would everyone suddenly start to make their own games when the licensing ends? Most likely it will go back to Codies' (If Liberty Media still wants to have the exclusivity) since they have shown they are capable of making an F1 game which suits a sim racer and a random person who has never even heard of F1. And that's the thing. Official F1 game has to aim to get the casual players playing and interested in the sport. Would it be fun when it's a replica of an F1 simulator that only the people who are really, really good can drive one lap without spinning?

The gaming market is much bigger now than it was back then. There is a big fanbase out there for racing games (Forza, GT, Project CARS, Need For Speed, Assetto Corsa), so I think F1 games could be very successful too. It think it would be a breath of fresh air to have someone else have a crack at it.
    I smell like a new car.
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited July 16

Did I miss some publicly-confirmed official news? I hadn't heard about F1 game licensing opening up. If that's true, then I might guess CodeMasters may stop making F1 games (except maybe cheap & easy arcade/kart F1 games for mobile devices). I doubt the series is very profitable for them even with an exclusive license, so having competition to split such a tiny market might make development an even more unappealing prospect.

I think it's a big gamble to aim for profitability by offering only one category of motorsport with a small selection of similar cars. Even most games in the DiRT series offer multiple types of cars & events, like rally, rally-cross, land-rush, drifting/gymkhana, etc.

Games like Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Forza, Gran Turismo, & even CodeMasters' GRID series offer various levels of racing in one purchase (from hot hatches, to muscle cars, to exotic sports cars, to touring cars, to GT cars, to prototypes, to open-wheelers), letting those games reach much bigger audiences because most people like more variety and it's more bang for the buck.

Just my opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if it stirs somebody up so much that their keyboard-slamming fingers will be burning to fire up a heated debate.  :p

Post edited by Operator1 on

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality. #NeverPreOrder

• haydn23haydn23 Member Race Steward
    Codemasters are a very good company. And they a very good at what they do. As we know 2 years ago they did loose their marketing people, and again not much has changed. With liberty turning up now cm do need to make the most of what liberty are doing cause honestly it's only gonna get better from here.1

However, to the racing aspect Codemasters have made what some people call the best racing games ever in the dirt series and grid series. They are excellent series' (especially dirt). I feel like FOM were holding codies back to an extent but now I think they will be given some freedom. However on to the topic of the likes of reiza and rss. They have no license at all and rly in the dream world they would team up and share their ideas but at the end of the day we have to remember the game is not disgned to be a sim. And even if they did take the sim approach it only has one series of cars so I don't seem most hardcore sim players moving to it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • JamesGJamesG Member Pit Crew
    edited July 15
    If it happened, I'd probably buy both, just like how I got both F1 2002 and Grand Prix Challenge back in the day (both based on the 2002 season).

I'd actually love for another company to make a Grand Prix Legends type game, like Codies can have the current season but another developer makes some historic F1 games. That would be amazing. Because Codies' latest games have been great, I don't think it's necessary to rival it, might end up with both developers losing out overall. 

However a new Grand Prix Legends game, with full seasons as DLC's as they create them and support the game for years to come - That'll be heaven! 

I don't want Reiza to, all they do is reskin rFactor 1... 
  • coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Race Steward
    I not wishing bankruptcy on them, lol. I've been buying CM games since the original FLashpoint. But they only make Dirt and an F1 game. If the F1 market opens up then it will surely mean disaster for them as the likes of Pcars2 is now offering rally racing with the others soon to follow. I've been reading into Pcars2 LiveTrack 3.0 and to me this seems to be the direction that everyone wants, as it now makes the environment less predictable, you can have multiple racing lines, multiple drying lines, dirt and debris being kicked up on tracks affecting driveablility, water pooling trackside, etc...
  • TwayTway Member Unleaded
    Exclusive licenses are not a thing that solely benefits the developer. The reason they are fairly common is because the holder of the rights (talking in general here) as a rule does not consider video games interesting in any way other than to make some money off of, and exclusive licenses make them more.

If the license were to no longer be exclusive, it would save CM a bunch of money up front, which they could then spend on development instead, possibly resulting in a better game. It could also be that the guaranteed sales that a name like this brings in falling away would make it not worth maintaining the title, it is hard to predict such things without insider information, but if the amount of sales that people have linked to some time ago were correct, for CM F1 games, then I'd say that this game is far from a cash cow for them.
  • Sector4Sector4 Member Wheel Nut
    I think Codemasters have done a stellar job and are now on an upward trajectory towards making the games even better. F1 2017 has the chance to be a game that finally surpasses both the Grand Prix Series and F1 Challenge 99-02 as the best F1 game of all time. Sure, some games like Assetto Corsa might give a better experience on what it's like to drive a F1 car but the official F1 games by Codemasters give the best experience on what it's like to be a F1 driver.

• LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Unleaded
    The F1 gaming branche needs a healthy competition.

There are many other studios out there who would do a much better job at properly representing F1 than Codies, so if the licence hypothetically gets granted towards other studios as well, it'll only force Codemasters to either up their efforts tremendously and or to drop the production of F1 games alltogether, good riddance, as their DIRT / GRID / DTM franchises are infinitely more creative than any F1 related product they have ever published til this day and age unfortunately.....
  • JamesGJamesG Member Pit Crew
    edited July 16
    Sector4 said:
    I think Codemasters have done a stellar job and are now on an upward trajectory towards making the games even better. F1 2017 has the chance to be a game that finally surpasses both the Grand Prix Series and F1 Challenge 99-02 as the best F1 game of all time. Sure, some games like Assetto Corsa might give a better experience on what it's like to drive a F1 car but the official F1 games by Codemasters give the best experience on what it's like to be a F1 driver.

Honestly, the only reason why people like the GP and F1C games so much is because of it's modability. F1 Challenge has full season mods for every single F1 season. And GP4 has a lot also. 

If that can happen in a Codies game, only then will it surpass the others. F1 2017 has the ability to choose your own grid with the classic cars (hopefully it's in single player and not just online), so if they "accidentally" make it possible and easy to have add-on cars and tracks, then it will definitely surpass GP4 and F1C. 
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited July 16

coolieboy said:
    ...They can only this because of the monopoly they have.  Eliminate the monopoly and the quality and content will increase drastically.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!  :)

Funny how games like Forza, Gran Turismo, Project CARS, etc. offer more & better features & content with every new release... Could it be because they compete with each other??  :p

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality. #NeverPreOrder

• kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Petrol Head
    edited July 16
    there will only be one full on official f1 game with all the nuts and bolt of what is a F1 season. Sure they might be a car or two  in different games but that it.
    Xbox one, controller
  • Bono00Bono00 Member New Car Smell
    The only one who brought us a good f1 game was EA. When I saw the SMS f1 arcade gameplay, and the poor SOny version of F1 game, I hope that Codies will have the exclusivity again
  • Sector4Sector4 Member Wheel Nut
    There are many other studios out there who would do a much better job at properly representing F1 than Codies

Like? 
    Sector4 said:
    There are many other studios out there who would do a much better job at properly representing F1 than Codies

Like? 
    If you seriously need to ask, you probably haven't seen the racing game industry in its full fledged variety yet, have you?!

edited July 16
    kevinkirk said:
    there will only be one full on official f1 game with all the nuts and bolt of what is a F1 season. Sure they might be a car or two  in different games but that it.
    Who dictates that this is the holy grail of F1 video games?

Back in the 90's up until the early 2000's there were several gaming studios producing F1 related products simultaneously whilst competing for supremacy.

Why should that be impossible to achieve now?

There's no reason to it, FOM / FIA would get easy advertisement to younger audiences and make a little fortune out of it as well, the quality of the products would automatically rise to at least a 100% just to stay competitive in the end and eventually everyone would make profits out of it, except the studios that are too shabby to give their best that is.....
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Petrol Head
    kevinkirk said:
    Who dictates that this is the holy grail of F1 video games?

Back in the 90's up until the early 2000's there were several gaming studios producing F1 related products simultaneously whilst competing for supremacy.

Why should that be impossible to achieve now?

There's no reason to it, FOM / FIA would get easy advertisement to younger audiences and make a little fortune out of it as well, the quality of the products would automatically rise to at least a 100% just to stay competitive in the end and eventually everyone would make profits out of it, except the studios that are too shabby to give their best that is.....
    Because thats what the word official means. 
    Xbox one, controller
This discussion has been closed.