Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Higher helmet cam with look to apex option

Having watched the video of Rosberg driving the 2016 Mercedes round Silverstone, I feel like the helmet cam such as this would be a good addition to the game. I've tried changing the camera sliders to try and match this camera but everything I try doesn't come close. The look to apex option also needs to be included just like the image above. I feel like it would make you a lot more accurate when cornering specifically looking at the apex leaving the car and other areas of the track to your peripheral vision.

Comments

• CombatphilippeCombatphilippe Member New Car Smell
    Im guessing that that is filmed with a camera on top of his helmet, So it's not representative for What the drivers see irl. 

I think codies have Done a good job with the cockpit camera, But the option to look at the apex Would be Quite Nice. 

Fun fact: drivers don't spend a lot of time looking at the apex, they Will look asap to the road ahead, to know How to position the car.

• Ujhelyi91Ujhelyi91 Member Unleaded
    Correct, on both 4 and 2 wheels the drivers look where they want to go 
  • kraM1tkraM1t Member Pit Crew
    You'll be happy in 2017, that's all I'm saying
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Unleaded
    Keeno said:

Having watched the video of Rosberg driving the 2016 Mercedes round Silverstone, I feel like the helmet cam such as this would be a good addition to the game. I've tried changing the camera sliders to try and match this camera but everything I try doesn't come close. The look to apex option also needs to be included just like the image above. I feel like it would make you a lot more accurate when cornering specifically looking at the apex leaving the car and other areas of the track to your peripheral vision.
    Project Cars has a amazing helmet cam feature in it, that's what Codies should try to achieve as well if they care about immersion and or have plans to implement VR in F1 2018 that is......
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Race Steward

That's what the drivers actually see. This was done with camera glasses so this is almost perfect.

That's the video I got it from. Ofcourse if u play on pc idk but u might be able to use track ir on the game, or the game will have the look to apex feature. Then to have the helmet lines over it probably not, but as that video shows the drivers don't see their helmet anyway. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • KeenoKeeno Member Wheel Nut
    Yeah I've seen the force india video and it looks great. I've finally been able to set up cockpit cam realistically but the look to apex is the only thing that is missing. I'm still wondering why real life F1 doesn't have a camera on the drivers helmet like in the Rosberg video. It would give us a great insight especially if the camera was HD just like that video. I know they've trialled it in the past but it's always been bad quality and not in the best position on the drivers helmet. Indycar do a great job of this 
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Race Steward
    I hate self promotion but it's the best example of f1 2016 with a helmet cam: 
    (Yes I was **** back then, I hadn't played for like a month lol) also idk why do many dislikes it confuses me on all my f1 2016 videos. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • ForeverchampsForeverchamps Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 16

Personally, I think this can be solved by having a wider field of view. When racing/driving in real life, you dont think about where you are looking - you do it naturally, so I cant really comment on whether I look at the apex or further down the road. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if it varies a little from driver to driver.

However, having a wide field of view solves this, as you can choose where to look, by simply moving your head a little to look at the corner of the screen, or probably just moving your eyes left or right. It would probably feel more realistic and natural than the screen moving the helmet.

• kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Petrol Head
    Keeno said:
    Yeah I've seen the force india video and it looks great. I've finally been able to set up cockpit cam realistically but the look to apex is the only thing that is missing. I'm still wondering why real life F1 doesn't have a camera on the drivers helmet like in the Rosberg video. It would give us a great insight especially if the camera was HD just like that video. I know they've trialled it in the past but it's always been bad quality and not in the best position on the drivers helmet. Indycar do a great job of this 
    these guys are pulling 6 Gs on road courses. Thats  well above what  indy cars does on a oval.It  would add weight to their helmet and make it that much more difficult on the neck, Also the last thing you want is an overweight helmet on the head in a crash.
    Xbox one, controller
  • AraqielAraqiel Member Unleaded
    edited July 17

Personally, I think this can be solved by having a wider field of view. When racing/driving in real life, you dont think about where you are looking - you do it naturally, so I cant really comment on whether I look at the apex or further down the road. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if it varies a little from driver to driver.

However, having a wide field of view solves this, as you can choose where to look, by simply moving your head a little to look at the corner of the screen, or probably just moving your eyes left or right. It would probably feel more realistic and natural than the screen moving the helmet.

The problem with this is it affects your spatial awareness and sense of speed in a weird way. In a real car you use your peripheral vision and depth perception a lot, and those just don't exist on a TV screen. You really want the field of view to reflect the area of your vision that the screen takes up to get it as close as possible.

As for look to apex it needs to be done with care because the only indication you have of your direction of travel is visual, and a variable offset between the direction you're looking and travelling affects the accuracy of your driving. In a real car you have G forces to let you know when you're changing direction as well as the peripheral vision. It'll be interesting to see how VR helps with this, but if you try looking out to the side and driving down the straight it's not exactly simple right now.
    edited July 17
    Araqiel said:

The problem with this is it affects your spatial awareness and sense of speed in a weird way. In a real car you use your peripheral vision and depth perception a lot, and those just don't exist on a TV screen. You really want the field of view to reflect the area of your vision that the screen takes up to get it as close as possible.

As for look to apex it needs to be done with care because the only indication you have of your direction of travel is visual, and a variable offset between the direction you're looking and travelling affects the accuracy of your driving. In a real car you have G forces to let you know when you're changing direction as well as the peripheral vision. It'll be interesting to see how VR helps with this, but if you try looking out to the side and driving down the straight it's not exactly simple right now.

To be perfectly honest, I have never had an issue with the F1 cockpit view anyway - I know that there is a field of view option in 2016, and you can move the view upwards as well, so I just thought this might be a quick solution for @Keeno

On 2016, I did need to widen the field of view slightly, but not to see the apex, merely so I could see my mirrors.

The trouble is, I could imagine it being a little off-putting to have the camera moving the helmet towards the apex. As I say, you naturally turn your head and move your eyes when racing in real life, even before you turn the wheel. I guess I do a similar thing when racing on the game, obviously looking for the apex on the screen. However, if the game also moves the helmet to the left/right, you will find yourself looking too far to the inside of the corner.

edited July 17
    Araqiel said:

To be perfectly honest, I have never had an issue with the F1 cockpit view anyway - I know that there is a field of view option in 2016, and you can move the view upwards as well, so I just thought this might be a quick solution for @Keeno

On 2016, I did need to widen the field of view slightly, but not to see the apex, merely so I could see my mirrors.

The trouble is, I could imagine it being a little off-putting to have the camera moving the helmet towards the apex. As I say, you naturally turn your head and move your eyes when racing in real life, even before you turn the wheel. I guess I do a similar thing when racing on the game, obviously looking for the apex on the screen. However, if the game also moves the helmet to the left/right, you will find yourself looking too far to the inside of the corner.

I actually found lowering the cockpit camera a little was the main thing that helped me in 2016; apart from being more realistic, it means you're looking along the direction of travel rather than slightly down on it, and I found that made a noticeable difference as far as spotting braking points and lines. With the look to apex it's not just that it might affect where you focus, it's that the movement on-screen is the only real direct feedback you have as to what the car is doing, so if you can't be sure whether it's the car or the camera moving it makes it a lot harder to convert that visual information into what you'd expect to feel from the car.
    edited July 17
    Araqiel said:
    Araqiel said:

I actually found lowering the cockpit camera a little was the main thing that helped me in 2016; apart from being more realistic, it means you're looking along the direction of travel rather than slightly down on it, and I found that made a noticeable difference as far as spotting braking points and lines. With the look to apex it's not just that it might affect where you focus, it's that the movement on-screen is the only real direct feedback you have as to what the car is doing, so if you can't be sure whether it's the car or the camera moving it makes it a lot harder to convert that visual information into what you'd expect to feel from the car.

Exactly, I hadn't even thought of that, but that is a really good and important point - you wouldn't know whether it is the car or the camera moving.

I cant remember whether I set the camera to higher or lower or just left it alone, but I think that @keeno was saying the camera was too low in the game, but as others have mentioned, it is probably more to do with the positioning of the camera on the helmet in the video. Likewise, the height of the helmet varies from driver to driver - I think Ocon is quite tall and sits rather high in the car, but I'm not sure whether this is taken into consideration when CM set the camera position for different cars.

It definitely varies from car to car as to what works best in-game (I think they're just set to a default position across the board so bodywork differences change the visibility) but the Force India vid above is pretty much perfect (the Rosberg one is an inch or so above eyeline). You should be looking right along the top of the chassis - if you can make out the sponsor logos it's higher than IRL. Ocon was sat way too high in the Manor to start with, to the extent that he could hardly drive it; there's maybe a difference in how upright he sits now because of his height though.
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited July 19
    Project Cars has a amazing helmet cam feature in it, that's what Codies should try to achieve as well if they care about immersion and or have plans to implement VR in F1 2018 that is......
    That daft helmet cam always reminds me of those films you watch when people look through binoculars and see two round circles cut out of a black background. Of course you don't really see those in real life, just like there aren't really any black bands letterboxing your view when you're wearing a race helmet.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
    That daft helmet cam always reminds me of those films you watch when people look through binoculars and see two round circles cut out of a black background. Of course you don't really see those in real life, just like there aren't really any black bands letterboxing your view when you're wearing a race helmet.

Yeh, completely agree I think Project Cars had 2 different helmet camera options - the one with the visor running in a strip across the screen was so unrealistic.
    FRACTURED said:

Well that could get annoying. That came straight from Codies graphics department, I did not mock this up in 2 minutes on MSPAINT.exe
    You should be looking under the bar with a proper eyeline at least but it is going to make it harder to use the default higher cockpit cam. The fact that we can't focus past things on a screen because there's no depth of field will make driving in cockpit view with the halo in-game a misery.
  • AdamFreemanAdamFreeman Member Wheel Nut
    If 2017 is a good game i shall skip f1 halo 2018 not atall happy with the halo I was ok with a screen but not this going to make driving a nightmare.
    edited July 21
    If 2017 is a good game i shall skip f1 halo 2018 not atall happy with the halo I was ok with a screen but not this going to make driving a nightmare.

Honestly, what is there to worry about? They are not going to add something that means the real F1 drivers can't see where they're going, so as long as the game's cockpit cam is fairly realistic, it will be the same for you using the game.

They wont make a game where there is a bar in front of the driver's eyeline.

Also, halo isn't just a special addition to the 2018 season, it will be in F1 for the all future seasons (or, more realistically, about 5 seasons before they go for completely closed cockpits)