Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Replay sound issues

ArcadexxArcadexx Member New Car Smell
Ok, for a while this as been bothering me..

On the replay, I can barely hear my own car...is this normal? Everyone experience this as well?

Overall the sound is a bit meh, while driving it's not so bad but during the replays....that's another story.

Comments

• Bono00Bono00 Member New Car Smell
    The same for me on PC since the 2015 edition.
  • ArcadexxArcadexx Member New Car Smell
    It's really weird and a bit off, breaks the immersion of watching it a bit. 

Dirt rally for ex as really good audio, I don't get why F1 as so many audio issues
  • davidjgurneydavidjgurney Member, Codemasters Wheel Nut
    Arcadexx said:

Dirt rally for ex as really good audio, I don't get why F1 as so many audio issues
    F1 has less development time than DiRT, and the F1 audio team has only been in this form since April 2016. We've taken some big steps forward with the audio this year.
    Audio Designer - F1
    I really hope so, for me at least sound is the major factor for immersion in a racing game.

Looking forward for august 25th
  • KTBNLKTBNL Member New Car Smell
    Arcadexx said:

F1 has less development time than DiRT, and the F1 audio team has only been in this form since April 2016. We've taken some big steps forward with the audio this year.
    Depends on what you mean with big step forward. The introduction of the V10 sounds which sound quiet good in the content that can already be found on the internet, I'd say "yes".

if you're talking about the sounds that we can hear from the available content regarding the car sounds of the 2017 livery, the replay sound (found in the RB Verstappen vid), the downshift sounds, the turbo whistles etc.? I, from what I have heard, wouldn't be calling it "big steps forward" to be honest. At least that's my opinion.. 
    Same, that video was a disappointment for the current liveries.

The V10 sounds very good, but the 2017 car sounded even worse than what we have now on the F1 2016 version.

I really want to be wrong and believe the sound will be raw, real and powerful. 
  • Cap10Cap10 Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 18
    yeah it been very poorly replicated(Tv cam) it doesn't sound right and lacks.. after 6 years they haven't got it right. hope this year it going to be massively improved.
    Post edited by Cap10 on
    Like, go pro on the car...record, done, it will sound better than what we have now in the 2016 version for sure, even on TV sounds better and it's not high quality.... Ofc I'm being ironical but you get the point
  • ForeverchampsForeverchamps Member Pit Crew
    edited July 18

May I ask why you find the replays so important? Do you commentate for a league?

Personally, I barely ever use the replay feature so I haven't really noticed the issue you talk about, my main worry is the sounds when driving and like you say I dont find it too bad. Obviously it would be great if everything is as realistic as possible, but I'm guessing CM put the replay feature to a slightly lower priority.

Also, which camera angle are you talking about? Don't forget the realistic sound for cockpit cam isn't the same as the sounds you hear on the TV - obviously the TV is on the T-cam, which is obviously higher than the driver and the sound likely changes as it passes through the bodywork etc.

Even for not being high quality.. Compare it to when playing a 128kb/s compared to the 320kb/s version of an MP3. The essential elements in the sounds will be the same. There's only a difference in sound quality.
    So I do hope we're wrong, but I'm afraid not.
    Maybe it would be an idea for 2018 to work with a 3rd party. Or at least an outside sound engineer to collaborate with. 
    I think it doesn't hurt for a smaller company, compared to the big studio's like EA, to not just be able to get the sound right for the community, but also to upgrade their own quality internally and maybe come up with different idea's to work around to certain recording restrictions when it comes to working with F1 Teams.
    I'm not overly critical about what as been done, let me note that first.

But seeing what is being made with mods on other games etc..it's hard not be a bit disappointed.

I get it if the game needs some sort of approval first, and working with a F1 license is tricky, the teams won't give out much info because even engine notes produce some kind of secret..I get it, but tweaking the sound a bit here and there should at least provide more immersion.

And by the way, I do love replays, it's important for me and for alot of people I reccon.

I'm just here wishing CM really have it better this year.
    Arcadexx said:
    I'm not overly critical about what as been done, let me note that first.

But seeing what is being made with mods on other games etc..it's hard not be a bit disappointed.

I get it if the game needs some sort of approval first, and working with a F1 license is tricky, the teams won't give out much info because even engine notes produce some kind of secret..I get it, but tweaking the sound a bit here and there should at least provide more immersion.

And by the way, I do love replays, it's important for me and for alot of people I reccon.

I'm just here wishing CM really have it better this year.
    I Agree :)
  • FlybyFlyby Member Unleaded
    edited July 20
    hoping for this sound.. keep fingers crossed . 

• kraM1tkraM1t Member Co-Driver
    Expect to be disappointed, because I've heard it lol
    lol..so used to it since 2010. I'll never understand why 
    kraM1t said:
    Expect to be disappointed, because I've heard it lol
    Are you talking about the trailer or you actually heard it from the beta?
    I'm not at liberty to say                               

so it doesn't sound like this ?  LOL     ..Will there ever be an answer as to why. ?
    I mean, it sounds vaguely like it... if you had a 3 inch thick sound damping foam over the microphone whilst it recorded lol