Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Interview Lee Mather

roberto28roberto28 Member Co-Driver
" I think it’s awesome that there are so many coming out this year. It’s great for me because I love racing games. So I think the biggest thing that sets F1 2017 apart from all the rest is that it’s an official game of an official season. So we’re not just a racing game, we’re a sports title as well. We replicate the world of Formula One. We replicate the locations, all the official tracks, we have all the official cars, we have all the official drivers. And beyond that we have the off-track stuff as well. We got locations and characters, and this is what people see in the world of Formula One. We give them not just a racing game, we give them full representation of the sport."

'official' is mentioned four times in the text. 'Official game of an official season'. 'We replicate the world of Formula One. We give them not just a racing game, we give them full representation of the sport.'

But what about the official TV HUD? 

Comments

• ForeverchampsForeverchamps Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 17

The official TV HUD is as it says in the name, for the TV. When you are playing F1 2017, you are not watching the F1, you are racing. The main thing is getting a good racing game, a good career mode, a good multiplayer system, a good penalty system and so on... - anything additional to that is a bonus, but the HUD is certainly not the most important thing.

Personally, I think they should remove most of the elements of the HUD and give the driver the information by flicking through the screen on the dash display - in real life, this is where drivers can get their gear information, fuel usage, lap times, temperatures and much of the other information that is available on the HUD. 

• roberto28roberto28 Member Co-Driver
    Ok, but then at least the Speedometer Should be official, compared to Codies one. Also, the actual drivers position can be changed to the official colours, and the fake cartoonish safety car sign might be changed. 
    edited July 17

roberto28 said:
    Ok, but then at least the Speedometer Should be official, compared to Codies one. Also, the actual drivers position can be changed to the official colours, and the fake cartoonish safety car sign might be changed. 

As I answered in the voting for the HUD discussion, I am all for the HUD as long as it is also possible for the driver to get info from the dash display, like I mentioned above. If I could have one or the other, I would go for the dash display, as it would make it a far more realistic experience, but if we can have both, then everyone is happy - those who want the HUD can have it on, and those who dont can turn it off.

roberto28 said:

As I answered in the voting for the HUD discussion, I am all for the HUD as long as it is also possible for the driver to get info from the dash display, like I mentioned above. If I could have one or the other, I would go for the dash display, as it would make it a far more realistic experience, but if we can have both, then everyone is happy - those who want the HUD can have it on, and those who dont can turn it off.

You mean the steering display? Would be great as well!
    roberto28 said:

roberto28 said:

You mean the steering display? Would be great as well!

Yes, I'm not sure if dash display is the correct wording, but I think it has been mentioned once or twice in commentary to differentiate between the old, simple lights display.
  • peyt0n89peyt0n89 Member Wheel Nut
    What is this big deal about the HUD anyway? I never cared about it.
    I smell like a new car.
    peyt0n89 said:
    What is this big deal about the HUD anyway? I never cared about it.
    But many people do care as shown by the poll result!!
  • Sector4Sector4 Member Wheel Nut
    Cool, finally some new information about the g-

Oh, it's another thread for whining about the HUD. 
  • Flazh92Flazh92 Member Wheel Nut
    its funny that codies still didnt answer or mention about the TV HUD at all. Yes Lee, it is an OFFICIAL F1 Game so it is very fair that we want an OFFICIAL HUD in an OFFICIAL LICENSED F1 Game. Is it really that hard to develop? Hire me, im sure I can find somebody to help yall out if 1 year is to short for your team to give us a "small" feature.
  • ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    Flazh92 said:
    its funny that codies still didnt answer or mention about the TV HUD at all. Yes Lee, it is an OFFICIAL F1 Game so it is very fair that we want an OFFICIAL HUD in an OFFICIAL LICENSED F1 Game. Is it really that hard to develop? Hire me, im sure I can find somebody to help yall out if 1 year is to short for your team to give us a "small" feature.
    http://www.codemasters.com/careers/job-search/?location=birmingham#view-results

There you go, knock yourself out.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Petrol Head
    Why don't we stop going on about the official hud please. we've seen it all enough and AS IF codies haven't seen it ffs. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited July 17

I think the word "official" is thrown around so much because it might be one of the only unique selling points that the F1 games offer over other racing games/sims. In terms of features, content, visuals, audio, & game-play, there are better racing games/sims, but none of them can offer an "officially-licensed" authentic F1 experience.

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality. #NeverPreOrder

• BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Petrol Head
    Oh no! Yet another whining topic about that stupid HUD that is only made for the convenience of spectators watching the game at home not for the drivers on the track  :s Why do people want to feel like they are watching a race instead of driving the track?!
  • liveTOwinliveTOwin Member Co-Driver
    edited July 18
    Oh no! Yet another whining topic about that stupid HUD that is only made for the convenience of spectators watching the game at home not for the drivers on the track  :s Why do people want to feel like they are watching a race instead of driving the track?!
    Who the fu** has said that the broadcast graphics are only for the spectator? In TV yes, what else?
    You can use it very perfect for gaming too. It's an official element of Formula 1. We never will be a real driver in this game but more realistic feelings can be given to us by an official F1-style HUD. It's known from television and nobody has to accuston to Codemasters HUD which is like a comic. It would be the same like now, but only updated with the official graphi layout. You are a HUD driver? It may not matter to you if the official HUD would be come. It's just a nother look. The only thing what it can be that you always criticize the official HUD is, that you dont like the official graphics. But thats your own thing. 88% of the community want the official HUD. Looks like that we dont get it in F1 2017, but thats why we are angry and louder this year. We dont get it since years.

Oh god, and now he is using the sh** example again, but FIFA is using official graphics from television broadcast too. So, this graphics aren't made for the spectator?  Sorry, but this is not a good reason. Like i said we are spectators too, just active spectators and we need lot of informations while gaming. What do you have against it?
  • auroborosauroboros Member Wheel Nut
    I'm not a spectator when I race. I'm a driver! It's an utterly dumb fetish to keep insisting it must be in otherwise it is not official. Who cares what EA does with FIFA. I have never bought a FIFA game and never will. The HUD will bring totally no improvements to the game than just looking like the same screen we see every 2 weeks on TV. No thank you. Codies HUD is okay. It's the tracks, the drivers and the cars that make the game official, not some dumb HUD that blocks your sight of view. So stop whining about Lee using the word official because he is right. It is the official F1 racing game with or without the HUD. This community is not legit enough to dictate what Codemasters should do. There are how many votes 100? 200? There are how many copies sold of F1 games? 1.000.000? Seems like 99,9% doesn't care about your poll  :p
    Definitely shows a trend though. I would'nt be suprised if all that have played past games yeilded a similar result if all voted. Besides, the folks who really care about the game are here, that must count for something.
  • BelgiumDudeBelgiumDude Member Petrol Head
    auroboros said:
    I'm not a spectator when I race. I'm a driver! It's an utterly dumb fetish to keep insisting it must be in otherwise it is not official. Who cares what EA does with FIFA. I have never bought a FIFA game and never will. The HUD will bring totally no improvements to the game than just looking like the same screen we see every 2 weeks on TV. No thank you. Codies HUD is okay. It's the tracks, the drivers and the cars that make the game official, not some dumb HUD that blocks your sight of view. So stop whining about Lee using the word official because he is right. It is the official F1 racing game with or without the HUD. This community is not legit enough to dictate what Codemasters should do. There are how many votes 100? 200? There are how many copies sold of F1 games? 1.000.000? Seems like 99,9% doesn't care about your poll  :p
    Definitely shows a trend though. I would'nt be suprised if all that have played past games yeilded a similar result if all voted. Besides, the folks who really care about the game are here, that must count for something.
    The people that like to **** and whine are here. There is always the loud vocal minority that like to complain. You find them on forums like these. People who are pleased with the game just don't feel the need to come complain. 
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    auroboros said:
    The people that like to **** and whine are here. There is always the loud vocal minority that like to complain. You find them on forums like these. People who are pleased with the game just don't feel the need to come complain. 
    Indeed mostly because they have nothing to complain about if they're happy.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited July 18

BelgiumDude said:
    Indeed mostly because they have nothing to complain about if they're happy.

SMH... By that 'logic,' if people are on the forums, then they're just a whiny minority not worth listening to; and if people are not on the forums, then there's nothing to listen to because they're 'pleased' with the game and there's no point trying to improve anything... So what's the point of a forum, why should game creators listen to anyone, and why are any of you here (except to try to bully people into silence just for harmlessly requesting features and/or fixes)? Who's to say the 'silent majority' wouldn't be even more happy if some improvements were made?

If you're in a discussion forum telling people to stop discussing things, then you're in the wrong place.

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality. #NeverPreOrder

This discussion has been closed.