Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Probably my biggest fear concerning F1 2017

Vettel's AI
In the last few games the performance of his AI was somewhat underwhelming with him being slower than Räikkönen's AI and horribly inconsistent.
In 2016 it was extremely up and down with one season he'd finish 7th vs Kimi's 3rd and another season he could be crowned WDC.
In his slow seasons he spins/crashes almost every race and has mostly terrible starts.
Within my 4 seasons of playing this inconsistency occurred 3 times and multiple Youtube series have only furthered my perception.
And seeing the first proper Race gameplay him spinning worries me all of that could happen again. 

I know this is quite nitpicky and not much of 2017 has been shown but especially this season with him being a real threat for the Mercedes this could break the game to an extent.
Therefore I hope you guys can finally fix this.
Or at least make the database modable.

Comments

• Ryder755Ryder755 Member New Car Smell
    edited August 10
    Is it really too much to ask for an realistic representation of a driver?
    I acknowledge it's a nitpick.
    And the reason it's my biggest concern is that at least for now everything else looks fine.

• ForeverchampsForeverchamps Member Wheel Nut
    edited August 10

I quite like the inconsistency in Career mode - it kind of adds a level of unpredictability. I don't want a career mode in 2016 where Rosberg is winning the 10 WDCs for Mercedes.

Also, many people have asked for young drivers to come into the team during career mode, but if this isn't possible due to licensing then surely this is the next best thing (having an unpredictable Vettel is like having a different teammate each season).

However, in quick race mode, I think they should be realistic. Also, I would love it if they have different characteristics - Verstappen a little more risky in overtaking etc.

• patronaspatronas Member New Car Smell
    We I like that the a1 have bad weekends just like the do in real life some times the have a good season and some bad seasons brings realism to the game in my oponion
  • Tia9595Tia9595 Member New Car Smell
    hope is better than the last year
    http://f1gamesitalia.altervista.org/    
    Unpredictabillity and off weekends are nice but it was extremly frustrating to witness how Vettel in perticular was either OP or consistently **** throughtout a season.
    edited August 10
    Also, dont forget career mode simulates 10 seasons, and in real life, 10 seasons will likely include major rule changes (09-13, 14-16, 17- and so on...). With this in mind, it is understandable that teams and drivers may have their ups and downs during the career mode.
    edited August 10
    First of all there are no rule changes in the game (assumptions are useless)
    And why should be any AI so inconsistent while its Teammate is consistently fast.
    And there's no single AI other than Vettel that has that many ups and downs...
    by far 

BTW I am fully fine with changing team performance 
    What annoyed me was Vettel being outscored in 3 out of 4 seasons by Räikkönen 
    Because that's not believable
    edited August 10
    Ryder755 said:
    And why should be any AI so inconsistent while its Teammate is consistently fast.

It isn't an assumption that there will be rule changes - it is fact. Over the past few decades, there has never been a long period of consistency within the rules - never 10 seasons. This is so the FIA can ensure no team dominates, and also, in the past they needed to introduce rules changes, as they wanted to slow the cars down for safety.

Also, just because Vettel is beating Raikonnen now, doesn't mean he always will - Raikonnen was very quick in 2012/13, and certainly outdrove the Lotus/Renault. Therefore, if they had been teammates then, perhaps he would have challenged Vettel, although Vettel's excellence at that time means he probably would still have had the edge.

The point I was trying to make is that some drivers suit certain rules, so there is likely to be seasons where one driver beats their teammates, while there are other seasons where they don't.

One final thing is that this takes away from the No.1/No.2 driver status - why would I take on a No.1 role at Ferrari in the game, as that would make me Raikonnen's teammate, and I wouldn't want this if I knew there was no way he could challenge - I would be forced to be a No.2 driver, as I would want a competitive teammate.

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Ryder755 said:

It isn't an assumption that there will be rule changes - it is fact. Over the past few decades, there has never been a long period of consistency within the rules - never 10 seasons. This is so the FIA can ensure no team dominates, and also, in the past they needed to introduce rules changes, as they wanted to slow the cars down for safety.

Also, just because Vettel is beating Raikonnen now, doesn't mean he always will - Raikonnen was very quick in 2012/13, and certainly outdrove the Lotus/Renault. Therefore, if they had been teammates then, perhaps he would have challenged Vettel, although Vettel's excellence at that time means he probably would still have had the edge.

The point I was trying to make is that some drivers suit certain rules, so there is likely to be seasons where one driver beats their teammates, while there are other seasons where they don't.

One final thing is that this takes away from the No.1/No.2 driver status - why would I take on a No.1 role at Ferrari in the game, as that would make me Raikonnen's teammate, and I wouldn't want this if I knew there was no way he could challenge - I would be forced to be a No.2 driver, as I would want a competitive teammate.

Indeed another prime example was when Ricciardo had a better season than Vettel because the car and rules suited him than Vettel more before Vettel left Red Bull for Ferrari. So drivers can have inconsistent periods just as any sportsman can.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

edited August 10
    I talk about rule changes in the game not in real life and there aren't any in the game therefore doing  some random drops in performance is BS
    On top of that Vettel's AI in perticualr was absolutley woeful because he mostly has terrible starts and attracts crashes(even in his better seasons)
    His Qualifying Performance was consistently better than Räikkönen therefore even if they accounted for rule changes his low performance wouldn´t make any sense.

There's isn't a Single Team where the performance of the drivers is so over the place.
    And I´ve never seen such a drop in the standings of any other driver compared to his teammate in the game.
    Rosberg and Hamilton were always close with either being abled to outscore the other one.
    Same goes for Verstappen and Ricciardo.
    And Grosjean was all 4 Seasons miles ahead of Gutierrez
    But Vettel was annihilated 3 times and won 1 time slightly.

The only thing I am asking for is an fair representation of every driver
    A bit up and down in Performance is perfectly fine but 2016 was in that regard broken.
    Ryder755 said:
    I talk about rule changes in the game not in real life and there aren't any in the game therefore doing  some random drops in performance is BS
    On top of that Vettel's AI in perticualr was absolutley woeful because he always had terrible starts and attracted crashes(even in his better seasos)
    His Qualifying Performance was consistently better therefore even if they accounted for rule changes his low performance wouldn´t make any sense.

And there's isn't a Single Team where the performance of the drivers is so over the place.
    Yes, but it has to be said, Vettel did have rather a lot of crashes last year - I wouldn't say many if any of them were his fault, but for some reason, he did appear to be a crash magnet, so that aspect isn't unrealistic for F1 2016.

All I was saying is that it is more unrealistic to have the same performance difference between teammates for a full 10 seasons. However, I would prefer it to work in a way where as drivers get older they get better, until they reach their peak and begin to lose pace - perhaps Verstappen, Vandoorne could start off in season 1 at their pace now, and improve gradually as they gain experience. Likewise, Alonso and Massa may lose performance as they get older and are likely to lose a bit of fitness etc. (Schumacher wasn't as quick 2010-12 as he was in his prime for example)
    edited August 10
    Ryder755 said:
    On top of that Vettel's AI in perticualr was absolutley woeful because he always had terrible starts and attracted crashes(even in his better seasos)
    His Qualifying Performance was consistently better therefore even if they accounted for rule changes his low performance wouldn´t make any sense.

And there's isn't a Single Team where the performance of the drivers is so over the place.
    Yes, but it has to be said, Vettel did have rather a lot of crashes last year - I wouldn't say many if any of them were his fault, but for some reason, he did appear to be a crash magnet, so that aspect isn't unrealistic for F1 2016.

All I was saying is that it is more unrealistic to have the same performance difference between teammates for a full 10 seasons. However, I would prefer it to work in a way where as drivers get older they get better, until they reach their peak and begin to lose pace - perhaps Verstappen, Vandoorne could start off in season 1 at their pace now, and improve gradually as they gain experience. Likewise, Alonso and Massa may lose performance as they get older and are likely to lose a bit of fitness etc. (Schumacher wasn't as quick 2010-12 as he was in his prime for example)
    Fair enough but he still has beaten Räikkönen therefore at least the tendency should be on his side

And I have no problem with the "worse" teammate outperforming the "better" Teammate but atleast it should be a slight bias towards the more successful driver.

As for your solution I completely agree.

Post edited by Ryder755 on