Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Any wheel players, who struggle to switch to pad?

heideldrumheideldrum Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
Hi, 
as a wheel player I'd like to improve my skills in playing with the pad, cause in some situations using the pad is the only way to play at all for me. 
I'm really so lousy in driving with the pad that I get frustrated very soon and leave it. My main problem is, that my steering is so insensitive and inconsistent. 
For now I turned TC on full and use auto gears, what I normally hate when I drive with the wheel. I just started using no braking assist and no abs, but just with turning off these, I lose 3sec / lap....
Any suggestions what's the best way to improve? 
Thanks for your help! 
MSI GT62VR 7RE - GTX 1070   Logitech G29

Comments

• haydn23haydn23 Member Petrol Head
    edited August 11
    Hi, 
    as a wheel player I'd like to improve my skills in playing with the pad, cause in some situations using the pad is the only way to play at all for me. 
    I'm really so lousy in driving with the pad that I get frustrated very soon and leave it. My main problem is, that my steering is so insensitive and inconsistent. 
    For now I turned TC on full and use auto gears, what I normally hate when I drive with the wheel. I just started using no braking assist and no abs, but just with turning off these, I lose 3sec / lap....
    Any suggestions what's the best way to improve? 
    Thanks for your help! 

Imo pad is the thing that's harder to master. I've been playing on wheel recently and I can't play on wheel very well but have been matching my pad times. Wheel is a lot easier in general, because it has more flexibility and it doesn't bite you as hard if you make a mistake. Insensitive is the massive input lag and inconsistency is also down to input lag and, you cannot rly ever correct a mistake u just have to deal with it.
    Ways to improve:
    Be smooth (pushing analog stick against top helps a lot)
    Remember what u did on wheel aswell, with trail braking and accelerating in a straight line
    Use the vibration, it'll take a few races to learn the patterns but it won't take long, trust me. They change it every year and i'll learn the patterns in my first race usually. 

Edit: I just realised how stupid accelerating in a straight line sounds. What I mean is do not go fully on the throttle till the car is straightened up, off curbs and u have changed up a gear if necessary.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • heideldrumheideldrum Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    Thanks @haydn23 !
    haydn23 said:

That means, your straight line position of the left stick is not the center, but so to speak 12 o'clock? I find it hard, to keep the stick in this position without steering left or right. But I'll try that again.

• Nickname85Nickname85 Member Unleaded
    Just curious, why do you have to switch to pad if you have a wheel? 

I have a wheel and will never return to using pad because i dont like it anymore.
  • haydn23haydn23 Member Petrol Head
    edited August 11
    Thanks @haydn23 !
    haydn23 said:

That means, your straight line position of the left stick is not the center, but so to speak 12 o'clock? I find it hard, to keep the stick in this position without steering left or right. But I'll try that again.

Ah sry I didn't make it very obvious. I tend to on entry keep it loose, so it's easier to make small adjustments. And then on exit I kinda lean it against the outside and slowly move the thumbstick up and round so you get a smooth linear progression. Then when you feel this has been completed you just let it return to the middle.
    This may help:

3:19 onwards is a good point to watch
    Edit: I forgot I had this, so may be worth a watch aswell. This was filmed in early 2015 so I'm no where near as smooth as I am now, cause 2016 taught me how to be smooth. But may help

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • heideldrumheideldrum Member, Drivers Wheel Nut

I have a wheel and will never return to using pad because i dont like it anymore.

I'm playing on my laptop and sometimes I'm away from home and cannot take the wheel with me.
  • Nickname85Nickname85 Member Unleaded

I'm playing on my laptop and sometimes I'm away from home and cannot take the wheel with me.
    Thanks for clearing that up:) 
  • Jaden728Jaden728 Member Unleaded
    2017 will have sliders to change linearity, saturation, etc for the pad so you should be able to get that smooth feeling there