Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Is there anyone still at it?

Comments

• TonyRickardTonyRickard Member Pit Crew
    I held off with no VR support, having loved DiRT Rally. I went back to using monitors for something else so decided to take the plunge this week even though the reviews about handling weren't great.

Took a while to get the controllers sorted (I have an OSW wheel and a FREX shifter wired into a button box) as the menus kept scrolling. Finally sorted it.

My enjoyment with DiRT Rally was almost exclusively the Welsh stages and older cars. So I was pleased to see more gravel events and the Your Stage option initially looks great.

My initial feel with the handling is a pleasant surprise, the additional feel of weight improving the overall sensation.

Overall at this early stage it feels like an extension of DiRT Rally rather than a throwback to DiRT3, which is what I was hoping for. I guess the test will be as I drive it more whether the repeating corners will limit the value of random "blind" stages I was hoping for over the DiRT Rally stages that become more like race circuit laps through familiarity. We shall see.
  • KurisKuris Member Unleaded
    Overall at this early stage it feels like an extension of DiRT Rally rather than a throwback to DiRT3, which is what I was hoping for. I guess the test will be as I drive it more whether the repeating corners will limit the value of random "blind" stages I was hoping for over the DiRT Rally stages that become more like race circuit laps through familiarity. We shall see.
    It gets repetitive very fast. In DR you learn stages and in this one you learn tiles and there are very few of those. Also, the pace notes are often too late even when you have them set to early as possible. So you really need to know the tile you're driving on.

When they first announced that they were working on this Your Stage feature I was really excited about it, because I think it would make rallying  even more interesting and possibly more challenging as well. But at the same time I was afraid that it's going to be a gimmick and all hype. What they said and what they actually delivered isn't even close. "Almost infinite-number of unique stages" Yeah, right... That was a big disappointment for me.

I think the idea behind Your Stage is solid, but with the current set of tiles it's just very repetitive and boring. After completing an event which was in Wales and it had 10 stages. I felt that I had driven the same stage ten times over. After every stage the only difference I felt was that the corners were in different order and the weather was different. I think it's because you can't really remember the stage you just drove. Everything looks the same and the next stage is going to look the same as well, so it's really hard to separate the stages from one to another.
    Thrustmaster T300RS, T3PA-PRO and TH8A shifter.
    Homepage: www.samitarvainen.com
    2D/3D Artist and sometimes I even make games.
  • danielofifidanielofifi Member Unleaded
    I really hope they will expand the Your Stage system in the DLC or the next game, it is an idea worth pursuing. There are many other elements in Dirt 4 that I hope won't get abandoned in the future: the cool service area, management options and an ocean of small details for immersion that make you feel like a real rally driver. Today I noticed that weather is actually changeable- on a stage in Wales, I started without the need for wipers and finished in rain showers. 

I know the game isn't perfect, the AI goes from pretty easy to crazy difficult for no reason, some cars and classes are undriveable..

but goddamn it when I drive my Fiesta R5 or Subaru N4 I actually like it more than Dirt Rally. It feels so good with the wheel. 
  • DarkRedslayerDarkRedslayer Member Race Steward
    I finally got the game and tried it, but the physics just don't feel right and the game isn't fun as a result. Dirt 3 wasn't realistic, but it still managed to feel 'right enough' to be fun. This game though, its like every car has snap understeer and far too much grip on the rear wheels. I have asked for a steam refund after playing it just shy of 2 hours. Once I reached the point where I bought my first 4wd car, and it still just drove like a stone I just lost interest.
  • Mystx24Mystx24 Member Unleaded
    I dont think the problem is snap understeer, more of the cars in default snap oversteer and if over corrected it feels like understeer, iv sorted out handling issues with setup, if anyone needs car setup assistance, message me on here or check out Mystx24 on youtube iv got tuneing vids up.

This game does deserve more praise than it's given.
  • DarkRedslayerDarkRedslayer Member Race Steward
    edited September 2017
    Mystx24 said:
    I dont think the problem is snap understeer, more of the cars in default snap oversteer and if over corrected it feels like understeer, iv sorted out handling issues with setup, if anyone needs car setup assistance, message me on here or check out Mystx24 on youtube iv got tuneing vids up.

I'm 100% certain its a snap understeer issue. Maybe its something in the setup but most cars I tried snap into understeer without you counter-steering. I've gone into a left hander, and turned in, ebraked to get the tail out, and got on the throttle when the car was facing the way I wanted, at nearly full lock left, and still the car snapped back to the right. 

Front wheel drive cars are useless because it's really bad with them. They understeer under throttle even if you have the E-brake pulled the whole time lol. The cars simply do not handle realistically. Dirt Rally was FAR more  accurate, even though the cars would bounce like a basketball.

If you like it thats fine, but the handling model is too arcade for my tastes.
  • Mystx24Mystx24 Member Unleaded
    I respect your outlook on it, we will have to agree to disagree, i think its harsh to say it is arcade though.

Try this if you ever play again put torque bias to 40% and front lsd lock anywhere from 20% to 35% set both cambers all the way left.front end will not push hardly at all underpower. 

Like it to be known i am super dissapointed that this could be great game has basically tanked. Iv got 180 hrs now so i am enjoying it alot. 

• mkgamernfsmkgamernfs Member New Car Smell
    I'm not playing D4 anymore, I went back to the old CMR and WRC games which are miles better. There's no point in playing the game after you beat the triple crown series anyway.

The Tranceporter

• BorisTheFrogBorisTheFrog Member Unleaded
    I'm not playing D4 anymore, I went back to the old CMR and WRC games which are miles better. There's no point in playing the game after you beat the triple crown series anyway.
    You could have a go at completing all the events in 'fearless' mode and gaining a full set of gold star trophies. I'm 11 short (4x silver and 7x 4th or worse) in all disciplines and getting to that stage can easilly another 30 hours of gameplay.

• danielofifidanielofifi Member Unleaded
    edited September 2017

Front wheel drive cars are useless because it's really bad with them. They understeer under throttle even if you have the E-brake pulled the whole time lol. The cars simply do not handle realistically. 
    I'm not an expert, but isn't it how fwd cars behave in real life?

I think it's a stretch to say that the handling is arcade in Dirt 4. Yes, there is too much grip on the rear wheels, but the aerodynamics and car weight seem much more realistic than in Dirt Rally. Also, compare the tarmac driving in two games - the Germany seemed so floaty and arcade'y I couldn't stand it (for some reason, Hillclimb tarmac was ok), Spain is much better in terms of handling. It almost feels like Richard Burns Rally's tarmac sometimes.

And again, Codemasters said that while they acknowledge the problems with some classes, they feel they got pretty close to a real experience with R5 cars. I think it's true, because those cars drive like magic regardless of the terrain. 
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    Mystx24 said:

I'm 100% certain its a snap understeer issue. Maybe its something in the setup but most cars I tried snap into understeer without you counter-steering. I've gone into a left hander, and turned in, ebraked to get the tail out, and got on the throttle when the car was facing the way I wanted, at nearly full lock left, and still the car snapped back to the right. 

Front wheel drive cars are useless because it's really bad with them. They understeer under throttle even if you have the E-brake pulled the whole time lol. The cars simply do not handle realistically. Dirt Rally was FAR more  accurate, even though the cars would bounce like a basketball.

If you like it thats fine, but the handling model is too arcade for my tastes.
    LOL, that is how FWD Cars handle, they have a lot of understeering and you need to control it with your left foot and by modulating the throttle. R2 and KitCar are really really good recreated
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    Take a look at this arcade game that FWD Cars understeer a lot

Oh it was a real footage
  • Smithers1968Smithers1968 Member Unleaded
    I'm avoiding it for now because I'm also playing DR and SLRE. I find that if I play D4 too much I struggle to adapt to the others. DNFd last week's 1980's when I tried to save a slide by stamping on the accelerator and instead of snapping back into line the back end went right out and I reversed off a cliff.
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Iv just downloaded a different SLRE demo following the above comments & have to admit, it's less frustrating to play than what D4 is... :(
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    im considering getting the new forza which is kinda unreal :#
  • LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Co-Driver
    KevM said:
    Iv just downloaded a different SLRE demo following the above comments & have to admit, it's less frustrating to play than what D4 is... :(
    Be careful with that. I remember playing the PS4 demo and the handling was much better in the actual game. I love SLRE's handling. It feels the most accurate and satisfying of the current gen. Take the weight and aero of D4 (which I think are a huge improvement over DR's lunar physics) and combine it with the satisfaction of DR's handling, then make it less forgiving and you can pretty much sum up how SLRE feels. My main nitpicks are crappy FFB on a lot of the FWD cars and a large deadzone on my G29 on asphalt. Too bad the graphics and sounds suck so bad, but the plethora of cars, the physics & the challenging stages make it quite an enjoyable game.
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Yeah, the steering input is fairly laggy and the handling quite vague, BUT, it does react as you'd expect a car to and I can live with that.
    I remember the first demo was fairly bad.  This one is ok.

BUT (again)...
    My daughter wanted a go on a Rally game, so iv fired DiRT Rally up for her.  I'm sitting watching her fumble through Bidno in a Sierra Cos and it's easy to see why we've all become so critical.  The game is immense!  The attention to detail, visually and aurally, the handling etc.  It won't be equalled for a very long time I feel...

• WhiskeydrifterWhiskeydrifter Member New Car Smell
    I still play, but pretty much only when I'm streaming it and I only do the online events daily, weekly, etc.
  • madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    I'm avoiding it for now because I'm also playing DR and SLRE. I find that if I play D4 too much I struggle to adapt to the others. DNFd last week's 1980's when I tried to save a slide by stamping on the accelerator and instead of snapping back into line the back end went right out and I reversed off a cliff.
    Why would you stamp on the accelerator to stop a slide in a 1980's rear wheel drive car? All this would do is spin the back end out, it definately wouldn't pull you out of a slide in real life.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    KevM said:
    Be careful with that. I remember playing the PS4 demo and the handling was much better in the actual game. I love SLRE's handling. It feels the most accurate and satisfying of the current gen. Take the weight and aero of D4 (which I think are a huge improvement over DR's lunar physics) and combine it with the satisfaction of DR's handling, then make it less forgiving and you can pretty much sum up how SLRE feels. My main nitpicks are crappy FFB on a lot of the FWD cars and a large deadzone on my G29 on asphalt. Too bad the graphics and sounds suck so bad, but the plethora of cars, the physics & the challenging stages make it quite an enjoyable game.
    My eyes and ears bleeds too much to give SLRE any longer attention. And RWD cars are laughable.