Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[PC] [G27] Double downshift issue

WillsWills Member New Car Smell
Hi,

I have a problem where the game appears to interpret a single downshift as multiple. This open occurs sometimes. I believe I started seeing this issue near the tail end of the beta, and it's still present in the final version of the game.

I'm using a Logitech G27 as I have done since F1 2010.

I guess this *could* be a hardware issue, but it doesn't feel like it. I'll try F1 2016 shortly and see if I can recreate the issue there...

Has anyone else had this issue?
Post edited by Wills on

Comments

• USPBauer24USPBauer24 Member Unleaded
    Career mode? If so, the gear box will wear and you will skip gears. It's meant to happen.
  • WillsWills Member New Car Smell
    Nope not career mode.

This is not a result of component wear, as I'm not even doing career mode and the MFD says the gearbox is perfectly healthy..
  • 07portera07portera Member New Car Smell
    I have a similar issue with my g29 but it is on the upshift where it either ignores the shift or double shifts and it is on every game mode and car
    Just tested in 2016 and don't appear to have the same problem... I think this is a bug in 2017 - perhaps specific to Logitech wheels? 

Here's a video (although it's hard to show without showing a feed of the wheel too)...

https://youtu.be/ra0pAkzUVb4
  • EnsiFerrumEnsiFerrum Member Pit Crew
    Drivers and firmware are up to date?    
    "I find your lack of communications disturbing" - Lord Darth Vader to Codemasters Community Manager
    Body is n characters too short. <- THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!
    Once with professionals ...

Sys-Spec:
     Intel Core i7-6700K / 32GB RAM / ASUS Stryx GTX 1080 A8G / Creative Soundblaster Z
     Fanatec CSL Elite / Fanatec CSL Wheel P1/ Fanatec CSW Formula Carbon /
     Fanatec CSP v3 / Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake /
     Thrustmaster TH8A /
     TrackIR
     Windows Version 1703 (Build 16288.1000)
    Yes. The G27 has not had any Driver or Firmware updates for a long time now.
  • ScargoScargo Member New Car Smell
    I have gear up and down problems I believe happened after the 1.5, 1.6 patches but also it feels like Steam's lag is doing it.
  • ScottbezzaScottbezza Member New Car Smell
    Guys with the downshift double downshift problem, check the Logitech forums there's a solution where you can go in to the Logitech profiler and change a setting to stop it doing that.

the issue with upshifts not registering, I sent my wheel back to Logitech and they replaced it, been fine ever since.

hope this helps
  • BoothJoeBoothJoe Member New Car Smell
    Just to add. I have a G27 and have never seen anything like this in any of the racing games I have done or do now.
    So I created a new in-game controller profile based on the games stock G27 profile (as I had done originally) and the issue seems to have gone now. I had to manually copy over my control settings but at least it works now.
    False alarm...  It's still happening....
  • CmRachelCmRachel Member, Codemasters Unleaded
    Hi @Wills, what button do you have downshift assigned to? What setting is your Gearbox Assist set to?

Someone had a double input issue with the G29:
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/56453/f1-2017-pc-logitech-g29-red-rotary-dial-double-inputs-if-mapped-to-eg-fuel-mix-shortcuts#latest

edited October 10
    CmRachel said:
    Hi @Wills, what button do you have downshift assigned to? What setting is your Gearbox Assist set to?

Someone had a double input issue with the G29:
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/56453/f1-2017-pc-logitech-g29-red-rotary-dial-double-inputs-if-mapped-to-eg-fuel-mix-shortcuts#latest

Hi @CmRachel - thanks for chipping in to help :)

I'm using the standard assignment of the left paddle for downshift. 

I just ran a test with today's patch (1.9) and the issue still occurs.

I've noticed that it's normally the same corners in the track where the issue occurs, and when it occurs it's like the game is shifting once when the paddle is pressed and again as it is released.

Here's a recording of the issue - I appreciate it's difficult to see which shifts are the double shifts so I've added timestamp comments which should jump you to the location in the video. Turn 2 was probably the worst offender of this issue when testing at Japan.

I'm on PC and running with all assists off.
    Hi @Wills, you forgot to upload the recording of the video.

I suggest assigning downshift to a different button and seeing if you still have the same problem. It might be a problem with your wheel's left paddle specifically. Are you sure you have the Gearbox set to Manual, not Automatic, when this issue occurs? It might be that something you're doing is causing some settings to reset which we have seen in Multiplayer, though I think that was for a different wheel.

Which modes does this issue occur in? 
    Whoops, sorry... Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=_LYf3YCSyzY

Yes the gearbox is definitely set to manual. I don't think it's an issue with my paddle I haven't seen this problem in other games.

This is on a Logitech G27 on PC.

I'll do some more tests and let you know what I find.

Many thanks
  • BoothJoeBoothJoe Member New Car Smell
    I have a G27. I have never had an issue with double shifting. I have a couple of questions. Do you use a separate profile within the Logitech Profiler for each game you have or do you use the default settings for all of them? Do you run any keyboard enhancers (autohotkey, g-hotkey, etc.)? Do all the buttons react normally when you run joy.cpl from the command line?  Have you checked the G27 xml stuff in the hardware file to make sure everything there looks correct? Have you ever removed your steering wheel (which could lead to a tight wire that gets flaky when turning the wheel)? 
    @Wills, the video link still doesn't work :) (the URL says Edit)
    @BoothJoe, thanks! 

I think the issue is related to something @BoothJoe has suggested it could be and it's not something QA have been able to reproduce.
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Pit Crew
    edited October 13
    Guys with the downshift double downshift problem, check the Logitech forums there's a solution where you can go in to the Logitech profiler and change a setting to stop it doing that.

the issue with upshifts not registering, I sent my wheel back to Logitech and they replaced it, been fine ever since.

hope this helps
    A link would help. I have some missed shifts in F1 2017 and it seems particular tracks and corners are the worst. For example BAH final corner 8>4, I sometimes get 3 shifts for 4 presses, no I don't spam the shifter but I am quick or else you can't brake late.

Trying to find anything on the Logitech forum is like trying to find stuff on the CM forum, unless you've starred it, good luck.

I will signpost the way to create a F1 2017 profile in LGS, it's here;

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/Create-and-scan-for-profiles-with-Logitech-Gaming-Software

Post edited by steviejay69 on
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com
    S14 F1 '17 F7 Car: Ferrari Team-mate: Partyfuchs
    PC: i7-4770|8GB|GTX970 4GB|Win10x64|Logitech G920 (GTEye Spring Mod)/G430 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig

Sorry - Correct link: 

After more testing I think this might be a hardware issue on my end after all. I swapped the mappings for up and downshift and I was able to replicate a double shift on the upshift (using the downshift padle with changed mapping).

Perhaps other games have some sort of minimum double shift time prevention mechanism built in and that's why I don't see issues in those games.

I took my wheel apart to check the microswitch out and I'm planning on swapping the microswitch for upshift to a new one. 

Thanks for all the help, I'll report back if swapping out hardware doesn't fix my issue.

Thanks

• steviejay69steviejay69 Member Pit Crew
    Wills said:
    Sorry - Correct link: 

After more testing I think this might be a hardware issue on my end after all. I swapped the mappings for up and downshift and I was able to replicate a double shift on the upshift (using the downshift padle with changed mapping).

Perhaps other games have some sort of minimum double shift time prevention mechanism built in and that's why I don't see issues in those games.

I took my wheel apart to check the microswitch out and I'm planning on swapping the microswitch for upshift to a new one. 

Thanks for all the help, I'll report back if swapping out hardware doesn't fix my issue.

Thanks

Only suggestion which might save you a microswitch is that if you tape all bar the switch end it stops the switch body short-circuiting and registering the shift falsely, works for some and not for others.

I get downshift issues, but it's missed shifts rather than double-shifting. I have never had double-shifting.

As an aside are you using auto-gears? It used to allow manual (override on) downshifting but would only change up using auto selection. Not sure on this year's game, but I only use manual (and suggested) which is still manual shifting.

I do think your re-mapping does rather point to the switch either shorting or being worn/faulty.
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com
    S14 F1 '17 F7 Car: Ferrari Team-mate: Partyfuchs
    PC: i7-4770|8GB|GTX970 4GB|Win10x64|Logitech G920 (GTEye Spring Mod)/G430 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig