Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Future of DiRT 4 - The road ahead?

So, now that F1 2017 is out in the open, all the manpower is back at D4. (Does this sentence need a questionmark?)

Can we expect
- Communication / Road Books?
- Bugfixes?
- Odd-feature corrections (more than 4 setup slots, getting the chief engineer meds for his volatile mood, being able to use >85 setups in Dirtfish, etc...)?
- The big physics update?
- Leagues?
- Revealing plans for future DLCs (cars, stages, locations, RX tracks, patterns)?

Comments

• FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    Also polished Pacenotes, specially after a long straight.... And wrong Pacenotes
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    So, now that F1 2017 is out in the open, all the manpower is back at D4. (Does this sentence need a questionmark?)
    Possibly: there has been no official word from CM on future support and the DiRT team have been noticeable by their absence on the forum. 

Really hope we start to see some activity now F1 2017 has been released!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Wheel Nut
    It's been nearly three months since release. Too little, too late. I don't see anything getting me back into D4, which I couldn't get in to in the first place. My DR league is still going strong, and those that got physical copies of D4 have already traded them in or sold them. Those of us with digital copies don't play. If clubs are ever implemented we might give that a try.

I'm on PS4 Pro and the game does not look good and still has many bugs present from launch. Lack of content, boring and repetitive Your Stage and wonky Simulation physics have completely turned me off and the lack of communication from Codemasters is what has made me give up on D4. I unplugged my G29 and switched to gamepad with Gamer handling just to get some kind of minimal entertainment value until I get the platinum (Triple Crown Landrush is all I have left). I don't see myself touching the game again after that.

I had high hopes for D4 thinking they were going to incorporate DiRT Rally into the DiRT series but it's been a big disappointment and the complete lack of support has driven me away, maybe forever.
  • WeamDreaverWeamDreaver Member Pit Crew
    Another problem is that the slices of cake of "money spending racing game customers" are getting smaller and smaller over the next few weeks and month.

2 weeks from now, WRC 7 is going to be released on all three plattforms.
    3 weeks from now, pcars 2 is going to be released on all three plattforms, they have rallycross too
    4 weeks from now, Forza 7 is going to be released on Xbone and PC.
    7 weeks from now, GT Sport is going to be released on PS4.
    11 weeks from now, Need for Speed is going to be released on all three plattforms.

Although not all of these titles being direct competition, they all cater to the racing crowd. And I bet the majority of DiRT customers have always been a part of the racing crowd rather than being rally-game-exclusive customers.
    I can barely see a spot fitting for DLC sales, maybe in about 6 weeks, more likely in 2 or 3 month.

• mesamesa Member Co-Driver
    I'm tired to read paid comments about how D4 is better than Dirt Rally
    I will switch to WRC 7 / pCars2 soon, cause this game has no future

- mesa -

https://www.facebook.com/MesasArtworks
    More liveries / mods of mine at
    http://mesasartworks.hu

Logitech G27 w OMP 350 mm

• ScyyScyy Member Co-Driver
    mesa said:
    Is that really how you think?

"They like something I don't. They must be shills!!"
    The Hypno Toad on Leaderboards
  • MarshymallerMarshymaller Member New Car Smell
    I think it's really a question of whether or not Codies sees this game as one they can still get more profit out of or if they're just going to dump support and move on. The radio silence is a pretty good sign that they honestly aren't sure whether to continue supporting the game, and with F1 2017 just coming out it's entirely possible they might decide to focus on building content for that, finish up clubs for D4 and call it a day. Still, nothing gained by worrying about possible futures, we just have to see what happens.
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Petrol Head
    WRC 7 actually used paid comments to promote their game in the past. It was WRC 5 I believe. They did that on Polish forums, guy who did it didn't even bother changing his nickname. WRC 7 is going to be crap just as previous games were. D4 is disappointment and I will never trust Codies again, but WRC is just another league. 
    mesa said:
    They don't pay yo me, I express my opinions, good luck play a game with no suspension (WRC 7) if you know just a little about car physics, watching the video oficial the c3 at el cóndor, the physics are rubbish Even CMR 1 has better physics, the car just bounces like it has no dampers, just some super soft springs, and anyone can't drive it properly and looks like input lag, but it is that the car is bouncing and sometimes all the weight is in the front and the car turns quickly where the driver is aiming and when the car bounces back, you can turn and the car would do nothing...
    But you still prefer that than D4, WRC 7 physics Will be the same garbage physics that WRC 6 has, you pull the handbrake and magically the car slides after you release it... And many many more physical rubbish, but you don't like D4 because some Cars have a lot of grip, which would be easier to fix than rebuilding the whole suspension simulation
    With all due respect, it would be prudent not to judge a game that hasn't even been released yet. Just because a studio makes a bad game doesn't mean they can't follow it up with a good game, and vice versa. Should have been one of the lessons we all learned from DiRT 4.
  • sean0393sean0393 Member New Car Smell
    If Colin McRae were still alive he would be saying 'what do you mean, a rally game where you can't actually slide or drift? ****. I am ashamed to have actually pre ordered this pile of rubbish. Dirt rally was way more enjoyable than this crap. Project cars 2 will hopefully give me my rallying thrills for the next year cause this series is going nowhere till then
    sean0393 said:
    If Colin McRae were still alive he would be saying 'what do you mean, a rally game where you can't actually slide or drift? ****. I am ashamed to have actually pre ordered this pile of rubbish. Dirt rally was way more enjoyable than this crap. Project cars 2 will hopefully give me my rallying thrills for the next year cause this series is going nowhere till then
    To be fair, Project CARS 2 will not have rally. It will have Rallycross, which DiRT 4 has, and in fact it is excellent in DiRT 4 barring the fact that there are only five tracks. I am also angry about pre-ordering but we have to give credit where credit is due: rallycross physics are great.
    edited August 30
    sean0393 said:
    I can slide properly in the R5, and in the R2 too (and it is a FWD), and also a tip mate, Sideways is cool but not fast
    Fedemaisonnave said:
    Sideways is cool but not fast
    This is only true in circuit racing. The very nature of modern 4WD rally cars require the back end to step out as the driver manufactures traction during the slide to be fast through corners.
    edited August 30
    Fedemaisonnave said:
    Sideways is cool but not fast
    This is only true in circuit racing. The very nature of modern 4WD rally cars require the back end to step out as the driver manufactures traction during the slide to be fast through corners.
    The tail of 4WD cars slides, but you need to keep it as clean as possible, the faster you can go without sliding, the faster you go, ask any rally driver, or watch some onboards if any R5 driver that goes drifting through the corners like @sean0393 said, Even in really slippery conditions they try to keep it steady, when you are sliding too much the car is deccelerating
    @Fedemaisonnave I agree with your assessment of R5 cars and the fastest way through a corner. They enter corners at lower speeds than a WRC, have less power/torque and less downforce. If anything, this class seems too easy to slide in D4. Perhaps they made them like that because of the lack of modern WRC cars.
  • SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    sean0393 said:
    Maybe you have some different D4 than me, but I slide my cars all over the place. Let me show you a clip right here, with steering input. What you can see is, that I'm steering infront the corner and have steering somewhat more straight during the corner. This is driving style only fast on actual loose surface and not on tarmac.

I do agree, that D4 in some cars feels more grippy, than I think it should be in the real world. But you DO indeed still drive on properly loose surfaces in D4 which reward loose surface driving style. It's a very grippy gravel yes, but no tarmac.