Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

AI Strategy

madting22madting22 Member New Car Smell
Hey Guys. How are you enjoying the game? Its been terrific for me but I have found the AI strategy in changeable WET/DRY conditions this year to be somewhat baffling. I'm doing a HAAS career mode. 102 (ULTIMATE) difficulty. I won a GP in only my second race. 50% distance. The race started dry, then rain arrived half way but the track returned to dry for the last 5-6 laps. I was I think the last car onto inters and run one set through the wet period. My wear before stopping for slicks was around 50-55%. But the AI however took 2 sets of inters. They didn't seem to go very far on the first set of inters considering my wear rate and grip was fine. This handed me allot of free positions. But the real problem came when the track was drying. My Engineer called me in for Dry tyres so I agreed as the track was visibly drying but not one AI car made the same stop. Amazingly they continued on inters for a further 3 or 4 laps. They lost huge chunks of time doing this. In that time I managed to fly from 8th to 1st overtaking many faster cars and doing lap times ALLOT faster. With 2 laps they finally pitted and gifted me the win by 30 seconds. All doing 4 stops compared to my 3 stops. Quite strange. Also I fond them to be very conservative under the Safety Car. They often stay out, only to pit within 5 laps of the safety car going in. Also handing out free spots. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Trux74Trux74 Member Unleaded
    madting22 said:
    Hey Guys. How are you enjoying the game?
    It's been terrific for me but I have found the AI strategy in changeable WET/DRY conditions this year to be somewhat baffling.

I'm doing a HAAS career mode using 102 (ULTIMATE) difficulty. I won a GP in only my second race on 50% distance.
    The race started dry, then rain arrived half way but the track returned to dry for the last 5-6 laps. I was I think the last car onto inters and run one set through the wet period.
    My wear before stopping for slicks was around 50-55%. But the AI however took 2 sets of inters. They didn't seem to go very far on the first set of inters considering my wear rate and grip was fine.
    This handed me allot of free positions, But the real problem came when the track was drying. My Engineer called me in for Dry tyres so I agreed as the track was visibly drying but not one AI car made the same stop.
    Amazingly they continued on inters for a further 3 or 4 laps.
    They lost huge chunks of time doing this. In that time I managed to fly from 8th to 1st overtaking many faster cars and doing lap times ALOT faster. Within 2 laps they finally pitted and gifted me the win by 30 seconds by all doing 4 stops compared to my 3 stops.

Quite strange.
    Also I fond them to be very conservative under the Safety Car. They often stay out, only to pit within 5 laps of the safety car going in again handing out free spots.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
    I added paragraphs as I found that difficult to read. No offence.
    Yes. It's quite a big problem and can literally ruin a race for me. 
  • fstarredfstarred Member Unleaded
    Yes, the AI is bugged with the AI pits strategy, I really hope a patch will be released regarding this issue
  • madting22madting22 Member New Car Smell
    edited September 2
    Trux74 said:
    madting22 said:
    Hey Guys. How are you enjoying the game?
    It's been terrific for me but I have found the AI strategy in changeable WET/DRY conditions this year to be somewhat baffling.

I'm doing a HAAS career mode using 102 (ULTIMATE) difficulty. I won a GP in only my second race on 50% distance.
    The race started dry, then rain arrived half way but the track returned to dry for the last 5-6 laps. I was I think the last car onto inters and run one set through the wet period.
    My wear before stopping for slicks was around 50-55%. But the AI however took 2 sets of inters. They didn't seem to go very far on the first set of inters considering my wear rate and grip was fine.
    This handed me allot of free positions, But the real problem came when the track was drying. My Engineer called me in for Dry tyres so I agreed as the track was visibly drying but not one AI car made the same stop.
    Amazingly they continued on inters for a further 3 or 4 laps.
    They lost huge chunks of time doing this. In that time I managed to fly from 8th to 1st overtaking many faster cars and doing lap times ALOT faster. Within 2 laps they finally pitted and gifted me the win by 30 seconds by all doing 4 stops compared to my 3 stops.

Quite strange.
    Also I fond them to be very conservative under the Safety Car. They often stay out, only to pit within 5 laps of the safety car going in again handing out free spots.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
    I added paragraphs as I found that difficult to read. No offence.
    Yes. It's quite a big problem and can literally ruin a race for me. 
    @Trux74 you're right with the paragraphs! Thanks for that! And me too. It takes away from the overall experience for sure.
    Post edited by madting22 on
  • DarkMarkXDDarkMarkXD Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 4
    I've experienced two issues with AI strategies in career mode in only my first two races with Toro Rosso, 50% race 101 difficulty (resulting in me winning both races...)

Australia - Safety car came out around lap 10. I pit getting fresh tyres. new front wing. I come out, in position 20 behind the SC queue. During and after the safety car period, I notice the AI then pitting for their tyres, around the normal time they would with their original strategy. When the safety car came in, I was in first place within a few laps, a merc then caught up with me some time later so I defended heavily for the final laps for the win.

China - After a few laps my engineer mentions that rain is on the way and will last 10 minutes. As soon as DRS gets disabled, ALL the AI decide the pit that lap or the next for inters. I stay out on my dry tyres, as the rain isn't very heavy and won't last long. I end up being over 20 seconds ahead of the next driver. As soon as DRS is enabled again, the AI ALL pit again, I pit next lap for my second load of dry tyres. Again I stay ahead until the final laps until a merc catches me, so I just defend heavily again for the win.

I'm loving being first in the championship, but it's very unrealistic and annoying. I was hoping patch 1.06 would have sorted this, but I can't see it being mentioned in the patch notes... @jennyannem @F1Support
    Post edited by DarkMarkXD on
    PSN - DarkMark_XD | Still not an F1 game BETA tester after 2 attempts | Founder of the PS4 XD Gaming Leagues
  • NagromNagrom Member Wheel Nut
    AI don't take account Safety car or weather change in strategy, it's ruining the fun in some races.
    It's not so hard to code, isn't it ? :/
  • patronaspatronas Member Unleaded
    Im not even getting the safety car and the a1 stragergy does take the fun out of it doing 50 percent races me self on xbox dont even this the a1 are taking damage in my career from the looks of it when its on sim
  • Imhotep222Imhotep222 Member New Car Smell
    @F1Support

I've had the same - in a McLaren in Baku (season 1, v1.5) I was the only car to make a slightly early stop under the SC which dropped me to the back of the field, but everyone else pitted just a lap or two after the SC ended. This gave me a lead of about 10 seconds with 9 laps to go (50% distance) so I was set for a victory in a McLaren at a power-sensitive track... I only didn't because there was another SC just before the end so I lost my lead.

Also saw some questionable strategy from Ricciardo at Canada, when he pitted for fresh slicks just 2-3 laps before rain was due and everyone switched to inters, which meant he lost 1st to Perez and couldn't get it back.
  • Ujhelyi91Ujhelyi91 Member Wheel Nut
    This issue of poor pit stop strategies is not a bug. It was around in 2016 and I'm fairly certain 2015. This is an issue CM do not feel is important enough to fix.
  • DolphinGrayA4DolphinGrayA4 Member Unleaded
    Cant they just have an addition to the coding so that when theres a safety car, the AI has a 50% chance of pitting? At least then it would be random but more exciting.
  • Rinehart27Rinehart27 Member Unleaded
    I think its swings and roundabouts. Some you win, some you lose. People generally don't jump on forums to post about the time they got it wrong...

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    edited September 14
    I think its swings and roundabouts. Some you win, some you lose. People generally don't jump on forums to post about the time they got it wrong...

yeah I know when I make one I just dust myself down and go again in the next one.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto