Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Shift change is meaningless in DiRT4?

In Japan, "DiRT4, you can get better results if your car is always selected a higher gear shift".
And even more, it is even said that even if your car is always selected Max Gear Shift, your car can run fast.
For example, at the Dart Academy, Linear Brake stage, even if your car is fixed at the 5th speed, it will run faster than the car AI manipulates.
In Dirt 4, the shift change is a directing (eg sound), is it a meaningless act?

Comments

• Monkeyman707Monkeyman707 Member Unleaded
    That is an interesting thought. I haven't tested it but surely being in a high gear on tight corners would be super slow. Maybe using a higher gear than you expect could be good though, I might have a play around with this idea when I next play
  • ScyyScyy Member Co-Driver
    You definitely get bogged down being in to high a gear.
    The Hypno Toad on Leaderboards
  • nbates66nbates66 Member New Car Smell
    edited September 7
    I think in some cases (in real life) switching to a higher gear for cornering can help control torque transmitted to the tyres and maintain traction, don't how well that comes up in Dirt 4, though I sometimes do such a thing in the group B ford RS200. as for this straight line speed idea, that NR4 Subaru WRX definitely felt like it accelerated faster when I shortened the gear ratios/paid attention to downshifting.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "shift change is a directing"... are you referring to the co-driver notes or the input suggestions HUD given when doing the dirt academy training?

EDIT: also - simulator or gamer mode?

Post edited by nbates66 on
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    Scyy said:
    well its not actually right.there is no " one way " of doing anything. i mainly short shift on windy roads.

you will hear many say its wrong but its not.many of my world records on dirt rally use this technique on wales.as in many cars it turns out faster.

here is a explanation why. http://www.modernracer.com/tips/shortshifting.html

• KevMKevM Member Champion
    Any turbo-charged car should be driving on Torque, i.e. Short-shifting.  Revving it's balls off literally gains Zero...
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    KevM said:
    Any turbo-charged car should be driving on Torque, i.e. Short-shifting.  Revving it's balls off literally gains Zero...
    And we have no tourque figures in DR or D4 which is..... odd.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• ScyyScyy Member Co-Driver
    dgeesi0 said:
    Scyy said:
    well its not actually right.there is no " one way " of doing anything. i mainly short shift on windy roads.

you will hear many say its wrong but its not.many of my world records on dirt rally use this technique on wales.as in many cars it turns out faster.

here is a explanation why. http://www.modernracer.com/tips/shortshifting.html

I understand that. The way I understood the op was he was saying you could get just as much power starting in max gear vs the optimal gear which is definitely not the case.
    The Hypno Toad on Leaderboards
  • Monkeyman707Monkeyman707 Member Unleaded
    Based on my quick little play around yesterday you definitely want to be changing gears particularly for things like hairpins and 1's where you will get very bogged down if your in a high gear. In faster corners it seems to make only a small difference however, eg taking a left 3 in 5 wasn't too slow even though the audio suggests the car is super struggling to gain speed. Short shifting causes no noticeable time loss but I wasn't really doing an in depth test so would not have picked up the small difference it might make anyway, it did make the car feel more stable in certain circumstances though so I might use this trick more often.
    I'm interested to know where the original post came from. If "higher gear shift" means higher than the number of the corner then yeah, because the number of the corner is related to it's tightness not the gear you should be in.
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Cars have no mass, so no resistance to acceleration or ability to exert lateral force.  The new 'Aero' is purely a downward force, but drag hasn't increased at all, hence ability to accelerate effectively & fairly effortlessly in any gear you choose.