Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Why do game developers release games that are not even finished?

Hey guys, 
i just wonder why todays developers keep doing it. 
What is the point in releasing a game that players can enjoy a half year later after endless patches?
I don't get it why they are releasing games in this state.

Answers

• ArongyArongy Member Unleaded
    agree with you guys pre order and only played a few hours since 26 august the game is full of major bugs and we have to wait weeks before its patched and even then its still buggy asf, to me this is clearly unfinished product wont pre-order again.. 
  • DusscDussc Member Unleaded
    Have you watched the Italian Grand Prix last weekend? Then you know why they HAD to ship the game before that date. Banners all around the track, commercial running in the breaks and mentions of the game in the F1 shows before the race started. That advertisment space was allready bought in months before release probably.
  • RegmaesterRegmaester Member Wheel Nut
    People complain about early releases, but I can not imagine the rant if we were back at the time when we get a new game with last year and not actual teams and drivers. 

Relax people, if you want fresh content, updated stuff, there is no other way. 
  • CmdrCodyCmdrCody Member Unleaded
    Yeah, sports games that have content tied to a specific season cannot be delayed easily. The business/legal side of such products is probably very complicated. Codemasters probably do not have the option of delaying their F1 games, even if they wanted to, because they are contractually obliged to release at a date set long in advance.

It's a shame, because these strict annual deadlines result in buggy products being released prematurely, and it probably makes is very difficult for Codemasters to innovate significantly. They don't have time to completely redesign their graphics and physics engine from scratch; they can only make small upgrades from year to year.
  • CofferCoffer Member Pit Crew
    bax said:
    The question should be...

Why do game PLAYERs BUY games that are even not finished?
    Because people anticipate something and are then pleased with what they get. Simple as that, especially on Steam where you can refund with ease within the first 2 hours. Plus, this isn't Project Cars.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Regardless of the reasons why, the consumer is endorsing this and so we can't really expect them to change their release strategy if we as consumers can't adjust our buying habits.

"New and Shiny I need it now!!!"
    You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
  • martblokemartbloke Member Unleaded
    Coffer said:
    Welcome to a world where you don't get to choose your release dates and you have to put out a yearly release for a sport infinitely more complex than football, with a team considerably smaller than EA's, all for the sake of the FIA. Even accounting for how lazy CM were in a lot of places with this release, there's only so much you can do before you have to put everything out and switch focus to the patching process.
    Although I agree with this when it comes to yearly releases, I also think developers are losing that desire to make sure it's complete these days before releasing considering they can all now release updates to patch over the missed issues via downloads. I mean I got Ghost Recon Wildlands which apparently took 4 years to develop and that was buggy as hell from a large developer. It's all getting a little lazy considering the large sums involved in the world of gaming these days all about money rather than pride on making an awesome, bug free game. 
  • 1henryw1henryw Member Unleaded
    It's why I never get game on release day. With 2016 I monitored this forum then made my purchase when I was convinced that bugs etc had been fixed only to discover the career mode didn't work due to the lack of ability to change teams and the r and d design. All games do this. They release incomplete and buggy games then the public basically act as testers. In the old days games companies would hire companies to test the games for them before release.
  • larryllarryl Member Pit Crew
    because we (players) are demanding a F1 game every year.
    If they say they bring it once every two years everybody is mad!

Thats why
    F1-2017 Beta Tester - League Driver - Thrustmaster T150 - PlaySeat Evolution White - PS4 - No Assists
  • CofferCoffer Member Pit Crew
    edited September 7
    martbloke said:
    Coffer said:
    Welcome to a world where you don't get to choose your release dates and you have to put out a yearly release for a sport infinitely more complex than football, with a team considerably smaller than EA's, all for the sake of the FIA. Even accounting for how lazy CM were in a lot of places with this release, there's only so much you can do before you have to put everything out and switch focus to the patching process.
    Although I agree with this when it comes to yearly releases, I also think developers are losing that desire to make sure it's complete these days before releasing considering they can all now release updates to patch over the missed issues via downloads. I mean I got Ghost Recon Wildlands which apparently took 4 years to develop and that was buggy as hell from a large developer. It's all getting a little lazy considering the large sums involved in the world of gaming these days all about money rather than pride on making an awesome, bug free game. 
    I did say that it's a problem, and it's especially apparent when you look at all the problems from 2016 that weren't even touched, let alone fixed, but that still hurts them less than the small amount of time and resources they have to throw at a new entry every single year. And I'm not particularly convinced those large sums are that large in this case.

>considering they can all now release updates to patch over the missed issues via downloads
    Keep in mind that the release version has to be approved long before release. The patches are usually things they've worked on since then. Though two things surprise me here, the first being all the issues they've run into since the final beta version (the DSQ one for instance), and the second being the very relevance of the beta being called into question seeing as they somehow didn't even notice McLaren's engine upgrades not working until seemingly yesterday.

>bug free
    There are no bug free games, just ones where they haven't been discovered yet.

• mceci1mceci1 Member Unleaded
    Because making a game to perfection on release, DOES NOT HAPPEN. Seriously how many times does it need to be said, a perfect game on release never has existed, never will, it take releasing to public and up to us to find errors too, seems there is too much demanding though now, its a joke on behalf of the community
  • Dez0808Dez0808 Member Wheel Nut
    Games are very complicated these days. but they are still made with lines of code. I'd love to know how many lines of code are in F1 2017. And finding a bug in that, and fixing it without effecting everything else that uses it. Must be a nightmare! 
  • patronaspatronas Member Unleaded
    Rayg1979 said:
    Sadly it's always been the same with Codemasters F1 Games...

I've been burnt too many times with this game which is why I now never buy on day one.  This year I will do what I did last year and buy it from the PlayStation store in December in the sale, the bugs will be fixed and I only have to pay £20 :-)
    Its not just codemasters its every game developer u all so got to think the are not making it for one platform if it was made for one console then the can get it in a pritty deasent shape but trying to do it for multipleplatforms then the will be bugs as each platform has diffrent hard ware if the brought the game out just after the season starts then could have rid of majority of bugs by the midway point in stead the bring it out  half way threw the season and the issues aint fixed till the real season is finished so u end up having to play an out of date game kind ofi think the have done a good job on this years game apart from the issues that people are having at moment id prefere for them to release the game near the start of season next year just add the new tracks a couple more diffrent layouts and driver changes and that then they would have that extra time to develop 2019 the cars are a carry over next year from this year so the really isnt any reason the couldent do it then that way get to play the game in same year as season