Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRT Rally feedback list

Comments

• warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    edited April 2015

Alright, time for a first proper feedback post. I've compiled a list of details which I, personally, believe are relevant and important for the game, at least, as far as I can think of at the moment. The list is as follows:

1 - In Custom Event, have everything (cars, tracks, best engineers etc...) unlocked from the start. Give player the choice to climb up the ladder in Career, or simply jump to their favorite car and location right away, like in Project CARS.

2 - Add all time-of-day options (Morning, Afternoon, Sunset, Night etc..) to all locations in the game. Add precipitation options for each location and time-of-day as well. Use rain for locations with higher temperatures and snow for locations with lower temperatures. See Driveclub's event conditions selection as an example.

3 - Add the ability to select tires for the event as part of the setup.

4 - (Perhaps) reduce AI difficulty. Maybe it's well adjusted and I just need to improve my skills.

5 - Add AI drivers for Rally and Hillclimb modes. AI drivers should depart with 2 minute gaps like in real-life. If this is not possible, then add some random occurrences of slow, broken down or crashed AI drivers for more realism and unexpectedness.

6 - Don't force the player to keep moving in offline play. Reserve this for online play to, perhaps, avoid road blockers.

7 -  Add the option to remove auto-reset zones and give the player the choice of when to recover the vehicle instead of a countdown.

8 - Not really a suggestion, but more of a curiosity. Repair times seem lengthy (nearly 10 minutes for one 5%damaged component), too lengthy (at least in Custom Event). Is this accurate or can they be lowered?

If more occurs to me during Early Access, or if I notice significant glitches, I will report for you. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I'd like to add another simple item to my list.

9 - At the start of stages, don't auto-rev the car, just park it at the start and let players control the revs.

Post edited by warpengage on
  • 789ifyz789ifyz Member Co-Driver
    Firstly, great game. Loving it so far. Also, VERY well optimised, unless I'm overestimating the graphics. My PC usually plays games very slightly above PS4 graphics, so since I can almost max it out @1080p, I'm fairly certain the console version will also be so very beautiful.

The stages are nice and long and twisty, handling's great etc. a real step up from the previous DiRT games.

I haven't checked out too many of the settings yet, but I can see that there's repairs between stages and carried damage. UI's nice and simple. 

There didn't seem to be Terminal Damage/Wrecking, but I did see an achievement for wiping out, so I probably just missed a setting somewhere...

I fell the boundary for Auto-Reset is a little to closed when falling off the road. I fell into trees, but got reset before I could tumble through them and possibly knock some over. Also, the timer's too short. Hopefully they'll extend the time to recover before Auto-Reset kicks in, or perhaps remove it altogether, since there's already a button to reset the vehicle should the need arise.

Also, I didn't notice any sign that a car had gone before me. Unless I was the first on the road, in which case it makes perfect sense, but hopefully some of those little details will be present at some point, as well as the cars themselves if they're exceptionally slow, broken down or I'm exceptionally fast (which I'm not) etc.

Thoroughly satisfied by the particle systems. I'll probably still try pushing them further, and perhaps to unrealistically over the top levels, some time after the full release.

Haven't noticed any bugs yet, either. But then again, I've hardly played it so far.

That's all for now. Can't wait for Pike's Peak next month. Loving the game. Thanks so much Codies, DiRT Team! smiley 

P.S. Turns out at least part of my translation of drt.exe was correct - DiRT Rally (Team - that part was wrong).exe. Unless they add that part to the name afterwards. I think there is an option to manage a team within the game. Haven't started career mode yet.

P.S.S. When do we get the crazy spectators, animals, optional closed gates, and that farmer who didn't get the memo and started driving his tractor to the fields on a road that was supposed to be closed off for the Rally.
    Youtube: 789ifyz         Steam: Ultament Gamr

Specs:
    Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
    GFX Card: MSi Twin Frozr nVidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB
    CPU: Quad Core Intel i5 7500 @3.4GHZ
    RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2133MHZ
    Motherboard: MSi B250I Gaming Pro AC
    PSU: Corsair CX550M
    I noticed today that in some night races the headlights were flashing random colours.

Specs:
    edited April 2015
    own996 said:
    I just wanted to say that the reason i bought the game yesterday is because i love your philisophy behind it. Back to the basics of rally, in a true simulation atmosphere, and using early access to get feedback from the community.
    I for one hope that the community will get behind this game and help you make it the next (insert your all-time favourite rally sim here....so RBR :) ).
    I didn't even get the time to play the game yet, but my first piece of advise would be to create some platform for user feedback form dirt: Rally. A single thread will become a huge mess. I'd say a subforum for Dirt:Rally, and then several subforums for each aspect of the game, so sound, graphics, controllers, wheels, physics, etc etc etc. Get abunch of moderators on those forums to keep track of registered (and solved) issues. This will surely get you more useful feedback, and will give you the chance to chose the community where you're going with the game.
    Good luck!
    @own996 Sorry to be so picky but, you spelled DiRT wrong... twice...

Specs:
  • SheptekSheptek Member New Car Smell
    Great first attempt but could do with a few tweaks. How about a grip slider in the settings PURELY FOR TEST PURPOSES so we can adjust the level of grip and vote on our preferred level to hopefully be implemented into the final game! Also would like to see the ability to adjust size of the speedometer. 
  • AlwertAlwert Member New Car Smell
    Soy un jugador bastante experimentado en RBR ( mejor simulador hasta la fecha ) y este dirt rally tiene un buen futuro aunque tiene algunas cosas a corregir.

1º- Demasiado facil frenar los coches. Vas a 120 Km/h y pasas a 0 Km/h muy rápido. Debería de tener mas inercias.  Tal es así que el rally de montecarlo solo desacelerando ya se pueden trazar el 90% de las curvas. GRAN FALLO.

2º- En tierra el comportamiento puede mejorar aunque es óptimo , pero en asfalto el coche agarra demasiado. En las curvas cerradas ni el Ford Fiesta WRC puede derrapar con el freno de mano. El coche se queda pegado al asfalto y sin potencia. GRAN ERROR.

Muy importante mejorar estos aspectos para conseguir un simulador real. 

I'm a fairly experienced player in RBR (best simulator to date) and this dirt rally has a good future although it has some things to correct.

1º- Too easy slow the cars. You are about to 120 km / h and raisins to 0 km / h fast. You should have more inertia. So much so that the Monte Carlo Rally slowing and can only draw 90% of curves. BIG FAILURE.

2º- On land it can improve behavior but is optimal, but in asphalt the car grabs too. In tight corners or the Ford Fiesta WRC may skid with the handbrake. The car stays glued to the asphalt without power. BIG MISTAKE.

Very important to improve these aspects to get a real simulator.
  • nosalisCZnosalisCZ Member New Car Smell
    edited April 2015
    I haven't spend all that much time in it yet, to give a more specific feedback, but I would like to say one thing

Thank you Codemasters for listening to the community. For me Dirt Rally addresses many of my concerns about Dirt3 ( which I really liked overall)
    I think the approach from more realistic point of view is very smart and correct thing to do

I wish your game lot of success !!!

really like some very small details that you put into the game, like when you drive at night, your headlights cast light cone, that's interrupted by particles/fog..looks bloody amazing !!!

Physics is a huge improvement and step in the right direction. Once it's more tweaked I think it will be totally spot on !!!
    sim/racing enthusiast, enjoying every game for what it is and not for what I want it to be
    En este video se observa como un WRC en una curva de 180º derrapa y tiene aceleración para continuar con el derrape hasta salir de la curva. 

Un WRC tiene mucha potencia en la realidad en marchas cortas. En DIRT RALLY esto no ocurre. 
    GRAN FALLO A MEJORAR !!

Admito que el juego, puliendo ciertos aspectos, puede ser el futuro de los juegos de rally. Buen trabajo y seguid mejorando.
    In this video you can see how a WRC in a curve of 180 skids and has acceleration to continue to skid out of the curve.

WRC has a lot of power in reality gears. In DIRT RALLY it does not.
    GREAT FAILURE TO IMPROVE !!

I admit that the game, polishing some respects, may be the future of gaming rally. Good work and keep improving.
  • klapsigaartjeklapsigaartje Member New Car Smell

This new rally game is amazing! I played it for a couple of hours now, and I really enjoy it!

But I do have a small error. I can't use my F1, F2, F3 and F4 keys. So I can't change my livery, or the weather options. It could be my keyboard, a Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard. If so, please tell me.

I think it would be really cool if you could change the amount of spectators around the track. So you can have a lot of spectators, maybe diving off the track when you aproach them, when you drive in a Group B monster.

This is it so far, thanks again for the great game!

• KostekManKostekMan Member New Car Smell
    edited April 2015
    Alwert said:

I admit that the game, polishing some respects, may be the future of gaming rally. Good work and keep improving.
    I totally agree with you. At exits from tight corners(especially on termac) it's nearly impossible to lose grip by using full throttle.
    For me WRC cars seems to be a little bit underpowered or more likely the tires have too much grip. To see this just watch replay from any termac hairpin and compare car behaviour with film Alwert linked.

Also, as somebody mentioned before, big flashy text with countdown to reset the car seems more frustrating to me then useful. Player should be allowed to reset his car when he wants to by using proper button when the car is stopped with the constant penalty. If he wants to try returning on the road by himself why the game shouldn't let him do it? Also the rules of permanently wrecking the car are unclear to me. Sometimes when you leave the road at no speed(especially in MC) you are wrecked but on the other hand there are places where you crash at 150 km/h and you can keep going.

Another thing that I would change is repair system. IMHO all the systems should have some parts that may become damaged, and we should be able to decide that for example we want to fix water pump, but leave the radiator untouched. Now these percents seems unclear and unrealistic to me. 
    KostekMan said:
    Alwert said:

I totally agree with you. At exits from tight corners(especially on termac) it's nearly impossible to lose grip by using full throttle.
    For me WRC cars seems to be a little bit underpowered or more likely the tires have too much grip. To see this just watch replay from any termac hairpin and compare car behaviour with film Alwert linked.
    EXACTLY !!!. Hopefully improve in this aspect....
  • heavybootsheavyboots Member New Car Smell
    edited April 2015
    Azoresst said:
    - "Comprehensive engine damage, cracked cylinders, snapping belts, sheared mounts/anything that might come from you not spending enough time on repairs/mechanics";
    - When we hit finish line, the race finish...we should be able to continue driving to the service tent;
    - Wind sound increasing as the car is getting faster would help evaluate the sense of speed.
    - Manual wipers;
    - Dust accumulation on windshield;
    - Switch headlights on/off;
    -Add random events in race like crashed cars, rocks and obstacles, so the same special feels different even if you play it twice;
    - Option to remove the arms and the wheel;
    - Add some degradation of road;
    - Implement tyre choice, number of tyres per event and ability to change the tyre when one of the equipped have a puncture (with time penalty);
    - Add all time-of-day options (Morning, Afternoon, Sunset, Night etc..) to all locations in the game. Add precipitation options for each location and time-of-day as well. Use rain for locations with higher temperatures and snow for locations with lower temperatures;
    +1 for all of these, in particular! And a vote for Evos (or at least one) as soon as possible! Feels weird having a Subie in the 90's cars without its natural rival!

Also:
    • Moving head view option ala WRC 4, where the camera "looks" towards the apex on turns. This is one of the things they actually got right as it can be very helpful to see the inside of the corner you're trying to clip without needing a triple monitor setup or an Oculus Rift.
    • Pace note editing — Regardless of whether you implement codriver multiplayer, the driver needs the ability to pause the game and edit a pace note that is consistently irritating to them, so it doesn't irritate them forever and ever.
    • Stronger penalty for hitting spectators, ala RBR. Or at least make it an option. If you kill someone the race is basically over for you IMHO.
    • As well as random obstacles, living obstacles like deer, kangaroos (if you do Australia), cows, etc would be awesome. Preferably with damage based on how hard you hit it (eg, bodywork if you just brush a deer, destroyed engine if you direct hit a cow).
  • VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Race Steward
    A few suggestions from me (not sure if I'm duplicating these if posted already?):
    1. Please can I find out the length of the stage at some point? It doesn't seem to be shouted out at me, just conditions, etc. This is playing as Custom Event.
    2. Snowflakes go blurry when drawn over the distant background (at night at least), as if the depth of field is applied to them, as well as the background.
    3. The shadow effect on bushes can look VERY fake at some angles, I was on Severn valley stage and drove onto grass near river, the bushes looked like cheap Photoshop drop shadows... okay that's not the aim of the game, but any tweaks might look less 2D.

• arthur93arthur93 Member New Car Smell
    Managed to play the game a bit more now. Also watched some youtube videos of the ford fiesta. A few things I noticed compared to real life;
    1. One thing I notices is the lack of anti lag sounds. I did notice it a bit when the player lifts of the accelerator but it needs to be a lot louder and sound more violent.
    2. More gearbox whine.
  • zamex23sszamex23ss Member New Car Smell
    Trottle and break input must be fixed..i need to fully pressed pedal for game to detect it..it's nightmare to drive on limit while you don't have fully control over trottle/brake imput
  • JBGAMERJBGAMER Member New Car Smell
    Seat adjustment should be both forward and backward as well as up and down. Also the option to remove driver arms & steering wheel.