Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

AI difficulty and lap time at tire / fuel save training

Hi,

imho with higher AI settings the minimum lap times for fuel and tire saving challenges in career are scaling a bit too hard.
I like to have challening races and not easily getting top 3 with a bad / medium car (playing career with Sauber)
On AI level 40 it's pretty easy getting fuel / tire challenge purple and still having 2-3 sec time left. But that's a level where i easily become 2nd / 3rd and still making errors while driving every now and then.
AI level 70-75 seems about right. Usually i get a medium ranking, top 10 when i don't make much errors - which seems about right when driving with Sauber.
But on that level i need to race like crazy to just beat the lap times in fuel / tire savings, despite that i would have time to save fuel / tires...

Comments

• RodrigoMendesRodrigoMendes Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 12
    These trainings are absolutely bad balanced. All of them.

On the race I can keep a very good pace and beat my rivals if not easily, in a pleasant way with a good challenging. But in the same difficulty level, on FP not only IA have unbeateable laps, but the training are really hard to finish too.

Looks like no one on CM have tested the balanced of the game before launch it.

Difficulty: 100%
    Wheel DFGT
    Assists OFF
  • DolphinGrayA4DolphinGrayA4 Member Unleaded
    If youre racing on level 40 for practice then youre obciobviously going to pass the test easily. Im using McLaren (with no upgrades) and i can pass the tests on 75 and qualify in the top 12 with the harder compound tire. Then i turn it up to 85 for the race and still finished in the top 10.

Im still playing with the difficulty, and trying to find the balance between wually and race, it needs to go up a little it seems. Maybe 78Q/88R, since my McLaren shouldnt quite be in the top 10 on high speed tracks like Bahrain and Russia.
    He's not playing at level 40. What he's saying is that the training mode is absolutely unbalaced. And it is. Not only TM, but the whole game.
    He said he played on level 40 and passed the tests with a perfect score with 2-3 second advantage.

He then said he easily finished 2nd or 3rd at that level even when making small mistakes while racing.

You need to go back and re-read his first post.
    He said he played on level 40 and passed the tests with a perfect score with 2-3 second advantage.

He then said he easily finished 2nd or 3rd at that level even when making small mistakes while racing.

I really suggest you to do the same....

Especially the two lasts paragraphs.

Exactly, in the last two paragraphs he said he moved the difficulty to 70-75 (up from 40 where he had it before) and it seemed about right for his skill level.

Maybe you need to learn how to read.

Exactly, in the last two paragraphs he said he moved the difficulty to 70-75 (up from 40 where he had it before) and it seemed about right for his skill level.

Maybe you need to learn how to read.
    Are you mental retarded or something?

Are you absolutely incapable to understand that he's saying that the need to set 40% Difficulty on FP and 70-75% difficulty on Race Day because the game is **** unbalanced? Whats the difficulty to understand this?

There's something wrong with this forum, the concentration of stupid or mental retarded people is really more than expected. This is toxic, a cancer... I'm out!
    Sounds like youre angry, maybe you need to act like an adult and calm down.

I know what he said,  and im still correct. Everyone knows its unbalanced until the new patch comes out. But i simply reiterated what he said, so i am obviously not wrong. Because its the same thing he said. You need to adjust the difficulty manually until it gets patched.

Since he know that he needs to change the difficulty manually from practice/qualifying to the race, then he is simply stating what everyone else is stating and now CM are fixing it. But to your chagrin, you got all mad about it started calling me names, which is quite childish.

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    These trainings are absolutely bad balanced. All of them.

On the race I can keep a very good pace and beat my rivals if not easily, in a pleasant way with a good challenging. But in the same difficulty level, on FP not only IA have unbeateable laps, but the training are really hard to finish too.

Looks like no one on CM have tested the balanced of the game before launch it.

Difficulty: 100%
    Wheel DFGT
    Assists OFF
    yeah I agree as I've found I can race the AI pretty well on medium sometimes hard too (although it depends on the track with hard) on the game yet I can't get anywhere near the practice program tests on those levels which is why I stick to easy playing at 35%. I think when and if I do manage to get all the upgrades though I may be tempted then to try upping the difficulty to give myself more of a challenge. Tbh though I'm not thinking too much about that atm I'm just enjoying the game and the challenges it is presenting me.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• ThyrielThyriel Member New Car Smell
    If youre racing on level 40 for practice then youre obciobviously going to pass the test easily. Im using McLaren (with no upgrades) and i can pass the tests on 75 and qualify in the top 12 with the harder compound tire. Then i turn it up to 85 for the race and still finished in the top 10.

Im still playing with the difficulty, and trying to find the balance between wually and race, it needs to go up a little it seems. Maybe 78Q/88R, since my McLaren shouldnt quite be in the top 10 on high speed tracks like Bahrain and Russia.
    With a good car like McLaren / Ferrari i have no problem at all finishing the trainings on 75 difficulty, but it's just boring driving with the best cars, starting every race in pole position and staying there until the end of the race. I would need to set AI to 90-100 with those cars to have a challenge but then again trainings would be at unbeatable level. (Just for fun i tried what times you need to drive in training on AI 110 with a top car: It's pretty close to Schumacher's record in Australia - undoable while tire / fuel saving.)
    With medium / low tier cars it's just insane harder doing those trainings then getting a good place at race. Career should be fun, the challenge should be winning races and component management and not playing minigames in training.
    Thyriel said:

With a good car like McLaren / Ferrari i have no problem at all finishing the trainings on 75 difficulty, but it's just boring driving with the best cars, starting every race in pole position and staying there until the end of the race. I would need to set AI to 90-100 with those cars to have a challenge but then again trainings would be at unbeatable level. (Just for fun i tried what times you need to drive in training on AI 110 with a top car: It's pretty close to Schumacher's record in Australia - undoable while tire / fuel saving.)
    With medium / low tier cars it's just insane harder doing those trainings then getting a good place at race. Career should be fun, the challenge should be winning races and component management and not playing minigames in training.
    I definitely agree, but in this game the McLaren is not fast at all. I chose the McLaren because i wanted to fight my way to the top. That's what makes it fun, fighting for position the whole race, knowing that if you make a mistake you're gonna lose a place. 

Currently at 75 difficulty it was a little too easy for me practice and qually with McLaren (no upgrades). But at 85 in the race it was very tough to get 8th position. So im getting close to finding the right balance between the difficulty setting so that they are similar for qually and race.

But Jenny just said the patch comes out tomorrow morning so we shouldn't have to worry about it anymore.
  • plucka99plucka99 Member New Car Smell
    edited September 12
    Sounds and seems fine to me.  Why do you think getting purple in the practice sessions should be easy?  It should be hard and a challenge to get purple.  I play 95 difficulty and since patch 1.6 I find the qualifying and race pace spot on, the practice sessions are a challenge and I often don't get purple's but greens, but I don't cry about the game being "unbalanced".
  • PercocetPantherPercocetPanther Member New Car Smell
    edited September 13
    I started off on 60, which is the first number in the transition between medium difficulty (59) and hard (60) and then gradually upped the difficulty as I clicked with the handling model, the new cars, the improved A.I etc...

I used to play on expert on 2015, which was 1 step below maximum difficulty, I believe?

I missed 2016 so I don't know if they stayed with the more traditional settings or introduced this new sliding scale?

Anyway, I feel comfortable at around 75-80, though some tracks, in particular Russia, Bahrain, Monza, I can up it to 90 as the A.I seem slow, and on others, like Monaco, Spa, Australia, they are very strong and I have to concentrate to get good results.

I am currently using the Williams in my first career mode season.

Perhaps the fact they need to give you a challenging team mate explains why Lance Stroll is so OP at some circuits?

I was out qualified by him early on but begun to destroy him later into the season...but he regularly gets top 10 and often top 6...which isn't realistic compared to the real sport (excluding Baku?).

plucka99 said:
    Sounds and seems fine to me.  Why do you think getting purple in the practice sessions should be easy?  It should be hard and a challenge to get purple.  I play 95 difficulty and since patch 1.6 I find the qualifying and race pace spot on, the practice sessions are a challenge and I often don't get purple's but greens, but I don't cry about the game being "unbalanced".
    yeah that's why I'm playin gat 35 as I can do greens onmost of them at that level but I do have to work hard normally to get purple scores. At 35 I find I can get purple sometimes but I find I need to really nail my lap to do it

• mgmikeytmgmikeyt Member Unleaded
     Anyone using McLaren or Sauber for their career shouldn't be getting anywhere near top 10 in the first season. Driving a McLaren, even with 5 retirements I only managed 11th in Australia and 14th in China (1 retirement). The best marker for the correct (real) difficulty level for you is to set it so you are within a tenth or two of your team-mate. Those 2 results have made me want to move it up from 85 to 90 for more realism as I was at least 30 seconds ahead of Vandoorne in both of those. Fighting for 15th place + isn't thrilling stuff but the thrill of driving for McLaren is the hope of taking them back to their glory days after 6 seasons or so.

A good way of finding your difficulty sweet spot is to do a single GP in a Mercedes and see how you stack up against the sister Merc and the Ferraris.

I've not personally noticed the practice session events being particularly difficult although I use a wheel and I know from last years comments that using a pad makes the tires wear challenge much harder.

• CofferCoffer Member Unleaded
    Everyone knows its unbalanced until the new patch comes out.
    Except the PC already has patch 1.6 and the tests are still unbalanced.
    mgmikeyt said:
     Anyone using McLaren or Sauber for their career shouldn't be getting anywhere near top 10 in the first season. Driving a McLaren, even with 5 retirements I only managed 11th in Australia and 14th in China (1 retirement). The best marker for the correct (real) difficulty level for you is to set it so you are within a tenth or two of your team-mate. Those 2 results have made me want to move it up from 85 to 90 for more realism as I was at least 30 seconds ahead of Vandoorne in both of those. Fighting for 15th place + isn't thrilling stuff but the thrill of driving for McLaren is the hope of taking them back to their glory days after 6 seasons or so.

A good way of finding your difficulty sweet spot is to do a single GP in a Mercedes and see how you stack up against the sister Merc and the Ferraris.

I've not personally noticed the practice session events being particularly difficult although I use a wheel and I know from last years comments that using a pad makes the tires wear challenge much harder.

Yeah i just did qually in spain on 80 sbd it was too easy, got 8th on the grid.

Race tomorrow im doing at 90 to see how i fare. If im still miles ahead of Alonso ill bump it up again to 95 for the next race.
  • CofferCoffer Member Unleaded
    mgmikeyt said:
    That teaches you to rely on their insane grip, which will only make you exceptionally slow once you move to a slower car. The better benchmark is to test out the Haas, Renault and Toro Rosso.
  • JustPJustP Member New Car Smell
    edited September 13
    I am doing Pro season with Sauber, so 110% difficulty, and I have not felt any unbalance from practice to qual or race considering AI's, the gaps are the same for me. I am making basicly all practice programs, guess around 60/40 purple and green. Only Qual program at Bahrain I failed by 0.250, but thats only track I could not keep up with Ericcson in qual or race either.

After reading the posts here, my theory is that the unbalance happen when scaling to a lower difficulty, so it might be here codemasters did a error?

On a other note, I dont understand people driving Sauber or McLaren and constantly fighting for points and even podiums first season, it should be a challenge and be around your teammates pace. But thats me, seems others have a different opinion on that :P

mgmikeyt said:

Yeah it does and it's pretty hard on keyboard as well if you get the various upgrades though that ease tyre wear and your in a car that's kinder to it's tyres like the Ferrari seems to be for me then I can usually pass them but the fuel one's the one I'm finding the trickiest atm. I'm finding my Ferrari to be a bit of a gas guzzler as I think they call them in the US but my old Williams I ran with in my Season 1 was OK.