Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

RX - do you like bigger venues like Dirt 2 - or realistic smaller like DR/D4 better?

I like Dirt 2 best how they did it - both London, L.A and Japan were bigger venues RX where a spectator cannot view entire track all the time.
This made the tracks more interesting variations in driving, speed parts, jumps and whatnot.

I know a lot of RX tracks looks like in DR(and D4 probably since 3 of 5 are the same) - but I just get bored real quick. And the different events are just making a shortcut here and there, and joker is different etc.

Dirt 3 I don't remember if I did any at all - I was bored by the career mode forcing me to finish real good or event never gets done and you can move on.

I will check reviews on PC2 and possibly get it to see how they did RX - since driving and cars are so different from track racing.

I am fond of both RX and track racing like on tarmac since you compete side by side more than rally. So rally parts are not something I do or look forward to at all.
Dirt 2 | Dirt 3 | F1 2011 | Dirt Rally Legend | Xbox

Comments

• carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    Is "more locations" an accepted answer?
    DiRT 4 has the WRX licence so it makes sense to have these circuits because they're used in real life. Thing is, with just five circuits it gets boring really quick
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • SlowishSlowish Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 12
    I'd really like to see fully fleshed-out dedicated Rx title in the future but, I'm sure it's a small market. Personally, I wouldn't mind some fantasy tracks with more jumps and some with slow-speed turns right after the jump requiring restraint and more skill to navigate successfully.

Perhaps someone like SMS (Pcars2) could do it but, we'll have to see how PC2 turns out first hand.

I wanted to try SLRE but, just couldn't get the controllers working enough to get beyond basic game-pad functionality.  What's up with Rally-titles and the lack of controller support? CM can't support the DSD handbrake either. :#

We really need a competent Sim-developer to tackle Rally in general; Sector3 / Studio397 / Kunos / SMS / Reiza are perhaps the only ones that understand simulation and the hardware available today and only a couple of them have recently experimented with soft-surface behavior.

PC Mobo MSi Z270 Pro / CPU Intel i7-7700k @4.2 ghz / RAM G.Skills RipJaws 32GB DDR4 / OS Windows 10 / GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 / Audio SoundBlaster ZX / Tactile OB Realtek (Extensions) / SB Audigy (Chassis) / Control AccuForce / OSW Mige (10k) SimuCube / CSS SQ / CST F1 Pedals / Displays 27" triples / Oculus CV-1

• DoubleTenDoubleTen Member New Car Smell
    I think RX should deserve a little more in-dept contents.
    We have the actual RX season and the 1986-1987 Group B Euro season. But there are only races after races. in DiRT2 was working better because you can feel to be part of a big event. Here there is no career or exclusive RX content, it's just another way to race on gravel.

I mean: you have a team management mode, use it!!! Let me do something interesting and original, like exclusive sponsorships, buy another car and hire a top driver.
    You have an historic season with group B, use it!!! Let me feel the great duels of the '80s, give me lost tracks like Lyngas.
  • LariosoDogLariosoDog Member New Car Smell
    carpa said:
    Is "more locations" an accepted answer?
    DiRT 4 has the WRX licence so it makes sense to have these circuits because they're used in real life. Thing is, with just five circuits it gets boring really quick
    Thanks for comment. Sure it is - if quantity is what you feel is lacking.
    I think the one in sweden is possibly more like a roundabout with a joker detour, and not so thrilling(no I'm not a patriot, I try to be objective)..
    Yes, this exist in real life - but I don't care if they do, really. It is created for spectators getting almost full view to follow a car all the way around the track - nice for them.

But is it that much fun for drivers?
    Are they looking forward to it?
    And we playing the game are the drivers.

I tried today to look for PC2 gameplay for RX on YT, and at least 1-2 locations looked a bit more exciting than others. Daytona and the other I did no manage to get the name of. They have 8 locations in total. But will continue looking since 2 are not enough for a purchase.

I have the PC1, but so horribly bad documented what is on the status screens - even searching YT to figure out how to use the various status screens of tires and breaks and stuff. A good fun of it is also learning to master setup of cars etc and when downloading everything that is documented you are not that much wiser - then I loose interest. Finding optimal tire pressure you need temperatures variation statistics over a race etc.

I learn tuning in Forza 6 and still have a lot to learn. This is part of the fun.

Slowish said:
    I'd really like to see fully fleshed-out dedicated Rx title in the future but, I'm sure it's a small market. Personally, I wouldn't mind some fantasy tracks with more jumps and some with slow-speed turns right after the jump requiring restraint and more skill to navigate successfully.

Perhaps someone like SMS (Pcars2) could do it but, we'll have to see how PC2 turns out first hand.

I wanted to try SLRE but, just couldn't get the controllers working enough to get beyond basic game-pad functionality.  What's up with Rally-titles and the lack of controller support? CM can't support the DSD handbrake either. :#

We really need a competent Sim-developer to tackle Rally in general; Sector3 / Studio397 / Kunos / SMS / Reiza are perhaps the only ones that understand simulation and the hardware available today and only a couple of them have recently experimented with soft-surface behavior.

Thank you.
    I think you are right, maybe too small market just for that - but those that feel the side-by-side racing is fun PC is probably pretty good match having both track racing and RX - would be a strong case to get.

Doing tutorials in WRC 4(I think it was) there were some dedicated to practise handbraking through turns etc. The only one I tried that did that. Haven't look at more recent titles in the series though how it developed. And don't know about wheels support. But at least they took that seriously.

I think the criticism I read over D4 with that corners are repeated so you recognize them in just about every track, even the non-custom ones. And doing fantasy ones - most likely would have some of that too.

The online time trial in GT5 also had similar effect for weekly events, you recognise some turns. I guess this is really hard to do any other way - to get seemless feel to it all. You use building blocks like miniature railway tracks when we were kids.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    DR/D4 tracks all day for me. I have been asking for a return to real rallycross tracks since DiRT 2 and I'd be very disappointed if the next game reverted back to fictional circuits. 

A complete World Rallycross Championship and select National circuits would be the dream for me but, as said above, I don't think there is enough interest in rallycross to increase the content to that level. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

DoubleTen said:
    I think RX should deserve a little more in-dept contents.
    We have the actual RX season and the 1986-1987 Group B Euro season. But there are only races after races. in DiRT2 was working better because you can feel to be part of a big event. Here there is no career or exclusive RX content, it's just another way to race on gravel.

I mean: you have a team management mode, use it!!! Let me do something interesting and original, like exclusive sponsorships, buy another car and hire a top driver.
    You have an historic season with group B, use it!!! Let me feel the great duels of the '80s, give me lost tracks like Lyngas.
    Thanks.
    I did some upgrade of mechanic in DR and later looking in Xbox statistics online it seems 11% of those playing it unlocked doing that - and I was one of them - and just started my career??? Something must be really wrong with that statistics, I think. There were something about statistics over averate or top speed or something that was completely off compared to game statistics in console.

So when developers don't care that much about it, how can we?
    So tuts for things so we all really get what is in there to play with!!!!

In GT5 there were an unusuall management part that was fun in a way, so different from just driving yourself. Watching these chosen team of drivers do it.

As you mention - there are so many ways to make a game last longer. Add various management and sponsor stuff - and you can run a full career again with these.
    edited September 12
    tbtstt said:
    DR/D4 tracks all day for me. I have been asking for a return to real rallycross tracks since DiRT 2 and I'd be very disappointed if the next game reverted back to fictional circuits. 

A complete World Rallycross Championship and select National circuits would be the dream for me but, as said above, I don't think there is enough interest in rallycross to increase the content to that level. 
    Thanks for input.
    I guess most racing games have single or weekend events for thos wanting that - and career for those wanting that.

I like the open kind of design of Dirt 2 - there were just XP and money kind of. And as you raced you got more unlocked of various disciplins. No demand for getting third or better before you could take next race - just having fun all the way. That works for me.

Dirt 3 had this you get nothing unlocked until you finished third or better or similar. Hiddeous amount of races as you start before even getting anywhere. You must learn the track, the car and everything - and you are stuck on first event until you did.

Dirt 2 allowed to just fool around a bit and finish last as long as you wanted and still got something new over time.
    I really like that open style compared to strict career.