Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Kerbs

There are way too many kerbs in this game that are too high and will send you flying if you hit them. The most problematic for me have been turns 4 and 5 in Monza, 6 and 7 in Hungaroring and half of them in Baku. These are pretty damn annoying because they aren't nearly this high in real life.

Comments

• PercocetPantherPercocetPanther Member New Car Smell
    I've noticed that the cars do not like the kerbs in this game at all, especially when accelerating across them on exit (or riding them on entry to a lesser extent) which definitely slows the car and therefore costs time.

It has always been my style to run wide, ride the kerbs and extend as far as possible on exit, and this year that seems a bad move.

The classic cars don't like it either.

It's a shame, as I feel it is a part of racing to use every inch of the track, kerbs included.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    Well the inside kerbs in Variante della Roggia (2nd chicane at Monza) ar quite realistic if you ask me, I was there sunday for the GP and all the cars were avoiding them because it would cause severe damage to the floor or front wing, and it would unsettle the car
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Race Engineer
    how well your car takes the curbs is according to your set up on the car. That's why there are car setup up options, for things like curbs and so on.

Xbox one, controller
    What do you suggest to ride the kerbs without losing speed, kevin?

Is it ride height, suspension firmness etc...?

the stiffer you are the more ruff the curbs will be. 
    Xbox one, controller
  • F1randokalbus22F1randokalbus22 Member, Drivers Race Steward
    edited September 12
    Borq said:
    There are way too many kerbs in this game that are too high and will send you flying if you hit them. The most problematic for me have been turns 4 and 5 in Monza, 6 and 7 in Hungaroring and half of them in Baku. These are pretty damn annoying because they aren't nearly this high in real life.
    People just find things to complain about.It is good to see "more realistic" kerbs in the game.Just don't touch them and you won't have any problems  ;)
  • EstrayOneEstrayOne Member New Car Smell
    Borq said:
    They are though. drivers have trouble accelerating on kerbs in real life, you don't see it as well on TV
  • Ujhelyi91Ujhelyi91 Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 12

You don't ride the kerbs (at least not the high ones)
    When I say "ride the kerbs" I only mean in the minimal, unavoidable sense, or rather in situations where it is the best line out of a corner.
  • FetalFetal Member Unleaded
    edited September 13
    7-4 7-4 5-4  (on the suspension tab in setups) will let u ride pretty much ANY curb at Australia (tho inside curb on turn5 is higher than the rest so best to avoid clipping that one) 
    I don't remember what my setup for Monza is off the top of my head.. except ride height is 4-4. but i have ZERO problems with any of the curbs
    except the inside of the curva parbolica.  (obviously excluding the curbs with those stupid sausage bumps)
    SOFTER = you can use the curbs more
    When I say "ride the kerbs" I only mean in the minimal, unavoidable sense, or rather in situations where it is the best line out of a corner.
    well if the line you are taking causes you to lose time over the curbs then it isnt the best line.
    Xbox one, controller
  • CofferCoffer Member Pit Crew
    edited September 13
    kevinkirk said:
    well if the line you are taking causes you to lose time over the curbs then it isnt the best line.
    It only costs you time because the kerbs are exaggerated. Worse yet, a lot of them are interpreted by the game as being off the track, so even with perfect grip and traction on them you still lose power because the game thinks you're off-track.

EstrayOne said:
    Borq said:
    They are though. drivers have trouble accelerating on kerbs in real life, you don't see it as well on TV
    The Sochi pole lap invalidates your claim.

• FetalFetal Member Unleaded
    you clip the curbing @ Sochi heaps of times for the best line.
    turn 2 (if u count the little right kink on straight as turn 1), turns 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 11 12 13 14 15 and 16.
    with 2 and 14 being the only tough ones.
    edited September 13
    Coffer said:
    kevinkirk said:
    It only costs you time because the kerbs are exaggerated. Worse yet, a lot of them are interpreted by the game as being off the track, so even with perfect grip and traction on them you still lose power because the game thinks you're off-track.

EstrayOne said:
    Borq said:

The curbs are suppose to challenging. They are not as challenging as they should be to be honest. They should be able to damage your car when you hit them wrong or to hard like in real life. I mean, we have car setup options. So indeed we need something concerning the track that gives us the need to use those options. If we don't have a reason to need to dial the car in with setups ,  then that makes the car setup options pointless. You see the cars bouncing all over the place in real life on them. Breaking suspensions, cracking the tub and so on. Some drivers like bottas I think it was, injured his back for hitting them to hard a year or two back.  So indeed the game needs to represent that part of racing a F1 car and the tracks they race on. 
    Xbox one, controller
    kevinkirk said:
    Coffer said:
    kevinkirk said:

EstrayOne said:
    Borq said:

The curbs are suppose to challenging. They are not as challenging as they should be to be honest. They should be able to damage your car when you hit them wrong or to hard like in real life. I mean, we have car setup options. So indeed we need something concerning the track that gives us the need to use those options. If we don't have a reason to need to dial the car in with setups ,  then that makes the car setup options pointless. You see the cars bouncing all over the place in real life on them. Breaking suspensions, cracking the tub and so on. Some drivers like bottas I think it was, injured his back for hitting them to hard a year or two back.  So indeed the game needs to represent that part of racing a F1 car and the tracks they race on. 
    Just because the Ferrari's suspension and steering are very vulnerable doesn't mean the kerbs should be that dangerous for every car, as Ferrari are the only ones who have had any issues whatsoever with that this year. The ones in Sochi in particular for instance are intended to be driven over, yet right now a number of them are much too tall compared to the real ones and even the ones that aren't are overly exaggerated or trigger the out-of-track bug.

And no, it's not a setup thing. I've tested that on 110% difficulty, with multiple flashbacks in the same corner to see how the car reacts every time. It's overdone compared to AMS, and given how shoddy the rFactor engine's implementation of kerbs is, it shows that CM are nowhere near as diligent regarding this issue as Reiza are.

>You see the cars bouncing all over the place in real life on them.
    You don't see them jumping on the two left wheels at Monza on turn 1 for instance, so no.

>Some drivers like bottas I think it was, injured his back for hitting them to hard a year or two back.
    You don't have to drive like an idiot like Bottas did in Australia that one time to run into issues with this game's kerbs.
    In real life, when racing, and other games I've played, the kerbs are an important and accepted part of the race track and allow you, as we all know, to take a wider line through corners, staying wide on entry and extending out to the kerb on exit, which allows a higher average speed.

I don't remember the kerbs being anywhere near as detrimental to the car in the 2015 game.

Nor Assetto Corsa, or Project Cars, or Driveclub.

• scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited September 13
    Borq said:
    There are way too many kerbs in this game that are too high and will send you flying if you hit them.
    Don't hit them then. If they're affecting you, they're affecting everyone else just the same, so you'll be faster than them.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
    edited September 13
    Borq said:
    There are way too many kerbs in this game that are too high and will send you flying if you hit them.
    Don't hit them then. If they're affecting you, they're affecting everyone else just the same, so you'll be faster than them.
    Doesn't mean it's not an issue, especially as the AI is only minimally affected on a lot of kerbs due to its simplified physics relative to the player physics.
  • BorqBorq Member New Car Smell
    Borq said:
    That is not my issue. If you watch any real life onboard videos from the tracks I mentioned, you can see that they take much more kerb than is possible in this game. If they were like that in real life, I wouldn't be complaining. I just want the tracks to be as realistic as possible.

On the other hand, the kerbs should be way more slippery during the rain. IRL when it's raining you avoid the kerbs as much as possible because they spin you so easily but in this game you can drive over them how much you want.
    Coffer said:
    kevinkirk said:
    Coffer said:
    kevinkirk said:

EstrayOne said:
    Borq said:

Just because the Ferrari's suspension and steering are very vulnerable doesn't mean the kerbs should be that dangerous for every car, as Ferrari are the only ones who have had any issues whatsoever with that this year. The ones in Sochi in particular for instance are intended to be driven over, yet right now a number of them are much too tall compared to the real ones and even the ones that aren't are overly exaggerated or trigger the out-of-track bug.

And no, it's not a setup thing. I've tested that on 110% difficulty, with multiple flashbacks in the same corner to see how the car reacts every time. It's overdone compared to AMS, and given how shoddy the rFactor engine's implementation of kerbs is, it shows that CM are nowhere near as diligent regarding this issue as Reiza are.

>You see the cars bouncing all over the place in real life on them.
    You don't see them jumping on the two left wheels at Monza on turn 1 for instance, so no.

>Some drivers like bottas I think it was, injured his back for hitting them to hard a year or two back.
    You don't have to drive like an idiot like Bottas did in Australia that one time to run into issues with this game's kerbs.
    something tells me if I comment that a stop sign is red, then you are going to reply it isn't. Curbs are suppose to be challenging just like real life. Just because you see LH making them look easy in a merc doesn't they are easy for every driver in every car. Now if you do or don't want the game to represent that reality, then that's another matter. Just keep in mind this is a game that wont let us even spin the car out when we are not on throttle. Cant we please have something reassembling real life like difficult curbs to add a little challenge in driving the car for pete sakes? Its almost boring,  I mean I have the brake pressure at 100 and bias all the way to the rear just to add some excitement and challenge to driving the car.
    Xbox one, controller