Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Wear still high

Hey guys, hope you are enjoying the game... i'm playing on pc and even on 1.6 parts are still wearing fast...i'm heading to silverstone and i need to replace most of my parts for the 4th time in the season...and what about gearbox? almost using 4th as well..usually parts are given me issues at 55%

Comments

• CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Co-Driver
    Im on ps4 using patch 1.5  was 3 laps from the end of the 3rd race and random jeff is on the radio about high gearbox wear. Check at the end 52% after 102 laps. Now ok they are meant to last 6 races,, 3 of 6 and im on 52% would seem about right,, only problem i think the failure point for components has been set too low. Jeff should be telling me about the high wear and issues should start occurring at around 70 to 80%. The way it is now i know in 1 of the practice sessions next race ill hit the 55%ish mark and ill have issues. This shouldn't be the case, we already have random failures in the game and IRL these parts are built to perform right to the end of their life span. @F1Support  can we look into increasing the failure point of components? 
  • MatheusPucci344MatheusPucci344 Member New Car Smell
    Yeah, I'll receive penalty at least twice in this season...hope this gets fixed :)
  • AcereesAcerees Member Wheel Nut
    Im on ps4 using patch 1.5  was 3 laps from the end of the 3rd race and random jeff is on the radio about high gearbox wear. Check at the end 52% after 102 laps. Now ok they are meant to last 6 races,, 3 of 6 and im on 52% would seem about right,, only problem i think the failure point for components has been set too low. Jeff should be telling me about the high wear and issues should start occurring at around 70 to 80%. The way it is now i know in 1 of the practice sessions next race ill hit the 55%ish mark and ill have issues. This shouldn't be the case, we already have random failures in the game and IRL these parts are built to perform right to the end of their life span. @F1Support  can we look into increasing the failure point of components? 
    At around 70% you can look forward to the gearbox taking about 5 seconds to upshift and downshift.  No im not joking this is what they have coded into the game although I have never ever seen that in real modern f1!  
    Thats what s*its me. My 50% gearbox wear after almost 3 races is actually quite spot on but when you consider the game thinks 50% after 3 races is 'high wear' you know there is a problem. @F1Support needs to up the wear threshold by about 30%. Random jeff should be telling me "we are seeing average wear" when im at 50% not yelling at me about high wear and to conserve.
    @F1Support @jennyannem can we get a response on this? Has it been logged? Do you guys think its even a problem? Do you need more info?
    Would be great to hear sone thoughts. 
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    I thought they just fixed this issue? Also have you bought any durability upgrades as they certainly help.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

The 'wear rate' is not the issue. The durability upgrades mean that a part will wear at a lower rate. The problem lies where the game thinks that 50% wear is high. 50% wear on a gearbox after 3 races is average wear. Im happy with the wear rate, just not with components starting to fail at 70odd % that's just not realistic. We have random engine and component failures in races just like they do in real life, but in real life you dont get teams starting to worry about conserving parts at 50%, and you certainly dont see gearboxes giving out at 70%, they are built to go right to the end and beyond. 
  • F1SupportF1Support Member, Codemasters Co-Driver
    Component wear rates are something we are continuing to look at
    edited September 14
    F1Support said:
    Component wear rates are something we are continuing to look at
    Thank you for that.  I think that even new parts should have a very small chance of failure (including total failures as in real life). But the chance of failure shouldn't be near 100% when wear passes 50%. Post 1.6b patch PC I think for 50% weekends with the mclaren for me the wear % / laps life for each unit is about right (maybe a touch high - no reliability upgrades done, mclaren need to be breaking down in the first half of the season but as it is developed it should be able to perform without reliability issues in season 2 - hopefully that is the case in game).  What is wrong is that once you go over 50% wear you are almost guaranteed to have race effecting issues.  For me I would set failure rates as 1% for wear from 0% up to 90% and then add 5% every 1% after that upto 95% (which would have a failure rate of around 26%) then add 15% for every % after that so 99% wear would have a 86% chance of failure. 100% wear would then = 101% chance of failure (or you could even allow the possibility of parts outlasting their recommended working life?).  Obviously I understand there has to be some incentive to do the upgrades to reliability so they should just affect the laps each unit can do (which I think is the way you have programmed it).
  • NowthenfellaNowthenfella Member New Car Smell
    Same here. Sauber career on ps4. In spain and gearbox is losing gears on 53%. It is undrivable with automatic gears. I guess career is on the back burner again.
    edited September 14
    Same here. Sauber career on ps4. In spain and gearbox is losing gears on 53%. It is undrivable with automatic gears. I guess career is on the back burner again.
    I am driving with manual gears it won't change gears regardless due to the simulated "fault" of the gearbox.  It's horrible :disappointed: maybe I could have forgiven a 0.5 second delay or in an extreme case a second delay. With that type of delay it would really affect your thinking and style approaching corners and you would lose a lot of time but you would not have to retire.  Had a different fault with the gearbox at 70% wear it lost gear 3.  It did come back after about 1:30 minutes to get lost again a good while after.  I didn't mind this type of problem as I have seen this happen IRL and it does make you think and check yourself a little more but you can adjust.  I found it was better to stay in forth for corners that I would have usually gone into 3rd for rather than dropping into second and have to drift through the corner.  Later in the corner I could drop into second to try and get better acceleration which left my vounrable on the straights.  I quite enjoyed that challenge. 
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Team Principal
    I thought that with some durability upgrades the wear really isn't much of a problem. I took one penalty for my gearbox early in the season and after that I made over 7 races on one gearbox without ever reaching the 55% danger point again. When I took the gearbox penalty I also ordered a 5th unit for every PU component so I started at the back once, and didn't have a single failure or another penalty for the rest of the season.

If anything I think the wear is too manageable/predictable. AI constantly suffers from random failures ( at least 1/2 of the top team drivers slow down or DNF every race ) while for the player it's never really a problem if you just keep an eye at the wear and just switch parts at the right time. I wish there was a bit more of a random element to it, in 4 seasons I have never DNF'd because of component wear or mechanical failures.
    @F1Support  i don't think its the actual rate of the wear,, i think since the patch its spot on, i think the problem is the threshold for failure, parts shouldn't be failing at 70% and certainly not considered high wear at 50%. Just think the threshold needs to be bumped up so you get high wear warnings at around 75% and start to see the effects of high wear at 85% (for minimal things like slight lag in shift) and then around 90% for more major issues. To have a gearbox take 4 seconds to shift at 70% wear makes no sense.