Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Is there a limit to the amount of engine parts?

Hi guys,

I am currently in my first season at Spa with McLaren Honda. Right now I'm on my 6th ICE and MGU-K. I have a total of 8 available and I don't see any options to get any new parts? There used to be a plus sign I could click, but I don't see it anymore... I have invested in the reliability updates, but there's no way I'm going to finish the rest of the season with just 2 ICE's and MGU-K's remaining.

I'm also on my 4th gearbox of 6, and again I don't see any options to get a new gearbox. Am I looking in the wrong place or are there limits to the amounts of gearboxes and engine parts?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• karting111karting111 Member Unleaded
    Engine components are limited to 8 and gearbox is limited to 6
  • SASColferSASColfer Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 13
    I think 8 is the limit. But Lee Mather has stated on twitter that there shouldn't be a limit. Guessing its a bug.

6 for gearboxes.
  • NoManorsNoManors Member New Car Smell
    Thanks, I guess I should have invested earlier in the reliability upgrades! Or maybe adjust my driving style...
  • Jan1905Jan1905 Member New Car Smell
    I always change the engine parts before training to older ones if they are not over 70 %. Before race i go back to fresh parts. 
  • DolphinGrayA4DolphinGrayA4 Member Unleaded
    There no way you should have used 6 by Spa. You must be over revving a lot! Try to shift before the led bar starts flashing and the gear indicator turns red.

The first thing i did was upgrade reliability (McLaren). Ill spend my whole first season doing that. Then comes power.
    I do wonder if there is a limit though. Would be interesting if there was. Hasnt Fernando used like 9 engines so far this year?
  • NoManorsNoManors Member New Car Smell
    There no way you should have used 6 by Spa. You must be over revving a lot! Try to shift before the led bar starts flashing and the gear indicator turns red.

The first thing i did was upgrade reliability (McLaren). Ill spend my whole first season doing that. Then comes power.
    Yeah maybe, I have the habit to downshift to slow the car down. For example turn 4 on the Hungaroring. I usually shift down one gear before turning in, which results in slightly over revving of the car. 

Jan1905 said:
    I always change the engine parts before training to older ones if they are not over 70 %. Before race i go back to fresh parts. 
    Thanks, this might be useful. I stop using the engine parts when they are in the 55-60% range. I guess I can get a little more life out of them in the practice sessions.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion

I did in my first season but then I think I may have been affected by the wear bug that has since been fixed. I worked around it in the end by limiting the amount of practice programs I did. As I just focused on the qualifying and race strategy programs for the last few races of my Season 1 and didn't do the others. Thankfully Season 2 with Ferrari was better but I still ended up needing to use 6 by the end of the year whereas in year 1 I ended up needing all 8.

Thankfully I have more durability upgrades on my Ferrari for Season 3 so hopefully it'll be better again when I do that season. As I spent most of my resource points in between finishing Season 2 and starting Season 3 on durability upgrades. So most of the components aer now at level 2 durability I'm hoping that's enough to either not need more than the standard 4  or at most add  a 5th column maybe late on. Especially as I was able to make rows 1 and 2 last all the way from the start of the season until Canada in Season 2. It was only when I go t to the power circuits in the middle of the season that I found I needed more so I'm hoping that won't be the case this year but  I think that's because I only had level 1 durability then on the parts. Now I'm on 2 I think I'll be better. But then I've kind of been doing what Aarava's been doing in his vids mostly because that system works best for me as well.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• PercocetPantherPercocetPanther Member New Car Smell
    I personally used my first few purchases on the R&D tree trying to ensure reliability, so that the components will be durable when I start buying them.
  • PR3D4TORPR3D4TOR Member Unleaded
    edited September 13
    NoManors said:
    I'm on my 6th ICE and MGU-K. 
    Yeah in Russia in my first season (Haas) i had to replace the ICE already and the first MGU-K was VERY worn (had to be replaced for the race) and once i figuered out what to do to preserve these components i never had even a close call (under 60% for 5 race weekends with most practice programs done with older components).

MGU-K: Stop using Rich mix very often. It kills the MGU-K (and also damages the MGU-H because engine temps are higher). 
    ICE: Dont go offtrack and especially avoid hitting curbs heavy. Helps a lot.
    Gearbox: No overreving the engine, no hammering in the gears when downshifting.

Also get the durability upgrade ASAP (30% better Durability)
  • akinozdemirakinozdemir Member Unleaded
    I'm at my 4th components for each at Singapour and it seems I can use them in Malaysia.

I guess you didn't pay a lot on durability, I mostly paid for this.

Lee confirmed on Twitter in the past that there is no number limit for components but subject to penalty.
  • RegmaesterRegmaester Member Wheel Nut
    PR3D4TOR said:
    NoManors said:
    I'm on my 6th ICE and MGU-K. 
    Yeah in Russia in my first season (Haas) i had to replace the ICE already and the first MGU-K was VERY worn (had to be replaced for the race) and once i figuered out what to do to preserve these components i never had even a close call (under 60% for 5 race weekends with most practice programs done with older components).

MGU-K: Stop using Rich mix very often. It kills the MGU-K (and also damages the MGU-H because engine temps are higher). 
    ICE: Dont go offtrack and especially avoid hitting curbs heavy. Helps a lot.
    Gearbox: No overreving the engine, no hammering in the gears when downshifting.

Also get the durability upgrade ASAP (30% better Durability)
    Quick correction:

curbs and offtrack damages the EC, not the ICE
  • SnowLeopardSnowLeopard Member New Car Smell
    You can't adjust when you shift when using automatic transmission.... which is the only way to affect gearbox wear afaik (driving style wise, not considering durability upgrades).
    I restarted my career after the last patch;  I picked gearbox durability as upgrades from the start, but I still took a penalty for changing 1st gearbox after 4 races, but not all upgrades were used on it.  The 2nd gearbox has lasted 6 races, and I don't think I'll have to take anymore gearbox penalties this season.

Oh yeah, sorry meant the CE, nvm what i said about curbs. The CE was done for me after 4 races. 
    For the ICE: Do not overrev it. Helps a lot for me.
    You can't adjust when you shift when using automatic transmission.... which is the only way to affect gearbox wear afaik (driving style wise, not considering durability upgrades).
    I restarted my career after the last patch;  I picked gearbox durability as upgrades from the start, but I still took a penalty for changing 1st gearbox after 4 races, but not all upgrades were used on it.  The 2nd gearbox has lasted 6 races, and I don't think I'll have to take anymore gearbox penalties this season.

Ive always used a manual (in real life as well) and its so much better. You should try to play msnual and get used to it. It makes the game more fun since you can control the car more. 

If you understeer mid corner, just downshift and it helps rotate the car etc. Also helps keeping out of high revs to save the engine.
  • pijinpijin Member Petrol Head
    All the suggestions about preserving parts is well and good, but for someone like me, who went aggressive on performance upgrades, with little regard for durability, I have found myself with 6 races to go and only 1.5ish sets of fresh components, and only 2 gearboxes with less than 60% wear. I don't think either component is limited in reality, so I don't see the point in limiting it in the game. I'd much prefer to run a fresh unit every race just to keep up with development rather than reliability for the first season or so, then once I'm up to speed, I plan on investing in reliability.
    Every turbocharger, every combustion engine (not only in F1 cars) has a limited lifespan and loses power until it breaks down. These are mechanical parts with limited lifespan. Some last longer than others but they break down eventually. Even Volvos :P
  • Imhotep222Imhotep222 Member New Car Smell

I thought that, but even when using auto shifts the shift up/down buttons work. So what I sometimes do is press A to shift up early on the straights to save a bit of engine wear. Doesn't help reduce number of shifts though, which I think is the main driver of gearbox wear.