Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Frustrations with wet weather (repost, posted in wrong forum)

First of all, so it doesn't seem like I'm just here to moan, I want to express how impressed I am with the latest patch. Qualifying has been fixed and most of the irritating bugs have been ironed out, so great job Codies. I do still have a few issues with the game, though:

For one, there are way too many wet/intermediate sessions. Practice usually isn't an issue, but there are simply an unrealistic number of wet qualifying sessions and races. This problem is compounded by the fact that the AI are not very good in wet conditions at all. I raised this last year and it was one of few issues I had with what I thought was a great game, and it still seems to be a problem on 2017. You might suggest that this is purely subjective and down to individual player skill, but I can guess that most here will have experienced a wet race or qualifying session where you may not have driven particularly well but you ended up in a higher position than normal. This sucks most of the fun out of races and makes them predictable and boring. I usually end up simming these races too.

I doubt this will get much attention because it's not a bug or something that many people want 'fixed' but I thought it important to raise it here anyway just to see how everyone else feels about it

p.s. sorry for the repost!

Comments

• CofferCoffer Member Unleaded
    It's entirely because the AI runs default setups. With mixed or even dry setups, it's definitely still easier, but not to a ridiculous degree like it was last year.
  • sirio994sirio994 Member Unleaded
    edited September 14
    Wet sessions were really hard before the patch (probably bugged, not balanced and the AI was not affected by track's grjp). They fix them, now maybe a little bit easy. Even though i like them. Most of the time i use default setups so i don't take that advantage. In general i prefer it on the easy side. 100% distance, no assists, no flashbacks is the challenge for me. In a wet race i know i will be faster but make some mistakes. They are slower but perfect. 

IMHO Codemasters should redefine the AI system for F12018. Better but more uman AI.

The problem right now with wet is that they can't make the AI faster and less perfect (as it should since they don't miss a single breaking point or lose traction in a whole wet race)...
  • KevRusskiKevRusski Member Unleaded
    Sadly, most of the bugs have not been fixed.
  • Dez0808Dez0808 Member Wheel Nut
    Still amazed some people are having so many wet weather sessions. Never get them my self. What race distance are you doing out of interest?
  • RoundTheOutsideRoundTheOutside Member New Car Smell
    edited September 14
    Dez0808 said:
    Still amazed some people are having so many wet weather sessions. Never get them my self. What race distance are you doing out of interest?

I'm doing 50% races, currently at Monaco in my second season and I've already had a wet qualifying session in Australia and wet races in China, Russia and Spain.

sirio994 said:
    Wet sessions were really hard before the patch (probably bugged, not balanced and the AI was not affected by track's grjp). They fix them, now maybe a little bit easy. Even though i like them. Most of the time i use default setups so i don't take that advantage. In general i prefer it on the easy side. 100% distance, no assists, no flashbacks is the challenge for me. In a wet race i know i will be faster but make some mistakes. They are slower but perfect. 

IMHO Codemasters should redefine the AI system for F12018. Better but more uman AI.

The problem right now with wet is that they can't make the AI faster and less perfect (as it should since they don't miss a single breaking point or lose traction in a whole wet race)...

Yeah I can see why it might be difficult to get right. Perhaps I should relax some of the assists and take flashbacks off and then I'll be under pressure to drive more carefully instead of ragging the car around
  • Dez0808Dez0808 Member Wheel Nut
    When driving in rain I find being slow is fast. 
  • JayJay686JayJay686 Member Wheel Nut
    sirio994 said:

This!! AI must make More mistakes or at least have to have some unpredictable lap times...
  • RodrigoMendesRodrigoMendes Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 14
    Did you guys play with any assists on? Because with assists on is IMPOSSIBLE to have the same pace than IA on wet. Impossible. At least on 100% difficulty.

Not because of the grip, but mainly because seems that they use ABS or something. When they brake on 100m, we need 150m. 

And yes, there's TOO MUCH rainy days on the game. They need to change this or at least make this optional.
  • sirio994sirio994 Member Unleaded
    edited September 14
    Assists off for me. The best combination i've tried is everything off and TC to medium (but i don't use it). I don't know maybe it's me but the AI is too fast and too consistent in wet weather expecially in transition (slicks on intermediate track and intermediates on full wet track).

I was in the lead when the rain started in Australia. The AI neutralized the gap (more than 10 seconds) on me in two laps on slicks (i went to pit when they did). Then my pace was in line (a bit slower compared to dry). It's crazy what the AI can do on wrong tyres while we struggle to keep the car on track...
  • JensonBottomJensonBottom Member Pit Crew
    I find the AI slightly slower in the wet compared to their dry pace, all assists off.
    Otherwise known as TomM_F1 and AquaF1.
  • pijinpijin Member Co-Driver
    Yeah, wet weather is where I can do some standout performances in my McHonda, such as a podium in Spain or Q3 in Canada (103 AI). I don't think the AI is slower or faster per sé, but there is definitely a larger dependance on player skill than car pace (inters and full wet). So if you are losing a lot of time to the AI in the wet, then you just aren't driving very well in the wet. I know it's tough to hear, but that is just the case. Some people's driving style just is compromised by inherent limitations in wet weather. For example, if you like entering with high speed and leaning on the rear end to make your lap time, then you won't be very good since rear traction is horrible in the wet. You have to be very good at front end and throttle control and trail braking is what I've found